News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15486
Latest: Cousin_Eddie
New This Month: 108
New This Week: 22
New Today: 6
Stats
Total Posts: 126958
Total Topics: 15571
Most Online Today: 108
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 45
Total: 53

MADRIX

Started by nsunier, February 13, 2015, 12:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsunier

Hello,

I am a brand new user of FPP which is running on a raspberry PI B+.

As said in the title, my question is related to MADRIX software. I own a license of this software. But for an architectural project I do not want to use a real "big" computer and also I do not want to leave alone my MADRIX hardware license key. This is why I am really interested in using FPP as a "simple" E1.31 player.

Do you know if it is possible to record the E1.31 output of MADRIX or to export the sequence from MADRIX in order to put it into FPP?
Lighting Designer / grandMA Programmer

David Pitts

Dan Kulp created an E131 to .fseq converter in Java. Look at this thread and attachment of reply 13.

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,770.0.html
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

nsunier

It sounds very interesting. I will have a look on it and I will give you my feedback.

nsunier

I succeeded into compiling the java source file.

But when executing the program:

java E131Recorder Test
Press enter to end recording
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.DatagramChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.DatagramSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
        at E131Recorder$1.run(E131Recorder.java:52)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Wrote 0 time slices (50ms) of data

Any idea about why this error message? What is this "bind"?

Steve Gase

you likely have another program using the port on your PC where E1.31 is received.  The program is trying to "bind" itself to the port to listen for incoming packets, but something else already was able to "bind" first.

it is likely a E1.31-related is program is running in background.  look for, and stop that program and try again. 

if you still have an issue, reboot and try the program.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

bajadahl

There is another problem you may run into also with the way the java script was written it sounds like it needs the output setup in unicast and Madrix doesn't support unicast.  I'm not but it is possible that Madrix is actually causing the port binding problem.

Alan

nsunier

You are right, Madrix outputs E1.31 in multicast mode.

I am wondering if it could be an idea to capture E1.31 packets with Wireshark and to find a way to convert them in the correct format (which one?) for FPP. What do you think about?

David Pitts

Quote from: nsunier on February 15, 2015, 02:54:02 AM

I am wondering if it could be an idea to capture E1.31 packets with Wireshark and to find a way to convert them in the correct format (which one?) for FPP. What do you think about?
Seems like it would be easier to change program to open multicast port. .aybe a java guru could jump in.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

dkulp

Quote from: David Pitts on February 15, 2015, 08:13:46 AM
Quote from: nsunier on February 15, 2015, 02:54:02 AM

Seems like it would be easier to change program to open multicast port. .aybe a java guru could jump in.

Definitely possible, but requires a bit more configuration.   Unicast goes out on a single port so to listen, you only need to open a single port.   For multicast, you need to open a port per universe you are interested in so the program needs to change enough to allow specifying which universes to listen for.   
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

dkulp

Does Madrix have any export or save capability at all?   Can the effects be saved in any sort of CSV file or similar?   That would be much easier to deal with if possible.

David Pitts

Not sure. Thanks Dan for the feedback.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

bajadahl

This got me thinking since I also have Madrix. I cracked open the Madrix manual and it Does have a record function where it creates an output file that it can read at a later time. Now the question becomes is it a file that can be read by something we can manipulate. I doubt it's as simple as a CSV file but who knows.  If a dev is willing to look at a file I will create one. I know you are all busy so no big deal either way.   

Alan

CaptainMurdoch

If you create a simple effect such as scrolling text and give the info about the model
Such as channel numbers, wrapping, etc. then I will take a look sometime unless someone beats me to it.  If it is a simple format we could either support converting to .eseq in xLights or playing directly in FPP as an effect.
-
Chris

bajadahl

I will do a simple Madrix output file tomorrow.   Just got home and family wants a movie night since there is no school tomorrow.  (I might be able to sneak out to the garage in a bit)

dkulp

That would be great.  Do something relatively small and simple.  Maybe a 10x10 matrix with a very simple effect like top half one color, bottom another, change those colors, etc...   Keep it less than 10 seconds.

Also, if you can do it at 20fps, that would also be helpful.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Christmas 2022 Lights by ShadowLight8
Today at 05:54:00 PM

FPP and projector by morrydavis
Today at 05:42:57 PM

Remote Relay Control by MGHaff007
Today at 05:42:01 PM

E1.31 data not getting to WLED controller by morrydavis
Today at 05:41:06 PM

Does FPP include an operating NTP server? by breese