News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
 
 
 
Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15526
Latest: stooge
New This Month: 34
New This Week: 22
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 127391
Total Topics: 15638
Most Online Today: 111
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 70
Total: 80

FPP losing wired network connection when FM transmitter is on

Started by jsojka, September 05, 2022, 12:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jsojka

I am new to FPP and setting up my first show. 

I have a raspberry PI 4 with FPP v5.5 running on it. 

The FM transmitter that I am using is an ST-7C

And I do have the sound blaster play 3 attached to the PI. 

I am also hardwired to my network. 

When I start a sequence with audio, the sequence plays just fine. I can hear the audio coming through, but the networking drops off and I can no longer access FPP. This also breaks the sending of data to my pixel controller, so there are no lights. 

And ideas?

JonD

Did you configure the FPP to use the Sound Blaster Play! 3 and reboot the FPP?  My Pi would reboot when I forgot to tell FPP to use the new sound adapter.

You cannot view this attachment.

jsojka

Yes, I have FPP set to use the sound baster as the audio devise. 


JonD

Quote from: jsojka on September 05, 2022, 02:30:31 PMYes, I have FPP set to use the sound baster as the audio devise.

What happens if you plug-in speakers or head phones into the sound blaster jack instead of the transmitter?  What happens if you disconnect the sound blaster for now and go back to default audio instead?  Does this only happen when the transmitter is connected?


Poporacer

There have been a TON of problems with FM transmitters causing interference. How close is your Transmitter to your FPP? Is it set to the lowest power possible?
Try disconnecting your Transmitter AND unplugging it and then let it run and see if it drops off the network. Let us know the results. 
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

jsojka

Quote from: JonD on September 05, 2022, 03:45:40 PM
Quote from: jsojka on September 05, 2022, 02:30:31 PMYes, I have FPP set to use the sound baster as the audio devise.

What happens if you plug-in speakers or head phones into the sound blaster jack instead of the transmitter?  What happens if you disconnect the sound blaster for now and go back to default audio instead?  Does this only happen when the transmitter is connected?


Jon, I plugged in some regular speakers and everything worked normally. 

And if I go back to the on-board audio, I get the same results. 

jsojka

Quote from: Poporacer on September 05, 2022, 05:01:23 PMThere have been a TON of problems with FM transmitters causing interference. How close is your Transmitter to your FPP? Is it set to the lowest power possible?
Try disconnecting your Transmitter AND unplugging it and then let it run and see if it drops off the network. Let us know the results.
Right now I have the transmitter about 1 foot from the FPP. I have tried moving it as far as the audio cable will let me and the same results. 

I did notice that if I unplug the audio cable from the transmitter and wait just a bit, the network does come back. But as soon as I reconnect it the network drops. 

JonD

Quote from: jsojka on September 05, 2022, 06:12:51 PMJon, I plugged in some regular speakers and everything worked normally.
If your FPP is working fine with speakers, it sounds like a transmitter issue to me.  I am not familiar with the ST-7C model.  Sometimes they are are configured with really high transmitting power out of the box.  You could trying lowering the transmit wattage as low as you can possibly get it, but you may need to try another transmitter. 

Lowering the FPP volume down to zero might make a difference as well.  Gradually increase the volume if it does not crash at zero.  Default 70% FPP volume has always been too high for my systems, but never had one crash on me.   

jsojka

Quote from: JonD on September 05, 2022, 07:30:39 PM
Quote from: jsojka on September 05, 2022, 06:12:51 PMJon, I plugged in some regular speakers and everything worked normally.
If your FPP is working fine with speakers, it sounds like a transmitter issue to me.  I am not familiar with the ST-7C model.  Sometimes they are are configured with really high transmitting power out of the box.  You could trying lowering the transmit wattage as low as you can possibly get it, but you may need to try another transmitter. 

Lowering the FPP volume down to zero might make a difference as well.  Gradually increase the volume if it does not crash at zero.  Default 70% FPP volume has always been too high for my systems, but never had one crash on me.   

After some further testing, it does seem like it is the transmitter. When I place the transmitter near the speakers, I get a lot of feedback and buzz. I did a small test by sending the audio from FPP through the speakers and out to the FM Transmitter and all that was transmitted was the buzzing sound. 

Do you or anyone have any suggestions for a FM transmitter? 

JonD

Quote from: jsojka on September 06, 2022, 08:05:53 PMDo you or anyone have any suggestions for a FM transmitter?
I use the EDM Designs RDS Model  https://edmdesign.com/index.html

They do not have the cases for them and have taken their order site down until they get more.  If you email them, they will still sell you a board only.  They are pricey and it will take weeks to get.  I don't know that I would recommend them to the average user, but if I had to do it over, I would certainly buy it again.  I do like the RDS feature.  This is where the FPP sends song information to newer car radio displays. 

I have used the Signstek model model in the past.  I personally had a lot of buzzing noise and was not happy with it, but others prefer it over the EDM if you do not desire the RDS feature.  I am sure others will jump in and offer some other suggestions.  I actually have the model mentioned in the below video.

Before I bought the EDM, my primary transmitter was a FMUSER FU-X01AK that I picked up on Amazon.  I liked that one far better than the Signstek.  You can't get them from Amazon any more, but I see you can still pick them up in China.  FMUSER FU-X01AK

Here is a good video about display sound quality

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod