Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 43
Total: 51

Default Password?

Started by bajadahl, August 14, 2013, 04:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajadahl

I can connect to the web config page. And I can also connect using SSH but I cannot find the default root password?  I'd like to get in and change the IP address to mach my network.   Can you share the default passwd?

Alan

MyKroFt

Root has no password and is disabled by default.

sudo is your friend here to edit the /etc/network/interfaces file

I will have the network config page done tonight so it will be able to be edited via the GUI.

You can also force the FPP to a ip by mapping the FPPs mac address to a specific ip in your router if you don't want want to edit the interfaces file by hand, 1 typo will prevent your pi from getting a ip and no network access.

Myk

bajadahl

Thanks - I am running it headless, so I was just looking for a way into it through ssh.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Regards,
Alan

David Pitts

default username is "pi"
default password is "raspberry"
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

bajadahl

Thank you that got me in.

Alan

MyKroFt

ok, he didn't say he could not get in at all.

All PI distros I think default to pi/raspberry

Myk

bajadahl

yep like I said... I should have been more specific.  This is my first Pi so I was just looking for account info.

Thanks again
Alan

Materdaddy

FYI, the FPP image is based on raspbian, which is based on debian.  That means no root logins, only user logins and su/sudo.

JonB256

After writing the newest image, I didn't even connect to a monitor or keyboard. I just put in the USB memory stick, CAT5 to my nearest Ethernet switch, and powered up the Pi.  Uploaded some MP3 files, created a musical playlist and let it play.

Go to 192.168.0.10 and it was available in about 15 to 20 seconds. Since I'm a Linux noob, that was good news for me.

Jon
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

bajadahl

Quote from: Materdaddy on August 14, 2013, 08:32:30 PM
FYI, the FPP image is based on raspbian, which is based on debian.  That means no root logins, only user logins and su/sudo.

In all fairness the root user is still there....Just locked.  It is quite easy to unlock for us old guys who refuse to use sudo.  But that's just the old dog in me not wanting to learn new tricks. 

Thanks everyone for getting me on the right path.  My Pi is now happily on my network cruisin' along.

MyKroFt

ya the 192.168.0.10 will always work if your lan is on 192.168.0.x - otherwise with newer routers - the dhcp should set FPP to whatever the main ip is.

Image is being updated to speak the ip and other problems out the audio port for those who don't have keyboard/monitor hooked up.

Myk

Quote from: JonB256 on August 14, 2013, 09:10:15 PM
After writing the newest image, I didn't even connect to a monitor or keyboard. I just put in the USB memory stick, CAT5 to my nearest Ethernet switch, and powered up the Pi.  Uploaded some MP3 files, created a musical playlist and let it play.

Go to 192.168.0.10 and it was available in about 15 to 20 seconds. Since I'm a Linux noob, that was good news for me.

Jon

Materdaddy

Quote from: bajadahl on August 14, 2013, 09:43:23 PM
Quote from: Materdaddy on August 14, 2013, 08:32:30 PM

In all fairness the root user is still there....Just locked.  It is quite easy to unlock for us old guys who refuse to use sudo.  But that's just the old dog in me not wanting to learn new tricks. 

Thanks everyone for getting me on the right path.  My Pi is now happily on my network cruisin' along.

Which is why I said no "root logins".  It's still there.

Another pedantic linux user I see.  I like it. :D

bajadahl

Quote from: Materdaddy on August 14, 2013, 10:19:00 PM

Another pedantic linux user I see.  I like it. :D

I've been waiting all day to respond to this....Seem posting was a bit haywire earlier.

So now let me tell you something  -  Hey! I resemble that remark!   :D