Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 25
Total: 32

What do you use to send data for the P10 panels

Started by Jeffl, March 09, 2015, 08:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffl

I have been quietly watching posts on these panels and hate to ask a dumb question but what do you use to make them magical?  I think I see xLights but I'm curious at a high level how?  What protocol do they receive?

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: Jeffl on March 09, 2015, 08:38:19 PM
I have been quietly watching posts on these panels and hate to ask a dumb question but what do you use to make them magical?  I think I see xLights but I'm curious at a high level how?  What protocol do they receive?

They essentially use shift registers on each of the RGB inputs.  Values for one row of LED's are shifted in then the values for the next row are shifted in, etc..  All dimming is done in the controller not in the LED panels like with smart pixels using something like a WS2811 or TM1804.  The physical interface is called 'HUB75'  it is a 16-pin 2x8 header.

These can be driven by the Pi directly or the current preferred method of using an Octoscroller board on the BeagleBone Black.  Ron on DIYChristmas.org also has an E1.31 bridge which can drive them.

FPP on the BBB allows you to use a normal horizontal matrix definition in your sequencer.  The BBB can support up to 64 panels.  Ron's board can support 8 panels I believe and requires use of a custom model in xLights/Nutcracker.
-
Chris

Jeffl

That's what I needed.  Thanks for the thorough explanation.

arw01

So physically for either a Pi B+ or a BBB, with the standard Hub 75 cables that come with the boards, how would I physically hook up one or two panels to test them?

arw01

I found a post from Cap'n with a link to the Wiki page to order the Park boards and then I ordered the headers from Adafruit, maybe in a week and a week I will have the pieces to test these little beasties with.

drlucas

I can help with the hookup for the Pi to test - the adafruit website was helpful - but I haven't figured the BBB yet. My octoscrollers are shipping out today by the looks of the email I got yesterday so I will probably just wait for the cape to arrive to test with the BBB.

I at first was thinking with what David has planned that I jumped the gun and shouldn't of bought the boards but thinking now that I'll put my panels in Windows inside the house and will likely use three different bbbs anyways so they will all go to good use. Need to figure out the best way to mount these panels now. I'm thinking some 1x2s on a piece of plywood and cut out some access holes for power and data cables and then mount a PSU on the back of the wood. I'll post pictures as i try different things over the next few months
Ryan

arw01

I've been thinking of different ideas of mounting them as well, might try my hand at "welding" some poly-carbonite(sp) or maybe using the glue stuff they make aquariums out of?

Bshaver

My Ron's board is shipping to me and should be here tomorrow. So I have the following:

RTC Hat
Rons Board
Single pi direct attached adapter
octoscroller for BBB

All are outputting using the various libraries, LEDscape or RGBMatrix . Some look better than others, but all achieve the result of putting pictures on the matrix :)..

I have a 2 across by 3 down matrix of P10 panels running in my environment with the idea to order more panels - total qty under control ~ 20 in the end.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Jeffl

I just hope one of you does a video of all these options so I can get educated enough to pick one. :)

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: Bshaver on March 11, 2015, 09:18:55 AM
RTC Hat
Rons Board
Single pi direct attached adapter
octoscroller for BBB

All are outputting using the various libraries, LEDscape or RGBMatrix . Some look better than others, but all achieve the result of putting pictures on the matrix :)..

Once you have the ability to test all of these, can you rank them by quality?  We can probably get together a comparison grid between the different solutions with pros and cons.  In May, I will be giving a presentation at the NW Regional CLAP mini talking about the LED panels, controller options, software, etc..

I would think that the output of the panels controlled by the BBB/Octoscroller and Ron's board are probably very similar in appearance.  I'd like to get more opinions on whether the Adafruit hat is any better than the passive PCB I created to connect the panels to the Pi.  When I initially tested with level shifters, I didn't really notice a difference so I didn't put them on the PCB, but it could be that some LED panels are better than others at dealing with the 3.3V signal from the Pi, so that is why I want to revisit the level shifter implementation and put those on the triple-output PCB.  If the Pi can drive even 8 or 16 boards using and it looks acceptable when using level shifters then that is another (cheaper) option for users.  The level shifters could also be left off the board and just jumpered over with a wire or solder bridge.
-
Chris

Bshaver

Current test between RTC Hat and BBB Octoscroller for 6 panels in a 2 across 3 down. There is Noise in the PI RTC hat still. BBB looks much cleaner and no noise
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Bshaver

However; when I get a chance, it may not be noisy for lower qty of panels on the RTC Hat.

Captn.. I'm going to test your direct attached board in a few minutes with my 6 panels :)
Denver Colorado

Bshaver

Capt'n. The direct attached V1.1 board is very noisy.. and dropping pixels on a 2 across by 3 down matrix. That said. I have it on a B+... I'll try the direct attached on a Pi V2 as well
Denver Colorado

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: Bshaver on March 11, 2015, 02:19:57 PM
Capt'n. The direct attached V1.1 board is very noisy.. and dropping pixels on a 2 across by 3 down matrix. That said. I have it on a B+... I'll try the direct attached on a Pi V2 as well

I've been using the direct attach PCB's mainly on an original v1 B.  I think that part of it must be panel related with certain panels not functioning as well with the 3.3V signals from the Pi and needing the 5V to work well.

One other thing, I think you mentioned you are using a longer cable.  The cable length would affect it as well.  The lower voltage could work fine with a 10-20" cable but not a 30-40" cable.

You are also comparing two different code bases if you are switching libraries to test the Adafruit hat vs the direct attach PCB.  Adafruit did make some timing changes to their code.  Henner has made some of these same changes to his upstream version of the library, so I want to update and test those to see if they help.  I will try to get this done sometime soon.  I need to do that to test the 3-output board anyway.
-
Chris

Bshaver

Capt'n
I tested with a LONG cable from PI/Device to First panel - 1 Meter and the results were:

Captn Hat - very noisy - dropped pixels, severe lag in pinwheel and jumpy text
RTC Hat - Noisy, lag in pinwheel and butterfly and text
BBB Octoscroller - stable

I then replaced the 1 M long cable with a 12" cable - shortest I have ( to be able to still connect the device and the panel)

Captn Hat - noise improved - but VERY noisy when doing full color washes - butterfly or drape effects with xlights.fseq sequences. Text useable
RTC Hat - noise improved - stable on most fronts. Some lag on pinwheel. text usable
BBB - stable

Denver Colorado

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Script/Plug-In Trigger on Data by Bwinter
Today at 02:32:49 PM

F16v3 Won't boot or power on by rjhodgefamily
Today at 02:22:05 PM

F48v4NS - Pi or No Pi? by rjhodgefamily
Today at 02:17:25 PM

Set Time/Date by Rick
January 29, 2023, 10:09:08 PM

help getting started, next step? by Poporacer
January 28, 2023, 05:10:18 PM