News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15461
Latest: kevuk77
New This Month: 84
New This Week: 38
New Today: 4
Stats
Total Posts: 126754
Total Topics: 15532
Most Online Today: 139
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 77
Total: 85

F48v4

Started by Christmasdisplay100, September 04, 2021, 04:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmasdisplay100

Has anyone recieved the new version 4 yet because I ordered my controller in July and the website has been updated now saying late August first week. Of Sept I'm not sure why though

darylc

The F16v4's have started shipping but the F48v4's have taken a bit longer to arrive, need to be patient unfortunately.

nmiller0113

@darylc, do you know if they are getting more in and how far out they are shipping by chance? I'm hoping to have mine by early October. I ordered a little over a week ago. Thanks for any updates you may have!

zanyhunter

Quote from: nmiller0113 on September 14, 2021, 05:36:04 PMdo you know if they are getting more in and how far out they are shipping by chance?
I ordered my F48V4 the day they were released (7/11) and received a "shipped" notification this evening (9/14) so they're definitely starting to ship widespread.

nmiller0113

That's good news. I hope to hear the same soon, though I only ordered mine recently so I'm sure it will be some time behind everyone else's orders. All I'm really curious about is whether all the stock has come in and whether the only waiting now is the order of shipment and we're not waiting on hardware to still arrive to fill all shipments. Fingers crossed!

socalmatt

Ordered an F48v4 on 7/11 with some SmartReceiver v2.00s, received the order in full today.

nmiller0113

I see on the website that it says orders before 9/17 will be shipping soon. So I hope that soon is before the end of the month. I ordered my F48v4 and 6 of the 2.0 SmartReceivers on 9/5.

headstrong2740

New to the Hobby and looking to get some controllers ordered.

Any ideas on when these will be available to order again? 
At this time of year, I suspect it will be a while before they are back in stock or at least taking orders again, but could be wrong.

I can not purchase the F48v4 or the F16v4 right now.

I was hoping to get a a controller built yet this year so i can start planning for next year holidays (Halloween/Christmas).

jgillie

Quote from: headstrong2740 on September 18, 2021, 05:31:18 AMAny ideas on when these will be available to order again?
The F48v4 listing says that limited supply may become available in 4-5 weeks. Hope there are more on the way for you! I am new to the hobby this year and ordered my F48 in August. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Poporacer

Quote from: headstrong2740 on September 18, 2021, 05:31:18 AMI was hoping to get a a controller built yet this year so i can start planning for next year holidays (Halloween/Christmas)
There is the KulpLights.com line of controllers that are a very good controller as well. The K40D-PB Is similar to the F48 but in some ways a little more powerful.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

bloojoop

Quote from: Poporacer on September 18, 2021, 08:07:37 AMThere is the KulpLights.com line of controllers that are a very good controller as well. The K32A-B Is similar to the F48 but in some ways a little more powerful.
I always viewed the K40D-pb to be closer to the F48 as it is also a differential controller without local ports.  But both are great controllers.
--Ron A.

headstrong2740

Quote from: Poporacer on September 18, 2021, 08:07:37 AM
Quote from: headstrong2740 on September 18, 2021, 05:31:18 AMI was hoping to get a a controller built yet this year so i can start planning for next year holidays (Halloween/Christmas)
There is the KulpLights.com line of controllers that are a very good controller as well. The K32A-B Is similar to the F48 but in some ways a little more powerful.
I just came across those this morning as well... so i am doing a little digging to see what all it would take.

I'm hesitant to purchase anything until I have an understanding of what I would need for my Small display plan.
The plan this year is to only run 6 mini trees with about 100-120 Pixels each and 4-6 arches (~9'). with Strips inside them.

So planning the controller(s) setup and trying to keep cost low for the first year is the goal 

My plan is to run xLights on my system as well.

Poporacer

Quote from: bloojoop on September 18, 2021, 10:30:37 AMI always viewed the K40D-pb to be closer to the F48 as it is also a differential controller without local ports.
Oops, I quoted the wrong one, I corrected my post, thanks.

Quote from: headstrong2740 on September 19, 2021, 05:50:33 AMI'm hesitant to purchase anything until I have an understanding of what I would need for my Small display plan.
That is a great idea. Many newcomers will buy a controller based on a google search...Bad idea! Others will buy the F48 thinking that because it has more ports it is better. That is no usually true. There are several different "styles" of show controller layouts and the best one is the one that YOU want.

