News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15301
Latest: magicx
New This Month: 4
New This Week: 2
New Today: 2
Stats
Total Posts: 125131
Total Topics: 15248
Most Online Today: 86
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 41
Total: 46

Trouble with wifi tethering/ initial setup

Started by Kyle007, June 06, 2022, 10:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle007

Hi all, I just got a k8-b recently. I was going through the instructions for doing the wifi tethering and I was successful in getting to the fpp settings on my laptop, I grew the files, worked on the initial setup stuff, and was going through the network configuration and thats about as far as I got on day one. Now my problem is getting back to that interface on my laptop to continue things. I power it up like before, but now on my laptop I'm not seeing a wireless network named "FPP" to connect to like the first time. Any tips on how to make that show up? Thanks!

Poporacer

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 06, 2022, 10:42:12 PMI grew the files, worked on the initial setup stuff, and was going through the network configuration
If your FPP was successful in connecting to a network (any network), then FPP will not normally broadcast the FPP Access Point since it can only communicate through one network per interface. Since you configured the network, it sounds like it is connecting to your home network and you need to access it using that IP address.
Quote from: Kyle007 on June 06, 2022, 10:42:12 PMI was going through the instructions for doing the wifi tethering
What instructions? There are a TON of outdated instructions out there. Here is the most current FPP Manual that has Step-By-Step instructions.
https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual(5.5).pdf
Quote from: Kyle007 on June 06, 2022, 10:42:12 PMI power it up like before, but now on my laptop I'm not seeing a wireless network named "FPP" to connect to like the first time.
That is probably because your FPP is connected to your home network like I mentioned and you have to connect that way.

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 06, 2022, 10:42:12 PMAny tips on how to make that show up?
I think you might have a mis-understanding of what Wi-Fi tethering is. This is usually a temporary connection method to perform the initial network configuration and once the initial configuration is completed, then you would access it via the configured network.
So to access it at this point, you have 4 options.
1. Type  http://fpp.local/ in your browser, If you changed the host name as recommended then replace fpp with the host name you configured.
2. Figure out the IP address of the FPP by looking in your router's device table or some sort of IP scanning program (xLights has one) or looking at the OLED screen if it has one.
3. Use the USB Tethering method to connect to your FPP device.
4. Re-Image the card and start over (probably not needed since it sounds like you have already configured your network)

There is a step-by-step video that might help as well
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

rayster

Does your K8-B have a display on it? If so push one of the button on the board so it wakes up and will display the IP address.
Ray
Using K8-B, Rpi 3b w/PiHat, Rpi 3b+ w/ PiHat, K4-PB

Kyle007

Thanks everyone, so to clarify a bit more, I've tried connecting through the IP address and host name but it wasn't connecting, so I was trying to go back into things like I had before to try setting it up again or see if I made a mistake somewhere. But that makes sense now that after the initial configuration it doesn't broadcast the fpp access point like before. I have no past experience with messing with IP addresses or networking so there is a learning curve for sure, I'm getting there tho! I was using the 5.5 manual too. 

To connect via the IP address, I Have the oled on my controller, I see the IP address it shows, I should be able to just type that into the web browser address bar and it'll connect? I've tried that and no dice, but I may have messed something else up along the way too where that won't work... 🤷�♂️

I think I'll just try to do usb tethering and get back into it that way to double check what I set up, I have a double male usb cable but not a mini usb cable to power it up seems how you're not supposed to use a power supply. If I get a mini usb cable can I plug the usb end of it into my phone charger for powering it up? 

tbone321

What IP address did you give it?  It has to be on the same network as your PC.  What is the IP of your laptop and what is the IP you assigned to the K-8?

k6ccc

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 08:48:11 AMI have no past experience with messing with IP addresses or networking so there is a learning curve for sure,
It would be useful to learn a bit.  Here are a couple of on-line basics of networking primers I found in a quick Google Search.  For what we are dealing with here, you can ignore any discussion about IPv6 (for now).

https://medium.com/@sadatnazrul/basics-of-ip-addresses-in-computer-networking-f1a4661ea85c

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn5000/manager/reference/guide/appA.html#:~:text=Each%20device%20on%20an%20IP,12.151%2C%20255.255.

