News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15300
Latest: lstewartff
New This Month: 3
New This Week: 1
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 125129
Total Topics: 15247
Most Online Today: 86
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 43
Total: 47

Upgraded to 6.0 Having issues

Started by sgmaitland, September 09, 2022, 03:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmaitland

I upgraded from 5 to 6.0.  I did it by reimaging the SD card.
I have a K32A-B Beaglebone Controller set up to run stand alone.  Connection to my laptop as needed is by ethernet.  I do not have WiFi for the controller.  A soundblaster uses the USB port.

In the previous version, when it booted up, it had an IP address.  Now it doesn't.  I'm not sure what I have set differently.  I didn't think anything was set differently.  I used to rely on the IP to connect xLights and FPP.

Anyone have any thoughts, or at least what information I should provide?   

Thanks
Scott

breese

Check your router for what the IP address is....
Sounds like your IP changed when you re-imaged the device

sgmaitland

But, it wasn't connected to the router before. It had an IP address that changed each boot up.  
Now there's none.  Is there a way I can set one permanently?  I only connect it to my laptop, not the network.

Poporacer

Does the OLED screen display anything? What image file did you use? We need more information
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

sgmaitland

The screen appears to display everything it used to, except an IP address. It does say No Network.
I used FPP-v6.0-BBB.
The only change is the image on the card.  It's still standalone without wifi connected by ethernet cable to my laptop.  I have it boot up without the connection.  
Previously, it had an IP address and I used it to connect xLights to FPP.

jnealand

You keep saying it had an IP.  But the ip is stored in FPP on the uSD card.  When you reimaged it you now have to SET the Ip.  The FPP manual will give you info on how to configure your IP.  Poporacer can help you if you answer his questions or you might check into the zoom room.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Poporacer

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 10, 2022, 05:56:21 AMIt does say No Network.
OK, so that is a start. That means that FPP is running but that it couldn't connect to a network

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 03:47:18 PMConnection to my laptop as needed is by ethernet
Connecting directly to a computer requires some advanced network configurations and many times has to be re-configured each time you re-connect it.

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 03:47:18 PMI do not have WiFi for the controller.  A soundblaster uses the USB port.
You can still use one just get a USB hub and you can use both (highly recommended to simplify things and make your life easier!) 

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 03:47:18 PMI'm not sure what I have set differently.  I didn't think anything was set differently.  I used to rely on the IP to connect xLights and FPP.
How about explaining how things are physically connected at this moment?

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 05:42:36 PMBut, it wasn't connected to the router before.
Connecting to a router is the recommended method since Routers have some additional communication protocols that computers do not have and makes the communication easier.

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 05:42:36 PMIs there a way I can set one permanently?  I only connect it to my laptop, not the network.
Probably not if you want to connect directly to your laptop, computers are not typically designed that way. Is there a reason you don't want to connect it to your network?

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 10, 2022, 05:56:21 AMIt's still standalone without wifi connected by ethernet cable to my laptop.  I have it boot up without the connection.  
Are you saying that you are booting up the controller without it being connected to your computer?

sgmaitland

Quote from: Poporacer on September 10, 2022, 01:19:24 PM
Quote from: sgmaitland on September 10, 2022, 05:56:21 AMIt does say No Network.
OK, so that is a start. That means that FPP is running but that it couldn't connect to a network
I understand.  I haven't had it connected to the network.

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 03:47:18 PMConnection to my laptop as needed is by ethernet
Connecting directly to a computer requires some advanced network configurations and many times has to be re-configured each time you re-connect it.
With the 5.5 set up, the IP address the controller showed changed each time.  That was easy enough to over come.

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 03:47:18 PMI do not have WiFi for the controller.  A soundblaster uses the USB port.
You can still use one just get a USB hub and you can use both (highly recommended to simplify things and make your life easier!)
I'll consider it.  

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 03:47:18 PMI'm not sure what I have set differently.  I didn't think anything was set differently.  I used to rely on the IP to connect xLights and FPP.
How about explaining how things are physically connected at this moment?
I have one K32A-B Beaglebone Controller.  When I want to upload to it, I connect an ethernet cable to the controller.
I reimaged the card for the updgrade to 6.  (I did it again to 6.0.2)
I have 3 LOR controllers daisy chained from the RS485.  
A soundblaster is plugged into the USB port.  It feeds the speaker and the audio into the FM Transmitter.  
(The onboard audio card hasn't worked.  Plugging an FM transmitter into the board appears to short things out.)
Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 05:42:36 PMBut, it wasn't connected to the router before.
Connecting to a router is the recommended method since Routers have some additional communication protocols that computers do not have and makes the communication easier.
I understand the different roles. I really haven't needed the additional capability.  I had been just uploading sequences.

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 09, 2022, 05:42:36 PMIs there a way I can set one permanently?  I only connect it to my laptop, not the network.
Probably not if you want to connect directly to your laptop, computers are not typically designed that way. Is there a reason you don't want to connect it to your network?
Quote from: sgmaitland on September 10, 2022, 05:56:21 AMIt's still standalone without wifi connected by ethernet cable to my laptop.  I have it boot up without the connection. 
Are you saying that you are booting up the controller without it being connected to your computer?
Yes, that's what I have been saying.
But when I started up 5.4 and 5.5, FPP had an IP address.  I don't know if something was set that had it generate a number.  But it was there.  I would change the number int xLights. Connect to FPP from xLights.  Upload the sequence and be all set.

Unless something was changed that eliminated the functionality, there must be something I set way back that didn't change when I reimaged for 5.4 - 5.5, but did change when I updated to 6.0.  I did image to 6.0.2.
Scott

Poporacer

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 10, 2022, 04:15:17 PM
QuoteAre you saying that you are booting up the controller without it being connected to your computer?
Yes, that's what I have been saying.

If your controller is not connected to a computer or network, then there is NO Network available hence the display shows "no network" I am pretty sure this has been the same since version 3. Try connecting your controller to your computer.

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 10, 2022, 04:15:17 PMBut when I started up 5.4 and 5.5, FPP had an IP address.  I don't know if something was set that had it generate a number.  But it was there.
This could only happen if the controller was connected to your computer.

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 10, 2022, 04:15:17 PMUnless something was changed that eliminated the functionality
No, I think that you had the controller connected to your computer before, the only way FPP will show an IP address is if it is on a network (connecting directly to your computer is a network)

sgmaitland

I gave in and ran an ethernet cable to the controller... ;D

Thanks for the help!

Poporacer

Quote from: sgmaitland on September 11, 2022, 03:49:01 PMI gave in and ran an ethernet cable to the controller
I am 1000% certain that is how you did it last year..... Devices cannot communicate in thin air! Glad you got it working!

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Projector video for just one video source by Poporacer
Today at 09:21:09 PM

PiCap w/Controller? by james-s
Today at 05:06:52 PM

F16V4 port 5 Lights flicker by rudybuddy
Today at 04:18:23 PM

new piCaps in the works? by james-s
Today at 01:39:26 PM

Smartthings Integrations by james-s
Today at 01:26:22 PM

Advatek Vortex 48 channel DC controller by CeP
Today at 05:34:34 AM

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 10:24:15 PM

FS Kulp K-8B Controller, Complete by poolprousa
October 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM

60+ Ray Wu Cables, Pigtails, misc by jnealand
October 01, 2022, 08:57:49 AM

Sequence issues from Rasberry pi by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 07:49:10 AM