News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15476
Latest: mergeink
New This Month: 98
New This Week: 13
New Today: 8
Stats
Total Posts: 126888
Total Topics: 15559
Most Online Today: 105
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 68
Total: 79

Additional Mini Trees

Started by Geod, January 30, 2021, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geod

I have 1 mini tree and star in my layout.   There are 100 pixels. 80 for the tree and 20 for the star.

I want to add 3 more mini trees with same configuration.   Is it best to daisy chain the 4 trees and use just one port (if that is possible).   Or set up each tree and star using 4 ports?

This will be my second year using xlights so I may be asking something that is very obvious to most people.

Kensington Graves

Depends on where you place your controller and power, and also how your show is laid out.  There's no "best way" to do it.  If you do not want to inject power, and assuming you are using 12v pixels, then running each tree from the controller is one way to accomplish that goal.

jnealand

I run my 100 node minis as two trees daisy chained for 200 nodes per port.  I run my 60 node mini trees as 4 trees daisy chained for 240 nodes per port.  12v @ 20%  no power injection.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Geod

Thank you for the replies

JNEALAND:   How far was your controller from the trees?

pixelpuppy

It depends on how high you want to run the intensity (controller max brightness setting).  Many of us run the lights at 30%, especially for props like mini trees that tend to be closer to the viewers.

The general rule of thumb for 12v pixels is if you run 100% brightness (most of us don't) then run each port with 100 nodes
If you run 50% brightness then you can run each port with 200 nodes (in your case 2 mini-trees daisy chained on one port)
If you run 33% brightness then you can run each port with 300 nodes (in your case 3 mini-trees daisy chained on one port)

This is all based on not using power injection.  If you want to use power injection then you can chain up to 800 nodes on one port

In  your case, being first year and new to all this.  My suggestion is to daisy-chain two mini-trees on each port (2 trees on each of 2 ports for 4 trees total).  And set the controller max brightness to 30%-50%.  30% should be plenty but you can experiment to see if you like 40% or 50% better.  I wouldn't run it over 50%
-Mark

jnealand

Quote from: Geod on January 31, 2021, 06:22:28 AMJNEALAND:   How far was your controller from the trees?

With the mini trees effectively in the middle of them,  With the larger trees I use a 15 ft extension to one pair and a 20 ft to the other pair.  I used to run things at 30% but we tried 20% and think the colors look better.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Geod

Thank you, Thank you!!!!

LOTS of great advise here

GEOD