News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15526
Latest: stooge
New This Month: 34
New This Week: 22
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 127394
Total Topics: 15639
Most Online Today: 111
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 85
Total: 91

Sound Blaster Play! 3 ???

Started by Santacarl, September 06, 2022, 10:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santacarl

Hey All,

I've been reading up on this Sound Blaster Play! 3.  I hope someone that uses it can help me with a question.  I've searched and find some places where the FPP volume can't be adjusted if you use the SBP.  In other places I see references to lowering the volume to 70 or less.  

Can someone explain how you adjust the volume if, as some suggest, the FPP adjustment goes away when you select the SBP as your sound card?

Thanks

bloojoop

??  I use the soundblaster play 3 and can adjust the volume in FPP just fine.. 70 is the standard volume that I use but sometimes adjust it up or down slightly to get the best audio quality based on what I'm feeding. 
--Ron A.

JonD

Quote from: Santacarl on September 06, 2022, 10:31:03 PMCan someone explain how you adjust the volume if, as some suggest, the FPP adjustment goes away when you select the SBP as your sound card?
You can adjust the FPP volume just like you always have.  Like many others have mentioned, there is a noticeable difference in sound quality.

You cannot view this attachment. 
You basically plug it into a USB port, turn on the FPP, go into audio settings and configure the drop down to use the sound blaster instead of on-board audio, reboot again, and then move the audio cable from the built-in port over to the USB device.

My understanding is there is a Sound Blaster Play! 4 which uses the same drivers and has external volume controls for $5 dollars more.  I have not personally used this model, so do your own research. Not sure if you have to load custom drivers to get the volume buttons to work. Sound Blaster Play! 4 (Amazon Link)  I did not want the controls to get bumped and went with the Play! 3

You cannot view this attachment.

Santacarl

Quote from: bloojoop on September 07, 2022, 12:19:14 AM??  I use the soundblaster play 3 and can adjust the volume in FPP just fine.. 70 is the standard volume that I use but sometimes adjust it up or down slightly to get the best audio quality based on what I'm feeding.

Thanks for the response bloojoop....  I always like to check before I start ordering stuff or end up breaking something when I forge ahead on my own!   Haha  ;D

Santacarl

Quote from: JonD on September 07, 2022, 05:49:20 AM
Quote from: Santacarl on September 06, 2022, 10:31:03 PMCan someone explain how you adjust the volume if, as some suggest, the FPP adjustment goes away when you select the SBP as your sound card?
You can adjust the FPP volume just like you always have.  Like many others have mentioned, there is a noticeable difference in sound quality.

You basically plug it into a USB port, turn on the FPP, go into audio settings and configure the drop down to use the sound blaster instead of on-board audio, reboot again, and then move the audio cable from the built-in port over to the USB device.

Thanks JonD.  I'll go with the 3....As I understand it the 4 is overkill for what I need as I'd prefer to keep it simple and not add external drivers or controls.  The thought of cleaning up my sound is what's driving me.... I'm a musician who uses the lights to draw people in to listen to my music!  ;D