News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15300
Latest: lstewartff
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 1
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 125129
Total Topics: 15247
Most Online Today: 86
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 34
Total: 38

Beaglebone Green Wireless half working on FPP 5.5

Started by Sarah.Dods, July 14, 2022, 04:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah.Dods

Please can I ask for help - I'm not sure whether I've hit a known bug, or done something stupid.

I've got FPP running on an RGB48 revision F cape (Alan Hanson's HE123Mk2).  The SBC is a Beaglebone Green wireless.  I've just read in the FPP manual (page 8)  that "the Beaglebone Green Wireless can't be used with capes."  Does anyone know what not, or what the error behaviour is?

I've got data coming out of ports 1, 2, 9 and 10 on the 16 channel main board (so the first 2 in each set of 8).  I've got an expansion running to channels 33-36, and of those, channels 33 & 34 work (again first 2), and the other 2 don't.

Does that align with whatever the known incompatibility is, or is this something different?  Has anyone seen it before, and any ideas on how to fix it? 

Thank you for any words of wisdom that could be provided.  And yes, I have to have a wireless for this controller - it's about where it is and actually my whole setup runs distributed on wifi - the rest is on pi zero W's, and works like a charm.

Poporacer

Quote from: Sarah.Dods on July 14, 2022, 04:53:16 AMDoes anyone know what not, or what the error behaviour is?
Some of the output pins are used for the Wi-Fi processing.

Quote from: Sarah.Dods on July 14, 2022, 04:53:16 AMDoes that align with whatever the known incompatibility is,
It sounds like it.

Quote from: Sarah.Dods on July 14, 2022, 04:53:16 AMHas anyone seen it before, and any ideas on how to fix it?
Sadly, it is don't use the BBGW

Quote from: Sarah.Dods on July 14, 2022, 04:53:16 AMAnd yes, I have to have a wireless for this controller - it's about where it is and actually my whole setup runs distributed on wifi
You can use a Wi-Fi dongle on a Beagle Bone Black or a BeagleBone Green (of course not on the BBGW). And it works great, I have 6 controllers all on Wi-fi using those dongles.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

dkulp

The WIFI adapter on the Green Wireless consumes 13 of the GPIO pins.   Those are 13 pins that can no longer be used for pixels.  Thus, it's likely that 13 of the HE123Mk2 ports won't be usable. 

The best option is to use a BBB and a USB wifi adapter.  The Wifi on the BBGW is also fairly slow at around 10Mb/s.  Using a USB adapter will definitely provide higher speeds.   You can disable the onboard WIFI by commenting out the enable-wireless line in /boot/uEnv.txt to re-gain the pins, but then you obviously need some sort of USB network adapter. 
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

AAH

Thanks for sharing the info Dan. Can you tell me which of the IO's are gobbled up by the wifi. I've been googling and so far I haven't been able to work out which of the IO's get used on the wifi. I'd like to add that info to my brain and also document in my HE123 manual.

dkulp

On P8, pins 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 26.   On P9, pins 12, 28, 29, 30, 31.   I have a ? in my notes for P9-41 so I'm not really sure if that one is available or not.  

Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

Sarah.Dods

Hi all,

Thanks for your help.  Now I understand the problem, I've been able to do some quantitative testing to understand what's possible.  For the HE123, attached is the output channel table of what works, for 32 of the 48 possible channels.  Have found 9 unusable pixel ports.  The last 4 unusable ports will be in the 17-32 channel range somewhere.  There's enough ports working that I'll be able to get it to meet my needs, which is great.  The ports that can't be used for data are still useful as fused power injection sources.

Also, saw the comment on wifi being slow.  To test, put it side by side with another controller running a Pi Zero W (these are what I run the rest of my display from).  Attached is also these results.  122 is the BBGW, 129 is PiZeroW.  I think that will also be OK.  If there's other tests people would like me to run, let me know.

CaptainMurdoch

Your spreadsheet matches what I came up with.  There are only 2 outputs between 17-32 that conflict and those are outputs 28-29.  There are 2 pins of the 13 Dan mentioned which are not used by the HE123-Mk2 which uses the RGBCape48F pinout.  The 2 unused are P8-11 and P9-41 so only 11 conflict.

The full list of conflicts is outputs:

3-7, 28-29, 35-38, and 42.

I'm not sure why output 37 on P9-30 worked for you for pixels, I don't know what it is used for on the BBGW.

I have a HE123-Mk2 and was working on putting together a HE123-Mk2 EEPROM image.  I considered including a 'BBGW w/ WiFi' config option which would skip these 11 pins that conflict with WiFi.  This way you wouldn't even be able to use them for pixels and FPP wouldn't configure them so WiFi should continue to work.
-
Chris

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Projector video for just one video source by Poporacer
Today at 09:21:09 PM

PiCap w/Controller? by james-s
Today at 05:06:52 PM

F16V4 port 5 Lights flicker by rudybuddy
Today at 04:18:23 PM

new piCaps in the works? by james-s
Today at 01:39:26 PM

Smartthings Integrations by james-s
Today at 01:26:22 PM

Advatek Vortex 48 channel DC controller by CeP
Today at 05:34:34 AM

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 10:24:15 PM

FS Kulp K-8B Controller, Complete by poolprousa
October 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM

60+ Ray Wu Cables, Pigtails, misc by jnealand
October 01, 2022, 08:57:49 AM

Sequence issues from Rasberry pi by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 07:49:10 AM