Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 52
Total: 54

Experience Needed

Started by algerdes, June 27, 2022, 10:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

algerdes

For many years now, we have used pixels, pixel controllers, and players. Our players have changed from full blown computers (desktop and laptop) to credit card computers (Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bones, etc.), the main part of the display has several (player/remote). The controllers have been subjected to power being turned on and off, but the players have always been on full time (always on) circuits. We do have one set of props that the controller is a RPi with a Falcon Pi Hat. This unit is subjected to the nightly power on/off cycle. We set the sequence times for this unit at 00:01 till 23:59 and load an onboard RASclock so that when power comes on, it automatically starts its sequence. When the power goes off, well - it shuts off.

I say all of this as we are now going to add 3 larger matrices that will be in an area that does not have full time power. They will be subjected to power on (usually 30 minutes before opening) and power off (usually 15 minutes after closing) along with the occasional "bounce" during opening or close. (People who can't handle the large breaker sometimes slip and it comes right back on.) In the early days there was the possibility of corrupting data cards, but to be honest we never experienced it with the PiHat on the RPi.

I've purchased 3 Kulp K8-B controllers (one for each stand-a-lone matrix) and am building enclosures and the matrix panels themselves. I am very concerned as to the K8-B and how it handles power on/power off cycles. ANY information would be helpful. In particular, I am looking for input if anyone else is using their K8-B in a power on/power off scenario and if there are any problems associated with this setup.

Thanks in advance.

Al
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

dkulp

My entire show except my master is on smart plugs that Siri turns on at 3pm and turns off at 11pm every single day.  Controllers are out there from early October until the snow clears (March/April normally) and haven't had an issue.
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

algerdes

Thanks Dan.  So I read it that your master is always powered up.

The point is that each of these props are "independent".  Each of them is its own "master". Therefore, each of the K8-B will have a series of sequences loaded and will be set to start the sequences as soon as power is turned on (and the requisite boot time has passed.)  They will run until power is removed.

I'm trying to head off any possible problems running in this environment.

The initial prop will be completed in a week.  Once that is up, I'll run it through several cycles to see what happens.  Just want to find out what others have run up against.

Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

dkulp

My master is always powered mostly because I use it to test things all year.   It's almost always running a playlist of some sort even if there are no other controllers turned on or anything.

For the most part, if the controller has an RTC and the RTC battery is good, you shouldn't have an issue.   If it doesn't have an RTC, there MAY be an issue if it boots up and then a few seconds later is able to get the time from the internet or something.   In that cause it may be a 10 year jump in time and that might be a problem.   We've tried to catch those cases and re-adjust, but it has definitely caused problems.    Setting a longer boot delay (60 seconds or more) to allow NTP to get the time before fppd starts might help mitigate.   
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

algerdes

Thanks again for the insight.
These units are in the middle of field with no internet, no 24x7 power.  
I'll report back as to the results once the build is complete.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

show locks me out of falcon player by breese
Today at 04:11:38 AM

F48 with Daisy Chained Smart Receivers by Starry
Today at 03:18:05 AM

Unable to get DHCP after FPP install by Jlwright325
November 27, 2022, 11:31:30 PM

What is the second best way to get rid of pixel gap errors? by k6ccc
November 27, 2022, 10:32:34 PM

FPP connect by LedMutt
November 27, 2022, 09:29:34 PM