Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 61
Total: 68

How to connect F16V4 to Wifi Network

Started by barnn1151, September 17, 2021, 11:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnn1151

Has anyone made a tutorial on how to connect the F16v4 to a Wifi network? I am new to the hobby, but it seems I have everything configured correctly. I have manually connected other devices to this network, but having no luck with my new F16v4?!?

k6ccc

Someone who is more familiar with it will have to give details, but the WiFi capability of the F16 is highly limited.  I don't know if that changed with the F16v4 vs the F16v3.  NFD.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

JonD

I don't think they have released a manual for the V4 yet.  I am not lucky enough to have my V4 board yet.   Best guess you will need to attach to it with an ethernet cable and see if you can configure it from the web admin page.  As far as I know WiFi never worked with the V3 boards.  If there are not any WiFi options on the admin page it might not be available yet. 

Unless you have a really small display, Wifi is not going to be a great option.  WiFi has a lot of lag and your lights will not change correctly, or not work at all.  You would not likely want to run the show from your home wifi network either.  You would want it on a separate network dedicated to the light show only.  Otherwise, someone at home streaming Netflix would cause issues. 

There are situations that WiFi comes in handy, but they are limited.  If you are new... you would be better off running a cord and getting them to work first, and then see if you can get them to work via WiFi.

jnealand

Wifi as used in a master remote setup does not have any LAG.  Wifi used for direct control, ie. no sequences uploaded to the controller will have LAG.  Blanket statements saying wifi has LAG are incorrect and should always be qualified.

All that being said, there is no user experience YET using wifi for anything with the V4 and the V3 experience was not particularly good.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on September 18, 2021, 11:47:15 AMI don't think they have released a manual for the V4 yet.  I am not lucky enough to have my V4 board yet.   Best guess you will need to attach to it with an ethernet cable and see if you can configure it from the web admin page.
The new V4 boards will broadcast an SSID  just like FPP (on supported devices) so you can get into it without connecting a network cable

Quote from: JonD on September 18, 2021, 11:47:15 AMAs far as I know WiFi never worked with the V3 boards.
Wi-Fi has been working on the V3 boards for several years now....but in a VERY limited capacity.

Quote from: JonD on September 18, 2021, 11:47:15 AMUnless you have a really small display, Wifi is not going to be a great option.  WiFi has a lot of lag and your lights will not change correctly, or not work at all.

That is TOTALLY incorrect. There are people with large shows running Wi-Fi with NO lag. For example, last year there was someone with an entire park running on Wi Fi with 72 remotes. I personally use 6 Wi Fi remotes.

Quote from: JonD on September 18, 2021, 11:47:15 AMYou would not likely want to run the show from your home wifi network either.  You would want it on a separate network dedicated to the light show only.  Otherwise, someone at home streaming Netflix would cause issues.
Again, that is NOT typically correct. A Master Remote sync packet is extremely small even for a show with a million pixels.

Quote from: JonD on September 18, 2021, 11:47:15 AMThere are situations that WiFi comes in handy, but they are limited.
Again, not correct per se, it is only limited if your Wi Fi communication is not sufficient.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

pixelpuppy

Quote from: JonD on September 18, 2021, 11:47:15 AMUnless you have a really small display, Wifi is not going to be a great option.
I have a fairly large display (over 200,000 channels, 12 controllers, 3 different P10/P5 LED panel matrixes) and WiFi is a GREAT option for me  :)

Quote from: JonD on September 18, 2021, 11:47:15 AMWiFi has a lot of lag and your lights will not change correctly, or not work at all.
My WiFi has no lag and my lights change and work correctly.  :D

Quote from: jnealand on September 19, 2021, 10:03:07 AMBlanket statements saying wifi has LAG are incorrect and should always be qualified.
I agree completely!  ;D
-Mark

rayster

If you are getting a lot of lag you could be on 1 of the 11 channels your neighbor is on. When WI-FI equipment is on the same channel as a close other system they turn down there power. WI-FI is what is called a FCC Part 15 system, there system have to receive interference but can not interfere with licensed system. The licensed users are Amateur Radio Operators, Radiolocation systems and Portable radio systems. All of there user can use a lot more output power then Wi-Fi up to 1500 watts where Wi-Fi is in milla-watts.
Ray
Using K8-B, Rpi 3b w/PiHat, Rpi 3b+ w/ PiHat, K4-PB

JonD

Quote from: pixelpuppy on September 19, 2021, 11:43:33 AMI have a fairly large display (over 200,000 channels, 12 controllers, 3 different P10/P5 LED panel matrixes) and WiFi is a GREAT option for me 
I am assuming you are using a master/remote solution if using wifi on 200,000 channels?  The Master/Remote is not an option using LOR software that I am aware.  I stand by my recommendation that a new LOR user should start with an ethernet cable and once working, they can play with WiFi all they want.  Respect that others may disagree, but hope they are at least using LOR software if that is the case.

JonD

Sorry, k6ccc has a signature that stated he is using LOR,  I saw the LOR and thought barnn1151 was using LOR software.   My Bad!  I am assuming the Master/Remote feature is just copying the files to the controller.  That would work fine as you are just using WiFi to copy and the controller takes over from there.  LOR is feed directly from the computer real-time, and if the WiFi conditions are not ideal your going to have lag using wireless.