News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15532
Latest: travispauley
New This Month: 40
New This Week: 28
New Today: 6
Stats
Total Posts: 127448
Total Topics: 15647
Most Online Today: 74
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 43
Total: 46

Can XLights use the WS2801 port on a rPi-28D?

Started by thompsone, April 02, 2021, 01:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thompsone

I'm trying to use an rPi-28D (from Hanson Electronics) with a Raspberry Pi 3B+ for my first year display.  In addition to a big pile of new WS2811 pixels, I have some WS2801 pixels around from earlier decorations using an Arduino, and I wanted to use them in my display.  

I can set up the port for them in FPP, but there doesn't seem to be a way to set up XLights to use that port.  The rPi-28D manual talks about setting up XLights using the pihat model for the WS2811 ports and DMX, but is silent on WS2801.  I tried hacking the fpp.xcontroller file with no success.

Has anyone done this or have any ideas?

Thanks!

AAH

You can configure FPP manually to do it but currently I don't know if it's possible to get Xlights to do a FPP connect successfully. I'm currently working on adding more of my controllers to the hanson.xcontroller file but will have to get advice from the xlights and fpp gurus on how to configure things properly.

dkulp

Not at this time and it's not likely something we'll work on in xLights until FPP 5 is closer to release.   The Pi's string page will likely be merged with the BBB string page and work more like the BBB version where you select a cape/hat and it will display the options for that hat.   Once that is ready, we'll likely look closer into the xLights changes that will be needed to support it.
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

thompsone

Thanks for the info, Daniel.

Hopefully that will come together in time for this year.  If not, I'll adapt and come up with something else next year.

thompsone

I had a chance to experiment more, with more blinkies hooked up.  Based on what Alan said, I tried turning off all the auto stuff in xlights, and set up a 2801 string and a 2811 string by channel numbers in both fpp and xlights. I was able to drive both strings in test and with a sequence from xlights.

So it looks like these pixels will work for this year, as long as I configure things the hard way.