Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 32
Total: 35

trouble getting bbb to boot

Started by bert-nc, September 13, 2022, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bert-nc

I received a new bbb from wired watts to replace one that I damaged.  

From the labeling i thought sd card had been formatted, inserted card, powered up bbb by usb tethering.
powered led lit, other leds flashing. However after waiting a minute or more, typing 192.168.7.2 into browser (firefox) try to connect, unsuccessful.

reflashed card, same process as above, no success

tried usb tethering cable sent by wired watts, no success

placed bbb on K8-B cape, powered up, using 12 volt power supply, oled did not light up

if i type in 192.168.7.2 with usb tethering cable hooked to computer i get a web page (9 cloud) stating i need to upgrade my software, with instructions above my pay grade

held the s2 button once for 5 seconds with no success

i even placed the sd card from the damaged bbb into new bbb, with the same results

followed trouble shooting guide with no solution to my problem

completely stumped, any ideas

bert-nc

however

Kensington Graves

Quote from: bert-nc on September 13, 2022, 07:00:28 PMif i type in 192.168.7.2 with usb tethering cable hooked to computer i get a web page (9 cloud) stating i need to upgrade my software, with instructions above my pay grade

Check your router's IP address range.  My guess would be that your router is configured for the xxx.xxx.7.xxx subnet, so your computer is being sent on a wild goose chase when it tries to reach that address.

When I set up a BBB, I typically do not tether.  I plug a network cable into the BBB and the router, and power the BBB via a 5v power supply.  Hold down S2 while you apply power—very important as this is often overlooked.  It's a bit awkward to hold S2 and inset the power prong, but that's what you need to do.  You need to hold the S2 button until the lights start flashing, which might take longer than 5 seconds.  Then I go looking for the BBB on the "attached devices" list on the router.  You can us "FPP" or "fpp.local" if you don't have any other FPP devices on the network and the BBB is hardwired to the router.  This assumes that you have the SD card installed, too.

The BBB comes with an OS installed on its onboard flash memory, and it is the default boot device.  Holding down S2 while applying power forces the BBB to boot from the SD card.  Pressing S2 after power is applied is too late and does nothing.  You only need to do this once if an SD card containing a FPP image is installed.

And make sure the SD card is formatted and an image is written to the card using Etcher, Win32 Disk Imager, baleenaEtcher, or ApplePi Baker. 

bert-nc

jnealand

A couple other things.  There is nothing like having some one nearby that you can visit and talk to for help.  Put your city and state in the signature of your profile.

For the fastest help go to the zoom room.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Poporacer

Quote from: bert-nc on September 13, 2022, 07:00:28 PMFrom the labeling i thought sd card had been formatted, inserted card, powered up bbb by usb tethering.
With the onslaught of USB powered/Charging devices, there are a TON of USB cables that are Power only. Make sure the cable supports data.

Quote from: bert-nc on September 13, 2022, 07:00:28 PMpowered led lit, other leds flashing. However after waiting a minute or more, typing 192.168.7.2 into browser (firefox) try to connect, unsuccessful.
Do you have an OLED screen on this device? What does it display?

I would try to re-image the SD card, sounds like you might have a corrupt image
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

bert-nc

thanks for the suggestions

i will have to pick-up or order a 5v power supply to try the router recommendation

the cable I used was one that I used on the previous bbb, so I know it does power and data
also Wired Watts sent a cable with the bbb

the oled screen I mentioned was the one on the k8-b cape, and it never lit up at all

I know someone who lives next door to my son you uses beaglebones in his display, so i might check with his neighbor next time I visit my son. They are only about 45 minutes away

The zoom room is also a great idea, but will try suggestions mentioned here first.

Hopefully this weekend I can try out some of these ideas

will not be long till some of you will start putting up your display

bert-nc

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Projector video for just one video source by Poporacer
Today at 09:21:09 PM

PiCap w/Controller? by james-s
Today at 05:06:52 PM

F16V4 port 5 Lights flicker by rudybuddy
Today at 04:18:23 PM

new piCaps in the works? by james-s
Today at 01:39:26 PM

Smartthings Integrations by james-s
Today at 01:26:22 PM

Advatek Vortex 48 channel DC controller by CeP
Today at 05:34:34 AM

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 10:24:15 PM

FS Kulp K-8B Controller, Complete by poolprousa
October 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM

60+ Ray Wu Cables, Pigtails, misc by jnealand
October 01, 2022, 08:57:49 AM

Sequence issues from Rasberry pi by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 07:49:10 AM