Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 55
Total: 62

Now for a router question

Started by Charles Belcher, August 13, 2015, 04:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Belcher

I have gone the path of using xLights for programming, Pi2/FPP for master and audio out, Pi2/FPP for remote to projector and BBB/octoscroller for my (24) P10 setup.

My Verizon Fios router/modem combo unit is at the back of the house and the house has no Cat5 running anywhere.

My front yard will have those units listed above, along with several controllers.  I have already purchased a D-Link 8 port gigabit switch model DGS-1008G to use to get around the front yard with Cat 5 cable.  I will not need wireless for that purpose, because all components will be within 100' from each another (and the switch).

Once the Pi2's and BBB are set-up initially, will I need to place a router outside and tie it to my inside home router?  If so, will it need to be Lan to Lan or Lan to Wan to my home router?  If so, I need to be finding a route for that cable.

Is an internet clock required after the initial set up and thus, the master Pi2 will need internet access?  If a clock is not needed after the initial set up and a 2nd router not required, will the master Pi2 just connect to the switch and send out information to the other components via the switch?

It is possible, I am not asking the right questions here...but

Charles
One of the 2018 "AllStars" on The Great Light Fight

jnealand

I run a second router for my show network and I connect the show wan port to a house lan port.  But, I do that for convenience, maybe laziness, not because I have to.  I have just a single cat 5 running from inside the house to my first controller outside (a DLA active hub) and all other controllers just daisy chain from that one.  I am all pixelnet with some DMX using DLA wireless taken from that active hub.  The show router wan has been connected to a lan port on the house network and the show router is configured to be a totally different network.  Has worked great so far.  This year I am planning to use multiple Pis and am trying to figure out how I would mount/protect the show router when placed outside which would eliminate the single wire I currently have going from inside to outside the house.  Or I will just keep running one wire outside, back to the laziness gene.  Currently everything sits on a TV table by a window in my wife's sewing room where there just happens to be a network jack, LOL.  So many choices, so little time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Charles Belcher

Quote from: jnealand on August 13, 2015, 08:13:51 PM
This year I am planning to use multiple Pis and am trying to figure out how I would mount/protect the show router when placed outside which would eliminate the single wire I currently have going from inside to outside the house.

jnealand,

Does this quoted part of your reply mean that you will be connecting the outside show router to the inside home router via wireless and then continuing from the show router to all show components via wire?

Charles

Gerry

Hello Charles,

You may be able to do the following . Have the PI (master) use a USB Wifi to connect wirelessly to your home router and hence to the internet to get the time.

The PI and the BBB and other controllers then connect as your show network via your show switch/router (different subnet)

I am not sure if a switch will do . I have an inexpensive (non wireless) router in a similar setup.

Gerry

garhett

Quote from: Charles Belcher on August 13, 2015, 04:14:30 PM
I have gone the path of using xLights for programming, Pi2/FPP for master and audio out, Pi2/FPP for remote to projector and BBB/octoscroller for my (24) P10 setup.

My Verizon Fios router/modem combo unit is at the back of the house and the house has no Cat5 running anywhere.

My front yard will have those units listed above, along with several controllers.  I have already purchased a D-Link 8 port gigabit switch model DGS-1008G to use to get around the front yard with Cat 5 cable.  I will not need wireless for that purpose, because all components will be within 100' from each another (and the switch).

Once the Pi2's and BBB are set-up initially, will I need to place a router outside and tie it to my inside home router?  If so, will it need to be Lan to Lan or Lan to Wan to my home router?  If so, I need to be finding a route for that cable.

Is an internet clock required after the initial set up and thus, the master Pi2 will need internet access?  If a clock is not needed after the initial set up and a 2nd router not required, will the master Pi2 just connect to the switch and send out information to the other components via the switch?

It is possible, I am not asking the right questions here...but

Charles

you could just get a wireless bridge/extender with ethernet ports.  if you were not going to separate your home and show networks then no reason for the additional router. you should be able to connect your switch to the bridge.  not sure if the bridge or switch will auto-sense the connection so you may need a crossover cable.

if adding a router i would do lan from home to wan on show router with a straight through cable. if the show routers wan interface supports dhcp then it will get an IP address from the home network router.  if not you would have to pick an address not in use and configure it.  make sure that your LAN/WAN networks are different or you can run into problems.

jnealand

Quote from: Charles Belcher on August 13, 2015, 08:35:21 PM
This year I am planning to use multiple Pis and am trying to figure out how I would mount/protect the show router when placed outside which would eliminate the single wire I currently have going from inside to outside the house.

jnealand,

Does this quoted part of your reply mean that you will be connecting the outside show router to the inside home router via wireless and then continuing from the show router to all show components via wire?

