News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15473
Latest: vb
New This Month: 95
New This Week: 10
New Today: 9
Stats
Total Posts: 126849
Total Topics: 15550
Most Online Today: 74
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 31
Total: 33

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option

Started by Solson15, September 30, 2022, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonD

Quote from: bloojoop on October 01, 2022, 02:16:32 AMIf you  really believe that having a separate show network with network drops out in their front yard and routing enabled is any kind of protected, then you are mistaken.  A separate show network is only more secure if it is completely standalone and NOT connected to ANYTHING else or there is a properly managed firewall between the networks.
Simply not true.  A packet sniffer on an unprotected cable, would no longer capture home network traffic, and you would no longer be seeing broadcast traffic giving you a map of the inside network.  Yes, you still have a very vulnerable FPP gateway with a default admin password that is of great concern, but you are in far better shape to deal with it.  Just because you have carnal knowledge of display networks, does not mean someone trying to mess with you will have the same knowledge.  It will definitely make it harder for k6ccc's teenage brat to mess with his light display. 

Turning on IP forwarding certainly adds additional security risks that need to be considered. 

JonD

Quote from: bloojoop on October 01, 2022, 02:17:57 AMI have done quite a few upgrades and anywhere that interface routing was enabled before the upgrade, it was still enabled after the upgrade <shrug> ... upgrading has NOT turned this off for me where I have had it enabled.   
Not sure what to say here.  If you go back through prior posts, it has been one of the top issues, if not the top issue after upgrading to 6.x

You seem to be shooting the messenger.  I don't use the feature.

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on October 01, 2022, 01:37:23 AMI just want to add that the people asking this question are not new to FPP.
If they are not new to FPP, then they "should" be familiar that there is a manual that answers just about every question "IF" something isn't working correctly but you said....

Quote from: JonD on October 01, 2022, 01:37:23 AMThey just hit the upgrade button, because that is what they were told to do, and now everything is broken.
Like @bloojoop said, an upgrade will keep previous settings (at least that has been my experience with at least 12 FPP devices)

Quote from: JonD on October 01, 2022, 01:37:23 AMIt seems very reasonable for them to want their stuff to continue to work after an upgrade.
And it should. But if they do a new install, they will not have that setting set and will then have to figure out how to set it again. Which might be a little bit of a problem.

It probably isn't a perfect solution and there are some that agree and some that disagree. The developers decided it should be and advanced level setting and I agree that there are a probably quite a few people that are using it and this might not be the best solution for them.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

k6ccc

Quote from: bloojoop on October 01, 2022, 02:16:32 AMIf you  really believe that having a separate show network with network drops out in their front yard and routing enabled is any kind of protected, then you are mistaken.  A separate show network is only more secure if it is completely standalone and NOT connected to ANYTHING else or there is a properly managed firewall between the networks. 

Exactly!  Proper firewall in my case.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

JonD

Quote from: Poporacer on October 01, 2022, 08:09:18 AMIf they are not new to FPP, then they "should" be familiar that there is a manual that answers just about every question
I did not make any comments about the manual, but since you brought it up...  are you sure it answers about every question?  The information is technically there, but are experienced users going to read the entire FPP manual from cover to cover, or quickly search for the name they have always used and come up empty? 
 You cannot view this attachment.
Quote from: Poporacer on October 01, 2022, 08:09:18 AMLike @bloojoop said, an upgrade will keep previous settings
I have no reason not to take your word on this.  I merely suggested that it should be easier to find the setting, and kind of got the hammer.  (All good as long as it friendly fire)

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on October 01, 2022, 07:46:46 PMbut since you brought it up...  are you sure it answers about every question?
I don't know for sure, I don't think any manual/book etc, can cover every possible scenario, but it does look fairly complete.