There is no right or wrong way (unless it doesn't work for you) They all have advantages and disadvantages.

The F48 and K40 controllers are commonly used for a "Centralized" type of layout. This is usually used for displays that are wide spread or where the user wants to have one main controller and several smaller "control points" where the pixel strings are connected. The biggest disadvantage is that in addition to the controller, you have to but a separate receiver (and usually a power supply) to actually connect your pixels and the receivers only have 4 ports. You also have to run networking cables from your main controller to each of your "access points"

The other style of controllers (F4, F16, K4, K8, K16, K32, etc.) are "Direct Drive" style controllers (my terminology, not an official term) where you have several ports to connect pixels directly on the controller. These are probably the most versatile style of controller since they have local ports for your props that are relatively close to each other but also have expansion capabilities to use Remote receivers to connect outlying props if needed.

That is the basic concept and you can even combine the methods. Like I said, the right way, is the way that works for you.

Quote from: headstrong2740 on September 19, 2021, 05:50:33 AMSo planning the controller(s) setup and trying to keep cost low for the first year is the goal 
Be careful on trying to cut costs too much because it could cost you way more in the end. Buy a controller that will not only control what you have now, but will handle your near future plans (once you get started, you WILL keep growing!)
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

headstrong2740

Quote from: Poporacer on September 19, 2021, 08:57:41 AM
Quote from: bloojoop on September 18, 2021, 10:30:37 AMI always viewed the K40D-pb to be closer to the F48 as it is also a differential controller without local ports.
Oops, I quoted the wrong one, I corrected my post, thanks.

Quote from: headstrong2740 on September 19, 2021, 05:50:33 AMI'm hesitant to purchase anything until I have an understanding of what I would need for my Small display plan.
That is a great idea. Many newcomers will buy a controller based on a google search...Bad idea! Others will buy the F48 thinking that because it has more ports it is better. That is no usually true. There are several different "styles" of show controller layouts and the best one is the one that YOU want.

There is no right or wrong way (unless it doesn't work for you) They all have advantages and disadvantages.

The F48 and K40 controllers are commonly used for a "Centralized" type of layout. This is usually used for displays that are wide spread or where the user wants to have one main controller and several smaller "control points" where the pixel strings are connected. The biggest disadvantage is that in addition to the controller, you have to but a separate receiver (and usually a power supply) to actually connect your pixels and the receivers only have 4 ports. You also have to run networking cables from your main controller to each of your "access points"

The other style of controllers (F4, F16, K4, K8, K16, K32, etc.) are "Direct Drive" style controllers (my terminology, not an official term) where you have several ports to connect pixels directly on the controller. These are probably the most versatile style of controller since they have local ports for your props that are relatively close to each other but also have expansion capabilities to use Remote receivers to connect outlying props if needed.

That is the basic concept and you can even combine the methods. Like I said, the right way, is the way that works for you.

Quote from: headstrong2740 on September 19, 2021, 05:50:33 AMSo planning the controller(s) setup and trying to keep cost low for the first year is the goal
Be careful on trying to cut costs too much because it could cost you way more in the end. Buy a controller that will not only control what you have now, but will handle your near future plans (once you get started, you WILL keep growing!)
Agree 100 % with everything you said.

And by keep cost low.. i should have said i am keeping the display this year small so as not to spend a whole bunch up front. i will add on to it over the years and grow it bigger. I am only planning some trees and arches for now. I will add a mega tree or two later, some display boards, etc down the road.

pixelpuppy

Quote from: headstrong2740 on September 20, 2021, 11:17:57 PMAnd by keep cost low.. i should have said i am keeping the display this year small so as not to spend a whole bunch up front. i will add on to it over the years and grow it bigger. I am only planning some trees and arches for now. I will add a mega tree or two later, some display boards, etc down the road.
Take a look at the Kulp K8 (currently my favorite controller :D  )

It has 8 local ports for driving pixels directly, plus 3 differential jacks to run 3 differential receivers for an additional 12 remote ports (or even more if you daisy-chain smart receivers), AND a ribbon cable expansion port to add 16 more ports (either local or differential) down the road.   VERY versatile and expandable board, great for starting out small with lots of growth capability  8)
-Mark