Charles

There will be no connection between the routers.  The wifi in the Pis will be connected to the home network so I can communicate with them.  The show router will just be there to let all my controllers (not players) communicate with each other and keep show lighting traffic off the home network.  Although connecting a laptop via wifi to the show network will also let me work with the players via that connection.  Lots of choices here.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Charles Belcher

Quote from: jnealand on August 14, 2015, 07:05:54 AM
Quote from: Charles Belcher on August 13, 2015, 08:35:21 PM

jnealand,

Yes, lots of choices and I am headed out to Destin this morning with the family for a week, so this project will get postponed for a couple of weeks at least.

To be continued...

Charles

jnealand,

Charles

There will be no connection between the routers.  The wifi in the Pis will be connected to the home network so I can communicate with them.  The show router will just be there to let all my controllers (not players) communicate with each other and keep show lighting traffic off the home network.  Although connecting a laptop via wifi to the show network will also let me work with the players via that connection.  Lots of choices here.

Charles Belcher

Back on the router issue:

I have an old Netgear Wgt624 router which I was attempting to do some tests on today.  The first problem is that it has the same IPS address as my main router.  I know I need to change the show router to 192.168.2.1 while leaving my main router at 192.168.1.1

The second problem is that my main router is a FIOS Quantum modem/router combo unit, so I cannot simply disconnect the main router from the modem, insert the show router, log on and change the ip address, then reconnect it all.

I went into the main Fios router and disabled the DCHP, but that did not work.  How can I accomplish this task?

Charles

CaptainMurdoch

Plug your laptop into the show router and connect to it and change the address and also allow remote management via the wan connection.  Then move your laptop back to home network and plug the show router's wan port into home network and you can now manage show router via its wan IP which is actually an IP on your home network.  When show router moves to yard you can manage via wifi.
-
Chris

tbone321

I would not enable remote management on the show router.  There really isn't any reason to do it.  Any management that he needs to do can be done with the router connected to the PC through one of the LAN ports (no connection to the WAN port at all).  Once he configures the wireless portion, then he can simply log into the router from the wireless connection to make any other required changes but if he is simply using the router more or less as a wireless access point, there really isn't all that much he needs to worry about.  If he has no intention of keeping the show router to the home router, there is no reason to ever connect them together.

Charles Belcher

Quote from: tbone321 on September 08, 2015, 01:04:04 PM
I would not enable remote management on the show router.  There really isn't any reason to do it.  Any management that he needs to do can be done with the router connected to the PC through one of the LAN ports (no connection to the WAN port at all).  Once he configures the wireless portion, then he can simply log into the router from the wireless connection to make any other required changes but if he is simply using the router more or less as a wireless access point, there really isn't all that much he needs to worry about.  If he has no intention of keeping the show router to the home router, there is no reason to ever connect them together.

Forgot to add that I will have a cat5 cable connected from house router to show router so I can get clock.  I could do wireless, but the cable is already there.

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: tbone321 on September 08, 2015, 01:04:04 PM

The remote management makes it so that he doesn't have to have his laptop on two different networks at the same time or move it to the show network in order to manage the show router.  If the show router is not on the home network then enabling remote management is not any security risk.  The reason to connect them together is so he doesn't have to switch networks with his laptop and also has a 'back door' into the show router should he ever need it.  Just plug the router into home network and manage it.
-
Chris

Charles Belcher

Did as Capt suggested.  My house router is 192.168.1.1.  I labeled the 2nd router Showrouter and assigned it a Static 192.168.1.120.  Unplugged it and moved it back to house router. Plugged it into Lan on house router and Wan on Showrouter. 

Opened up house router in browser and it shows up correctly and as "active" but will not ping.

Charles

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: Charles Belcher on September 08, 2015, 03:25:25 PM
Opened up house router in browser and it shows up correctly and as "active" but will not ping.

You are trying to ping the 192.168.1.120 IP from your home network?  Some routers block external ping by default, so you might not be able to ping from the home network.  Can you connect to the show router's management UI via the 192.168.1.120 IP address from your home network?  This will only work if you enabled remote management.
-
Chris

Charles Belcher

Quote from: CaptainMurdoch on September 08, 2015, 03:43:20 PM
Quote from: Charles Belcher on September 08, 2015, 03:25:25 PM

You are trying to ping the 192.168.1.120 IP from your home network?  Some routers block external ping by default, so you might not be able to ping from the home network.  Can you connect to the show router's management UI via the 192.168.1.120 IP address from your home network?  This will only work if you enabled remote management.

Yes, trying to ping from laptop on house router.  Cannot connect to show router 192.168.1.120.  Remote mgmt is enable but when I go to the house routers UI, the show router is listed but has an exclamation mark next to it.

Charles

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

FPP connect by darylc
Today at 06:49:10 AM

Very unexpected error message by darylc
Today at 02:54:04 AM

I'm Stumped by saleencb
November 29, 2022, 11:58:52 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by Poporacer
November 29, 2022, 10:45:10 PM