Quote from: JonD on October 01, 2022, 07:46:46 PMbut are experienced users going to read the entire FPP manual from cover to cover
Experienced users are probably not even going to read the manual and then post a question in the forum....LOL

Quote from: JonD on October 01, 2022, 07:46:46 PMor quickly search for the name they have always used and come up empty?
They probably would with a narrow search, but a reasonable person might look in the Network settings section... No, people don't like to read manuals, LOL

benandbobbi

Just fresh loaded 6.1, could not find the Interface Routing button, so came here and found this thread. I did search the manual that i had open, was v5.0 not v6.0, but reading through here i found the new version. I changed the UI setting to advance, and turned IP Forwarding to Forwarding. I am not able to access my controllers yet. I added persistent routes to my PC. I am not sure what else is missing. I have a ethernet cable from Pi to switch, from switch to E682. I took the cable from the switch and connected to the Pi, no luck. I can see FPP on the Pi, so i get through that far.

route add 192.168.5.2XX mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.1XX -p
my controller is 192.168.5.2XX
my Pi is 192.168.0.1XX

sorry, added the XX's incase someone gets upset that i put my addresses on the internet, probably not safe, don't mean to stir up that conversation. I also run the show on a bridge router off my home 192.168.1.xxx, as i was instructed years ago. Again not trying to restart that conversation on the show network, just including possible useful info to help fix my issue.

JonD

Seems like the FPP by default adds the gateway to the ethernet port instead of the wifi port.  Assuming your controller network is plugged into the ethernet port, and you are managing the FPP from the wifi port.  Try removing the gateway from the ethernet config and moving it to the wifi side.  Might require that you reboot afterward.

Poporacer

Quote from: benandbobbi on October 18, 2022, 07:47:15 PMbut reading through here i found the new version
Just a FYI, if you go to the Help section in FPP, it should link you to the most current manual.

Quote from: benandbobbi on October 18, 2022, 07:47:15 PMI have a ethernet cable from Pi to switch, from switch to E682
And how is the switch connected to a network? Or are you using the Pi to Bridge networks and using the Pi to connect to your home network?

Quote from: benandbobbi on October 18, 2022, 07:47:15 PMsorry, added the XX's incase someone gets upset that i put my addresses on the internet, probably not safe, don't mean to stir up that conversation
Those addresses are local to your home network and no one can do anything with them unless they hacked your home network first. Posting the full number will help us make sure you have the correct setting.

Quote from: benandbobbi on October 18, 2022, 07:47:15 PMI also run the show on a bridge router off my home 192.168.1.xxx, as i was instructed years ago.
This usually over complicates things unnecessarily and not sure why someone would instruct you to do that, and that is probably the root of your problem. Since you have essentially 3 different networks that you are working with, depending on how you have these 3 networks configured, you might have to create routing for each network to be able to communicate with each other, you only created routing for 2 of the 3 networks to communicate. 

Quote from: benandbobbi on October 18, 2022, 07:47:15 PMI changed the UI setting to advance, and turned IP Forwarding to Forwarding.
The "forwarding" configuration needs to be on the device that is bridging your networks and it sounds like you are using a second router to do so, then your configuration needs to be on that device. And not all consumer grade routers support that type of configuration. I would highly recommend using one of the more common and recommended methods. It sounds like you could easily use this method and get rid of your "bridging" router and save some headaches.
You cannot view this attachment.

JonD

The FPP upgrade would only impact the FPP.  Provided the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway are the same on your FPP, you should not need to reconfigure or change the rest of your network.  I would first double check your settings, and make sure your gateway is set on the correct interface.  If the FPP is sending traffic destined for your home network to the ethernet port instead of the wifi adaptor, that could be the issue.  I had this issue at upgrade, and have helped others with the same.  It is common and should be ruled out. 

My understanding is, if you were on the correct 5.5 version before upgrading to 6.1, and upgraded instead of installing new, all of the settings should have upgraded.  Sounds like you could have installed new, and used the restore process.  If that is the case, the restore process misses a few things, and we could be missing pieces to the puzzle that are now gone.

If you are missing settings, your configuration does look a little over complicated.  It might be easier to clean it up at that point, than to try to get our head around how it was setup prior.  To help you further we would need to know the exact ip/subnet mask/gateway address of every machine/router the communication passes through.

JonD

Quote from: Poporacer on October 19, 2022, 08:54:48 AMJust a FYI, if you go to the Help section in FPP, it should link you to the most current manual.
I think a lot of people are following Daniel's directions for upgrading to 6.x below.  (I know I did)  The re-image upgrade worked fine that way, but I did loose a lot of settings in the restore process.  The restore from 5.5 is good, but does not get everything. 