In the second one, once you get to a section starting IPX 101, you can stop.  Beyond that will likely make your head explode - and you really don't need it...
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

Poporacer

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 08:48:11 AMI should be able to just type that into the web browser address bar and it'll connect?
Only if the network was configured correctly to begin with.
Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 08:48:11 AMI think I'll just try to do usb tethering and get back into it that way to double check what I set up,
That would be a great idea. When you get there tell us what your home network IP subnet is and post screenshots of your network settings.
Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 08:48:11 AMIf I get a mini usb cable can I plug the usb end of it into my phone charger for powering it up? 
NO! The purpose of USB tethering is to get a direct connection from your computer to your FPP. Your computer will provide the power for your FPP device. It is covered in the FPP Manual https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual(5.5).pdf#page=19

Kyle007

Oh alright, so when doing usb tether, the manual says to remove capes so I should take the K8-b off of the BBB correct? And all I should have to do is connect a double male ended USB cable between the BBB and my laptop, push and hold the S2 button for approx 5 seconds while plugging it in (maybe I shouldn't have to do that where is was semi successful with a Wi-Fi tether?) and after that I should be able to type 192.168.7.2 (I am using windows) into my browser and it should pull it up? Should the lights be coming on on the BBB once plugged in with the USB cable? I didn't get any lights and it's not connecting for me. When I get more time I'll post the ip addresses and more specifics. And thanks for the links on networking and whatnot I'll read up on that  :)

Kensington Graves

This is what I do when setting up a Beaglebone-based cape.

1. Burn the latest FPP image file onto a micro sD card.
2. Insert SD card into card slot on BBB
3. Plug network/WiFi dongle into empty USB port
4. Plug USB cable in PC USB slot. 
5. Hold down S2 button on BBB
6. Plug micro USB cable into BBB
7. Release S2 after 5-10 seconds.
8. Wait a couple minutes
9. Go to 192.168.7.2
10. Configure network settings with static IP
11. Reboot
12. Log in to FPP using the static IP
13. Grow file system, etc.
14. Profit

For a BBB, I power it using an external power supply.  If you're not getting lights in the BBB when you have it connected with the USB cable, the USB port probably isn't supplying enough power.  I've never had that problem on Pocketbeagles, but I would be unsurprised by that result on a full size board since BB boards are all finicky about power.  You can either use an external power supply or a powered USB hub to connect.

Poporacer

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 07:10:00 PMthe manual says to remove capes so I should take the K8-b off of the BBB correct?
I don't think that the manual says that you should take it off (I don't know how I would know that? LOL) But you might be good leaving the cape on (see below.)
Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 07:10:00 PMAnd all I should have to do is connect a double male ended USB cable between the BBB and my laptop, push and hold the S2 button for approx 5 seconds while plugging it in
You only need to do that the first time, so if you were able to get into it then you shouldn't need to do it again.
Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 07:10:00 PMand after that I should be able to type 192.168.7.2 (I am using windows) into my browser and it should pull it up?
Yes
Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 07:10:00 PMShould the lights be coming on on the BBB once plugged in with the USB cable?
I an not sure what lights you are talking about, but if it is the 4 blue status lights, then yes, they should all 4 come on and then randomly blink after that. If they are not coming on, then it could be a bad cable or the cape is drawing too much power. And if that is the case, then you will have to use the Network connection method

Kyle007

Ohhh so I think I know what I'm doing wrong, I need to have my Wi-Fi antenna plugged into the big USB port, and into the mini USB port I plug the cable that goes to the laptop? 

I had the antenna unplugged and a double male ended usb cable with one end where the antenna usually plugs in and the other to the laptop.

So I do need to buy a cable with a mini usb on one end and a regular usb on the other.  

So this is from the 5.5 manual on usb tethering "Note: Some capes will draw more current than a USB connection can provide, it is recommended to remove any capes before you connect the USB cable"

is a k8-b considered a cape? I want to be clear I'm not being snarky here, I'm honestly still getting a grip on all the terminology. I'll leave it on if you guys say it should be fine. Oh and yes I was talking about those status lights

Poporacer

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 10:49:10 PMI need to have my Wi-Fi antenna plugged into the big USB port, and into the mini USB port I plug the cable that goes to the laptop? 
Yes, per the manual, 
USB Cable- If you want to install and configure the FPP device using the USB Tether method then you will need a USB to Mini USB cable

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 10:49:10 PMSo I do need to buy a cable with a mini usb on one end and a regular usb on the other.
You usually get one with the BeagleBone, but yes, you will need that, or you can connect via the eth0 port to your router (if you didn't change the eth0 settings)

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 10:49:10 PMis a k8-b considered a cape?
Yes, typically any device that is connected via the gpio pins on an SBC (Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, etc.) is called a cape or hat

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 10, 2022, 10:49:10 PMI'll leave it on if you guys say it should be fine.
Leave it on at first.

