Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 49
Total: 56

A problem that may not be a problem much longer

Started by JonB256, May 29, 2015, 08:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB256

I never noticed this on a Pi based FPP, but on my BBB version today, I started having trouble with simple booting and accessing my unit.

Turns out that the problem was related to the Powered USB Hub that I am using for my USB Memory and Wireless module.
My BBB is currently has a beta version of the F4-B attached. As I tried various things, I'd shutdown the BBB. Since it is getting its 5vdc from the power input on the F4-B, I would have to unplug and replug that power supply to restart the BBB. Not a problem. Then I noticed that everything was plugged into a power strip, so I began using the switch on the strip. Then my problems began.

It turns out the the BBB just doesn't see the USB devices soon enough in the boot process and gets very confused. That meant that I didn't always get a Wireless connection and sometimes didn't see the media folders on the memory drive.

The good news is, when the next version of the BBB software is tested and released, I won't need the USB Memory stick, meaning that I can keep the Wireless plugged into the BBB's single USB. Problem solved.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

gadgetsmith

One feature I've grow to love is the power button on the BBB.  No having to pull the power, or shutdown through the FPP web page. Not sure if the  is accessible with the F4-B attached?

arw01

Quote from: JonB256 on May 29, 2015, 08:25:23 PM
I never noticed this on a Pi based FPP, but on my BBB version today, I started having trouble with simple booting and accessing my unit.

Turns out that the problem was related to the Powered USB Hub that I am using for my USB Memory and Wireless module.
My BBB is currently has a beta version of the F4-B attached. As I tried various things, I'd shutdown the BBB. Since it is getting its 5vdc from the power input on the F4-B, I would have to unplug and replug that power supply to restart the BBB. Not a problem. Then I noticed that everything was plugged into a power strip, so I began using the switch on the strip. Then my problems began.

It turns out the the BBB just doesn't see the USB devices soon enough in the boot process and gets very confused. That meant that I didn't always get a Wireless connection and sometimes didn't see the media folders on the memory drive.

The good news is, when the next version of the BBB software is tested and released, I won't need the USB Memory stick, meaning that I can keep the Wireless plugged into the BBB's single USB. Problem solved.

Ok I'll bite, why won't we need the memory stick?

JonB256

Because the FPP build will be in the BBB's internal memory and sequence data will move to the SD card. It will free up that poor, single USB for my wireless dongle.

Gary

JonB256

Quote from: Gary on May 30, 2015, 11:19:32 AM
What are you using for sound output?

I'll be using a Raspberry Pi based FPP for sound, set up as the Master. The BBB(s) will be slaves.
The sound from the Pi to my EDM transmitter has been excellent.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

What am I doing wrong? FPP I’m ZCCP? by rudybuddy
Today at 09:01:26 AM

FPP Playlist by dkulp
Today at 07:14:42 AM

Setting up LOR to serial of F16v3 and configure in xLights by brmeadows
Today at 05:46:42 AM

FPP not releasing control to WLED when idle by Poporacer
December 06, 2022, 10:39:18 PM

1 player/2 remote by Poporacer