Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 36
Total: 43

Newbie to Pixel Control

Started by Jack S, November 26, 2021, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack S

Several years ago did some work with Renard 120V controllers and Vixen. Just now in early stages of learning about pixels.  Have read on a few posts that Falcon controllers are highly rated. Thinking for 2022 doing a small scale setup with icicles. Have in mind making icicles 12" long about 3" apart all the same length to cover 24 ft of horizontal roof length. Probably with 10 - 12 pixels per icicle drop. Would like to be able to display text messages along with various animated effects.
So the question is what Falcon controller do you recommend? I was thinking the F4v3 but they don't seem available or is that too limited? Also do you recommend the new Vixen 3 or xlights?
Thanks for any input.

Ulan

Falcons are worth every penny and more.  Personally, I would just jump in and get the F16V4 or the F48V4 Differential because you'll want to expand.  I tried to dip my toe in and the following year bought 5 boards and was all in.  ;D   

If you don't want to hand craft the lights I would hit up Ray Wu's store, and if they don't have one in their store that will work they will make it for you at any lengths and sizes for the same cost per node as  what they have in the store.  The more you get the more you can work a deal.  

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Falcon-Controllers-Pixels-and-pigtails/701799_209940776.html?origin=n&SortType=bestmatch_sort&g=y&SearchText=icicle

jnealand

Although this is a DIY hobby, the older I get the less I want to make my own of anything.  I started back when you had to solder your controller boards together so I have lived thru those old days.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Jack S

Well I have studied several websites and you tube videos and come to the conclusion I should get a 16v3 or 16v4 controller.  I decided instead of going with handmade icicles to use 2 ft x 8 ft coro matrix material and put three of these end to end for total length of 24 ft with pixels at 2 inch centers.  That will give me about 11 - 12 horizontal rows. I also downloaded xLights  and configured one of those matrix layouts which worked very well. 
I'm planning on doing this for 2022 so have plenty of time. Everything I need is available except for the controller. Will those be restocked in the next couple of months?

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Setting up new Falcon f16v4 noob question by Scouser10231
Today at 03:45:54 PM

Sequence freeze by jnealand
Today at 02:51:04 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by jnealand
Today at 02:46:23 PM

new piCaps in the works? by jnealand
Today at 02:38:26 PM

FPP not releasing control to WLED when idle by cwr89
Today at 01:04:54 PM