Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 44
Total: 47

Addition to BBB Wiki to help noobs

Started by dwetzel, June 19, 2015, 09:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwetzel

It took me a few tries before I realized I needed to hold down the "user boot" button. Maybe this could be added to the shown Wiki the text.

   Take your Beaglebone Black (BBB) out of the box
   Connect a network cable.
   Insert the microSD card you just imaged into your BBB.
   Insert USB Flash drive.
   If you have a microUSB HDMI cable you can connect it to an HDMI monitor so you can view the boot process.
   While holding down the 'user boot' button, apply power to the board. Continue to hold the 'user boot' button until the USER LEDs begin to flash.
   Connect the power to your BBB. You should use a 5V external power source, USB power may not work

Note: Highlighted text was borrowed from the BeagleBoard.org website.

The Wiki is awesome, I liked being able to copy the commands into the ssh window.

gadgetsmith

I noted this in another tread when installing, but not everyone needs to do this for some reason.  It forces the BBB to boot from the SD card is what I read.

patdelaney

Quote from: dwetzel on June 19, 2015, 09:04:33 PM

It took me a few tries before I realized I needed to hold down the "user boot" button. Maybe this could be added to the shown Wiki the text.

   Take your Beaglebone Black (BBB) out of the box
   Connect a network cable.
   Insert the microSD card you just imaged into your BBB.
   Insert USB Flash drive.
   If you have a microUSB HDMI cable you can connect it to an HDMI monitor so you can view the boot process.
   While holding down the 'user boot' button, apply power to the board. Continue to hold the 'user boot' button until the USER LEDs begin to flash.
   Connect the power to your BBB. You should use a 5V external power source, USB power may not work

Note: Highlighted text was borrowed from the BeagleBoard.org website.

The Wiki is awesome, I liked being able to copy the commands into the ssh window.

I updated the Wiki with your comments.