Kyle007

Here is what it shows when I open up cmd and type in ipconfig on my laptop:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home.gateway
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b50c:f3bd:bec:9ac%12
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.112
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when the K8b fires up the first thing it shows is:
Host: FppK8B
wlan0: 192.168.1.251

if I go into the network menu this is what it shows:
IP: 192.168.8.251 (should this and wlan0 be the same?)
NM: 255.255.255.0
GW: 192.168.8.1
D1: 192.168.8.1  (if I type this into my address bar there is a pop up that says to sign in, it has a username and password entry, but I don't remember ever setting that up?)
D2: 8.8.8.8

when I open up Xscanner, it shows this among other things
 192.168.1.251        FppK8B       Offline

Right before posting I finally saw how to attach pictures, so there's some screenshots of the ipconfig and also xscanner. 

Poporacer

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 11, 2022, 07:00:04 PMIPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.112

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.1
I have a feeling you might be using a mesh system? The 192.168.8.x subnets can be problematic since that is what Linux devices use as their AP mode address. In my opinion, this was a huge mistake on the part of these mesh systems since they are using addresses that are already being used.

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 11, 2022, 07:00:04 PMwhen the K8b fires up the first thing it shows is:
Host: FppK8B
wlan0: 192.168.1.251
Well, without a bunch of complicated networking, your computer will not be able to access that. You might want to watch this video:

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 11, 2022, 07:00:04 PMif I go into the network menu this is what it shows:
A screenshot would sure help so that we know WHAT network menu you are referring to, there are several different ones you can be looking at.

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 11, 2022, 07:00:04 PMIP: 192.168.8.251 (should this and wlan0 be the same?)
Not sure, since we don't know where this came from .... but every interface needs to have a unique IP address (Pi's typically have 2 interfaces so will have 2 different IP addresses)

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 11, 2022, 07:00:04 PMD1: 192.168.8.1  (if I type this into my address bar there is a pop up that says to sign in, it has a username and password entry, but I don't remember ever setting that up?)
This is more than likely your Router's IP address and if you need to get into it, refer to your router's information

Quote from: Kyle007 on June 11, 2022, 07:00:04 PMwhen I open up Xscanner, it shows this among other things

192.168.1.251        FppK8B       Offline
That's because you probably have your FPP defined in xLights so it is trying to connect, but because of your bad IP addresses, it cannot.

So now with a little more information, it sounds like your home network is on a 192.168.8.xxx subnet and for your initial setup you logged into the FPP network (which disconnected you from your home network as intended) Then you went into FPP by typing in 192.168.8.1 which is the AP mode default IP. Once you were in, you configured your wlan0 for 192.168.1.251 I don't know where you got this IP address from, but I have a feeling that you were watching an FPP installation video that used that IP address? If so, did you skip the part at the beginning of this video where he says that you need to know what your home network is and how you are going to incorporate it into your network? That was a VERY important part of the installation process and I have a felling that you didn't watch the video that was suggested since you used an IP address that will not work for you. That video is the same one I posted above.

I am not sure why you are unable to connect to the AP, unless you changed some other settings? Did you change any of the eth0 network settings? If not, then you should be able to connect your FPP to your Router using a network cable (if you are using a mesh system, you might have to connect to one of the mesh remotes instead) and then look at the OLED screen and get the IP address (it should be 192.168.8.?) then you can get in and configure the network correctly.

You might want to jump in the Zoom Room, that is probably your best resource for help!

rayster

Do you have one of these https://amazon.com/dp/B009XU6N54?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_ANDK672K3HBJNEQBJ4EE . It is a micro USB to Ethernet adapter. I use this to connect the BBB or PB to my network as the first step of configuring, pop the IP address it picks up into a browse and away I go never need to use any other method to configure. Your WIFI adapter goes into the full size USB connector. You need to remember you are using a Linux based system and all adapter need to be Linux compatible.
Ray
Using K8-B, Rpi 3b w/PiHat, Rpi 3b+ w/ PiHat, K4-PB

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics