Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 57
Total: 63

xlights controller question

Started by bossier17, April 18, 2021, 09:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bossier17

I had a quick question about the controller screen on Xlights.  I'm sure this is a dumb question, but xlights does such a fantastic job configuring everything behind the scenes that sometimes I'm not sure what it is doing.   Everything is working fine, but I was wondering why on the controller page I have an F16V3 as well as an FPP and FPP1 listed?   When I watch tutorials it doesn't seem other people have these extra "controllers" show up.   

Thanks!

You cannot view this attachment.

jnealand

I'm not an expert, but this is my understanding. 

FPP is not normally a controller unless it has a hat or gpio connections.  We (been there done that) tend to list it because it is controlling our show, but in reality it is not a controller and should not be listed there.  I think the only way it gets there is if you put it there.  The way you get an FPP1 or xxx1 is because you added another device with the same default name without changing the name of the first one.  All my FPP are named with a logical name ie, "frontporch", " sideyard", "arches", etc.  If you go thru FPPConnect you will notice that it always searches for FPP instances.  it is searching the network and not your controller list.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

pixelpuppy

Quote from: jnealand on April 18, 2021, 10:25:30 AMFPP is not normally a controller unless it has a hat or gpio connections. 
...or is operating in Bridge Mode.

Quote from: jnealand on April 18, 2021, 10:25:30 AMI think the only way it gets there is if you put it there.
...or if you click the "Discover" button on the xLights Controllers screen
-Mark

bossier17

Is there a downside to them being listed?  I only set up the F16V3 controller, but probably clicked "Discover" back when I was setting it up and troubleshooting my network settings.  Should I delete them, or does it matter?  They also show up under my Channel Outputs on the FPP, but probably because I Upload Output through Xlights. 

I also frequently get an error on the FPP Control Home Page that says "Abnormal Conditions - May Cause Poor Performance.  Received DDP data from 192.168.0.100."  It doesn't seem to affect anything and everything runs like it should, but would getting rid of the FPP and FPP1 from the controller list possibly help with that error?

Thanks again for all the help and clarification.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

dkulp

There is normally no "down side", but it is consuming channels.  

However, there is an "up side" to having them there.   When you hit FPP Connect, it will automatically check any controllers that are listed so you don't need to rely on discovery to find them.   Makes it slightly more reliable. 

In general, I have my "master" listed at the bottom, but only have it assigned 100 channels or so (DDP).  It's really just there to aid in discovery.
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com