News:

Server migration complete, Welcome to version 2.1.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
 
 
 
Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15464
Latest: BroJam22
New This Month: 87
New This Week: 4
New Today: 4
Stats
Total Posts: 126805
Total Topics: 15541
Most Online Today: 107
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 70
Total: 77

Static in one of my songs

Started by Geod, December 18, 2021, 09:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Geod

I have a playlist that has approx 10 songs in the xlights scheduler.   One song has a lot of static in it.   All other songs are crystal clear when I transmit them over the  FM transmitter.   I have re-downloaded the song in question but still get the static.   Any thoughts on how this can resolved?

Poporacer

It might be that the volume of that song is too high. MP3 Gain can fix that
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Geod

Thanks   I downloaded mp3gain_1_2_5     When I try to execute it I get message   Some Microsoft files used my mp3gain are missing or out of date.    Do  I need to download another version of MP3 gain?

pixelpuppy

It might also be a weird or variable bit rate.   

Try using Audacity to re-encode it using a standard 128k or 192k constant bit rate
-Mark

Geod

Thanks Mark

I've used audacity before but don't know where to go use "bit Rates"    Which tab would that be in?

k6ccc

#5
Two things to do in Audacity.  First is open a song that plays fine and note the audio levels.  Then open the one that sounds bad and again note the audio levels.  If the one that plays badly has quite a bit higher volume levels, you can adjust it with Menu > Effect > Amplify.  You may instead want to use Menu > Effect > Compressor (if you can do it without messing it up).
To save it, use Menu > File > Export > Export as MP3.  On the Export Audio window that comes up, select Preset, and Quality 128 kbps
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

pixelpuppy

Quote from: Geod on December 18, 2021, 11:01:01 AMI've used audacity before but don't know where to go use "bit Rates"    Which tab would that be in?
In Audacity:

File -> Export -> Export as MP3

Then choose the Format Options
-Mark

Geod

Thanks Mark and Jim

I tried both  your suggestions but neither helped
   Maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post.   The song plays very clearly when I play it within xlights on the design screen.   It only has static when it plays using the FM transmitter.   All other songs play without static

k6ccc

Quote from: Geod on December 18, 2021, 12:00:02 PMMaybe I wasn't clear in my initial post.   The song plays very clearly when I play it within xlights on the design screen.   It only has static when it plays using the FM transmitter. 

You were very clear.  Your speakers or headphones on your computer (when playing in xLights) have plenty of ability to handle a high level signal.   An FM transmitter and receiver have a fairly hard limit.  Without getting too technical (I can if desired), if you send too much signal to the FM transmitter, it will generate a signal that the receivers can't handle.  The result is distortion.

<Technical content>
For people interested, I found that my CZE-05b (common transmitter (or variants) many of us are using) could cleanly generate about 125 KHz deviation before it started distorting.  However your car stereo will start distorting not all that much over the max of 75 KHz deviation that is the spec for the FM broadcast band.  Yes, I have the test equipment for measuring that.
</Technical content>
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

Geod

It's up and running clearly.   Thanks everyone for all your help.   Couldn't have done it without you

Have a Merry Christmas


George

Stormyblade

Please tell us what you did to fix it.

Geod

I'll try to explain

As per above posts I used Audacity change the dB to 5.232 (this was after trial and error) with the effect/amplify features.

Then exported the new MP3 with quality of 96 kbps (again after trial and error)


I then created a new sequence in xlights with the new MP3 and copied all the models from the original sequence into the new sequence.

I don't know if I could/should have done anything differently but I'm happy with the results.

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod