News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15512
Latest: bfrisan
New This Month: 20
New This Week: 8
New Today: 8
Stats
Total Posts: 127205
Total Topics: 15614
Most Online Today: 71
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 15
Total: 18

Falcon F16V4 install on PC

Started by grumpy_pilot, October 06, 2021, 06:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy_pilot

Hi all, 

Please could someone point me in the right direction where to look on the forum, or if you could answer the below would be great too.

I have just bought the Falcon F16v4, my level is complete beginner. I do not have a R.Pi, I was planning on running the controller/show from my home PC. Is this advisable or should I invest in a R.Pi?

I currently have my board plugged into the Ethernet port on my PC for configuration all powered up.
Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to install the controller for configuration on my PC. I have tried typing the ip address of the controller in the search bar. Nothing happens

I am not an IT guru (far from it), 

your help is greatly appreciated 

thanks

algerdes

To use the setup as you describe it, the IP address of your computer and the IP address of the controller need to be on the same "subnet".  (e.g., computer 192.168.1.10, controller 192.168.1.11) (Subnet is considered the first three octets). 

Your computer needs some sort of "player".  xSchedule is a good one that runs directly on the computer and comes with xLights.  Google it and you will find some really good instructions provided by its creator - Keith.  He is also one of the primary programmers for xLights. 

You asked should you invest in a player such as FPP.  I would say yes, but that is my opinion.  The above works just as well if you can give up your computer while the show is running.  FPP is a combination of a player (FPP) and a small credit card sized computer (Raspberry PI or Beagle Bone) that sits off to the side and just sends instructions to all your connected controllers.  You sequence your show on your computer then upload the results to the FPP.  The FPP runs the show and the controllers make the lights blink.

There are tons of instructionals available for you to see how it works out.  Start looking through the videos available on xLights.org.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

pixelpuppy

Quote from: algerdes on October 06, 2021, 07:44:11 AMSubnet is considered the first three octets
That is assuming the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 

That is the most common default mask for home networks, but its not always true.  Some ISP's use a different subnet mask and some users might even change it themselves.  We can't universally say what the subnet is without also specifying the subnet mask.

However, I do agree with everything else you said :D
-Mark

Poporacer

Connecting the controller directly to your computer requires some advanced configurations in your computer. It is actually much easier to connect your controller to your home network's router, then you should be able to connect by using the IP address displayed on the screen of the controller. 
Like was mentioned, you need some sort of player, you  really have 3 options, use the Player in the F16 (it is a limited player but will work), use xSchedule (this uses your computer so it should be dedicated to playing the show and running), or use FPP on a PI. They will all work, it is a matter of choice as to which one will be the best for you.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

JonD

Quote from: pixelpuppy on October 06, 2021, 09:27:11 AMThat is assuming the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0 

That is the most common default mask for home networks, but its not always true.  Some ISP's use a different subnet mask and some users might even change it themselves.  We can't universally say what the subnet is without also specifying the subnet mask.
Pixelpuppy is correct.  The subnet mask is what defines the subnet range.  A device talks directly to everything local, and sends everything else to the gateway/router (example, internet traffic).  The subnet mask tells the device which numbers are local, and which ones are remote.  A 255.255.255.0 means that everything matching the first three octets is local.  However, if your subnet mask was 255.255.0.0 the range would be everything that matched the first two octets 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255.  If these numbers are not correct, the two devices will not talk to each other even with a direct connection.  Most home networks will have a 255.255.255.0 mask and you could reasonably guess that is what it would be, but it is not always the case.

If you plugged the Falcon directly into your PC it is not likely getting a valid IP address.  You may need to manually set an ip address on the falcon via the oled menu on the controller.  In fact, you may need a static IP address on the PC as well.  Might be easier to plug both of them into your internet switch.  With any luck your router will assign them both an IP that will talk to each other.

Assuming Windows device:

Press and hold the "windows" key on the keyboard and press the "R" key (Windows key is usually two keys left of the space bar)
This should bring up a run/open window.
Type "CMD" without the quotes and press enter.  (CMD is short for command)
At the usually black screen that pops up type "ipconfig" without the quotes and press enter.

Look for the IP, subnet mask, and gateway of your computer.   Then look at the IP displayed on the Falcon OLED controller menu.  Make sure the first three numbers on the falcon and the first three on the pc match.  The fourth number needs to be different on the PC vs the Falcon (1-254).  The subnet and gateway to be the same on both.  If working correctly you should be able to type in the ip address of the falcon and get to the GUI webpage.

grumpy_pilot

Thank you everyone, I manged to configure ethernet on the PC and now its running.. I am on phase two. R.Pi FPP install  8)

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

INK1003 strips not playing nice with F16V4 by battle79
Today at 03:13:41 AM

FPP Playlist by LedMutt
Today at 02:29:01 AM

FPP install script on Ubuntu, no video by darylc
Today at 01:37:05 AM

f16v4 wont play in Player or Master Mode by Oxytousc
December 04, 2022, 10:33:43 PM

K8-PB Network Issue by Kensington Graves
December 04, 2022, 10:21:18 PM