Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 34
Total: 40

Falcon F16v4 Working Over Ethernet, But Not Wifi

Started by Aviators, October 06, 2021, 09:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aviators

Hey there, I'm fairly new to Falcon tech but somewhat experienced with Pixels. It took me a while of troubleshooting but I finally got a sequence playing from Xlights through my new F16v4 controller. The problem comes when I disconnect the Ethernet cable. I have changed the IP address accordingly so that Xlights points to the new wifi location, and even though nothing else has changed, the Falcon receives no packets and the lights stay off.

Theoretically, shouldn't swapping over to wifi change nothing? Though everything looks correct and works perfectly when set up via Ethernet cable, the data just won't go through. I can still access the GUI by using the IP over wifi. I can't seem to find out how to get this working wirelessly. Does everyone just end up using a FPP to drive this thing or should it work normally as a wireless pixel controller? I'm looking for a new solution here, if anyone has an idea. I appreciate the help.

darylc

It sounds like you are trying to send E1.31 or DDP/Artnet to the f16v4 over wifi?  This is not supported.

The use case for wifi on the f16v4 is to use fpp connect in xlights to upload your sequences to it, and tell xschedule or fpp that your f16v4 is a remote.

Likely the f16v4 manual explains more.

Aviators

Wow, for some reason I had assumed you could use it the same as an ESPixelStick or other wireless E1.31 reciever. I'll work on getting FPP hooked up to it for full functionality. In that use case, I assume the f16 via FPP *can* accept wireless E1.31 data? I haven't been able to locate the V4 manual so troubleshooting has been tricky. Thanks for the definitive answer!

Poporacer

Quote from: Aviators on October 07, 2021, 08:11:36 AMWow, for some reason I had assumed you could use it the same as an ESPixelStick or other wireless E1.31 reciever.
The reason it doesn't is because sending large amounts of data over Wi-Fi doesn't work well (not a controller issue, it is a network issue) It works fine with a couple ESPPixelSticks but if you get more than a few ESPixelSticks in your display, then you will probably have problems as well. Since the F48 is designed to control 16,000 pixels, they don't want you to use something that they know wont work in the long run.

Quote from: Aviators on October 07, 2021, 08:11:36 AMIn that use case, I assume the f16 via FPP *can* accept wireless E1.31 data?
FPP can receive E1.31 data wirelessly and then send it out the eth0 port to your F16, but like I mentioned above, you can run into issues if you start sending a lot of data. Why do you want to send E1.31 data to FPP? Why not let FPP be your player and then you are not congesting your network?

Quote from: Aviators on October 07, 2021, 08:11:36 AMI haven't been able to locate the V4 manual so troubleshooting has been tricky
Did you look on the Support page for the controller?

F16V4 Manual - Google Docs
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Aviators

QuoteDid you look on the Support page for the controller?

Somehow I missed this. Thank you, having up-to-date documentation should get me through the rest of this.

QuoteFPP can receive E1.31 data wirelessly and then send it out the eth0 port to your F16, but like I mentioned above, you can run into issues if you start sending a lot of data. Why do you want to send E1.31 data to FPP? Why not let FPP be your player and then you are not congesting your network?
For testing, at the moment. Right now I'm just trying to build out the system and see how it all runs as I'm setting things up which is extremely convenient to do over wifi. Obviously, with your point in mind, this is not going to work for long (or at all with the f16v4 alone) so I've now got a RPi4 running FPP that will do the hard work instead of my router when a full sequence is running. Hopefully I can get everything to talk to each other that way, ideally both to test quickly over wifi and to also run sequences standalone.

bowhunter3125

Quote from: Poporacer on October 07, 2021, 09:05:07 AM
Quote from: Aviators on October 07, 2021, 08:11:36 AMWow, for some reason I had assumed you could use it the same as an ESPixelStick or other wireless E1.31 reciever.
The reason it doesn't is because sending large amounts of data over Wi-Fi doesn't work well (not a controller issue, it is a network issue) It works fine with a couple ESPPixelSticks but if you get more than a few ESPixelSticks in your display, then you will probably have problems as well. Since the F48 is designed to control 16,000 pixels, they don't want you to use something that they know wont work in the long run.

Quote from: Aviators on October 07, 2021, 08:11:36 AMIn that use case, I assume the f16 via FPP *can* accept wireless E1.31 data?
FPP can receive E1.31 data wirelessly and then send it out the eth0 port to your F16, but like I mentioned above, you can run into issues if you start sending a lot of data. Why do you want to send E1.31 data to FPP? Why not let FPP be your player and then you are not congesting your network?

Quote from: Aviators on October 07, 2021, 08:11:36 AMI haven't been able to locate the V4 manual so troubleshooting has been tricky
Did you look on the Support page for the controller?

Actually as long as the pixel counts are small on pixelsticks, there is no issue, i ran 10 sticks in my show last year and had no issues.

pixelpuppy

Quote from: bowhunter3125 on October 10, 2021, 04:05:04 AMActually as long as the pixel counts are small on pixelsticks, there is no issue, i ran 10 sticks in my show last year and had no issues.
That's true.  But this topic is about the F16V4 controller which has the potential to run over 32,000 pixels and that would be problematic trying to push all that through a single ESP07 wifi module.   Much better to have the data stored on the controller and just send small sync packets over WiFi
-Mark

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Setting up new Falcon f16v4 noob question by Scouser10231
Today at 03:45:54 PM

Sequence freeze by jnealand
Today at 02:51:04 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by jnealand
Today at 02:46:23 PM

new piCaps in the works? by jnealand
Today at 02:38:26 PM

FPP not releasing control to WLED when idle by cwr89