News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15486
Latest: Cousin_Eddie
New This Month: 108
New This Week: 22
New Today: 6
Stats
Total Posts: 126958
Total Topics: 15571
Most Online Today: 108
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 36
Total: 39

E1.31 and WIFI

Started by Jeffl, February 03, 2015, 09:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffl

I have seen a few posts about this and I would like to test things out to see if I have an issue.  I have ran E1.31 with an Etherdongle in multicast since it came out and have not noticed an issue with my network, but I was only using 2 universes.  With this year looking like more universes I want understand this better now instead of later.

Is it as easy as firing up the LOR listener, xLights or FPP with E1.31 data on wired connection and watching for traffic on a separate WIFI connected laptop using Wireshark?

JonB256

Quote from: Jeffl on February 03, 2015, 09:26:04 PM
Is it as easy as firing up the LOR listener, xLights or FPP with E1.31 data on wired connection and watching for traffic on a separate WIFI connected laptop using Wireshark?

If you configure LOR for 32 or 64 DMX universes in Multicast, and then open LOR and it's "listener" you will definitely see the Multicast traffic with Wireshark. In xLights, if you check the "Output" box, you will also.

The Data Lights on all my connected ports (8-port Netgear switch) start flashing at that time, too.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

CaptainMurdoch

Some home wireless routers will broadcast multicast over the wireless, some won't, so you may or may not see the wired-network E1.31 traffic over your wireless network.  I would test on the wired network first to confirm you can see the traffic in wireshark, then switch to wireless to see if you see it there.
-
Chris

Jeffl

Testing is still in progress.  But the one thing I did notice that was puzzling was the output activity of xLights vs LOR.  For xLights I just setup the universes and checked output to lights.  For LOR I setup the networks and started the control panel.  Attached is a screen shot of my network activity screen on the wired PC I'm using to do the output tests.

Doesn't this look odd?

MattBrown

That is normal. LOR sends every universe every time. xLights skips universes when the data hasn't changed.

Matt

JonB256

Matt, do you know if the FPP output is more like LOR's or xLights?
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

Jeffl

Thanks for the clarification.  I did numerous tests and I didn't see any traffic on my wifi network.  I updated all my core switches in the house to gigabit after the season so I'm not worried about the E1.31 activity saturating anything.

MattBrown

Quote from: JonB256 on February 06, 2015, 07:46:26 AM
I don't know. Someone on the FPP dev team would need to answer that.

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: JonB256 on February 06, 2015, 07:46:26 AM

FPP does not skip packets when sending E1.31.  I made a note about investigating this possibility in FPP.  It may be something that could be easily added once I get through with the sequence player and channel output changes I am working on.
-
Chris

AussiePhil

Just as an FYI

SACNView is a far better tool for checking your E131 on the network, it will also allow your to transmit a universe of data as well from the software.

http://sacnview.sourceforge.net/

this reminds me that I would love to see the priority feature of ACN implemented at all levels in hardware and software, especially the hardware controllers

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Christmas 2022 Lights by ShadowLight8
Today at 05:54:00 PM

FPP and projector by morrydavis
Today at 05:42:57 PM

Remote Relay Control by MGHaff007
Today at 05:42:01 PM

E1.31 data not getting to WLED controller by morrydavis
Today at 05:41:06 PM

Does FPP include an operating NTP server? by breese
Today at 05:11:29 PM