Maybe @dkulp could review the directions he posted and see if they are still current.  Seems like most in the forum are recommending that people upgrade to 5.5 prior to migrating to 6.1, and then upgrade to 6.1 instead of installing fresh. 

https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=15423.0

Upgrade Instructions
It is strongly recommended to do a full "OS Level" upgrade or re-image instead of attempting to upgrade directly from any older FPP version. There are several new features that will not work if an OS level upgrade is not done. There are two ways to do so:
  • Re-image - you can backup your 5.x configuration, create a new image, and restore the configuration.
  • In-place upgrade - this is new and requires you to have the latest FPP 5.5 and all updates already running on the device. Download the appropriate "fppos" file to your computer. Make sure the file extension is still fppos (some browsers will rename it). Upload it to the "File Manager" on the FPP instance. Then go to the about page. Under the normal "Manual Upgrade", a new Upgrade OS button should appear. Click it and wait a LONG time. When done, it should reboot into 6.0. At that point, go to the Uploads tab of the FPP File Manager and delete the fppos file. Note: In SOME cases, the reboot will fail due to library replacement. In that case, a power cycle may be required to get it back up and running.

benandbobbi

Wow, lots of help coming in - thank you.
My FPP/SD Card from last year would not open/start on the PI. I used another SD card and did a new install and went to latest version since i was starting from scratch. I had screen shots of old settings and used that to enter the new version. I seem to have trouble with random power flickers through the season and sometimes, FPP does not come back and needs to be reinstalled - another issue.

This setup "worked" intermittently the last few years. I could get to the Pi, but access to the controllers connected some days and not others. I really only need to access the controllers while i am getting things setup. Once the show is running, there is very little need for the connection and the Pi does the work.

My network -
ISP Router (192.168.1.?) -> ethernet cable across house -> wifi router (called kitchen - in my kitchen) on same network (told this was like an access point) -> ethernet cable -> wifi router (called Christmas, outside from kitchen in carport) 192.168.0.101 (i think) I was told this was setup in bridge mode. Wifi from Christmas router goes to Pi wifi  192.168.0.124 about 30 feet away, Ethernet from the Pi 192.168.5.250 goes into channel 1 on the switch, channel 2 on the switch goes to the only connected controller right now (E682) 192.168.5.206.

Added persistant route - route add 192.168.5.206 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.124 -p

Getting this setup working each year is my biggest struggle, part of because i just don't understand the network stuff and i usually wait till the week of Thanksgiving to put the lights and controllers out and stress trying to get them running by the weekend. The Pi never seems to pickup where i shut it down the year before, it has always been a reload each year.

benandbobbi

This is the thread that got my Christmas router setup the way it is - http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?52543-Networking-Q1-FPP-on-Rasberry-Pi-how-do-i-get-back-to-wireless-setup-on-Pi/page4&highlight=ben%26amp%3Bbobbi I usually don't have to mess with that part, it is usually getting connected to FPP, then getting access to the controllers that i struggle with.

benandbobbi

Below is how i currently have FPP Network setup

can't add images, paste from snipping tool does not work, haven't looked how to add images, so here is info in text form

wlan0
Interface Mode - Static
IP address - 192.168.0.124
Net Mask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.0.1

WPA SSID - christmas

Route Matrix - 0
IP Forwarding - Forward
DHCP Server - empty

eth0
Interface Mode - Static
IP address - 192.168.5.250
Net Mask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - empty

Route Matrix - 0
IP Forwarding - Forward
DHCP Server - empty

Poporacer

Quote from: benandbobbi on October 19, 2022, 08:27:41 PMAdded persistant route - route add 192.168.5.206 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.124 -p
That is wrong, it should be route add 192.168.5.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.124 -p (see not knowing even the smallest number makes a difference)

Quote from: benandbobbi on October 19, 2022, 08:27:41 PMGetting this setup working each year is my biggest struggle, part of because i just don't understand the network stuff
And you are severely overcomplicating it with all of your routers. 

Quote from: benandbobbi on October 19, 2022, 08:29:07 PMcan't add images, paste from snipping tool does not work
You have to save the image first and then upload them. You can't do it from a quick reply, or preview your quick replay and you will get the option.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

WLED Plugin not working by Negativez0
Today at 07:14:00 AM

FPP connect by rudybuddy
Today at 06:53:17 AM

EDM Audio and RemoteFalcon plugin conflict by JonD
Today at 06:45:27 AM

F48 with Daisy Chained Smart Receivers by JonD
Today at 06:14:02 AM

USB Wifi Adapter by jem5136
Today at 05:37:34 AM