Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 68
Total: 75

2016 P10 Matrix sanity check

Started by brianweb, January 04, 2016, 09:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianweb

OK, been reading and researching all this P10 stuff and here is where my head is at, looking for some confirmation:

I want a 5x5, maybe 6x6 P10 matrix. I am going to use it both as a traditional matrix with effects from Xlights as well as a video screen for some songs (Frozen). In that case I presume I will play an MP4 through Xlights.

I am going to need a BBB and Octoscroller.  Robbin cables will connect each panel horizontally. Each row will be on its own octoscroller output. I will need two 5v power supplies plus a dedicated/stable wall wart for the BBB itself.

I am going to grab a quality SD card to avoid some of the BBB issues I have read about.

I am going to build an enclosure for the matrix for weather proofing and use James' corners to connect this thing together.  I plan on plexiglass front and 6" or so deep.

I am going to use a RasPi to run this thing, with the best practice being have another Rpi as the master for the rest of my show and a dedicated raspi in slave mode for the matrix to reduce network traffic.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks,

Brian

mararunr

You don't need two Raspberry Pis.  The Falcon Player runs on the BBB so the BBB is the slave.  You don't need an additional Pi to control the BBB.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

rlemery

I have been powering the BBB with the same power supply that runs the p10 panel's with no problems. Running 20 panel's with 2 power supplies.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

deplanche

Along the same lines as the original post, how many P10 panels can a BBB run?  How many panels can each Octoscroller run?

JonB256

A BBB or BBG can have one Octoscroller attached.

That Octoscroller has 8 outputs. Each output can have 8 panels attached "daisy-chain" fashion using Hub75 ribbon cables.

So, one BBB maxes out at 64 P10 panels.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

AussiePhil

Brian,

on a 5x5 you shouldn't need 2 power supplies, I ran a 5x5 this year, bbb in slave mode, 1 x 350w supply drove the array.

I did have one 350w supply fail but suspect that was more Australian heat with the supply living inside the sealed array and full Oz sun shining through the clear back.... lesson learnt, mount supply outside in separate case if in hot environment.

lwillisjr

So is the FPP on the BBB just acting as a controller? I mean I want my P10 matrix to be just one element in my show. So I will still have a 'master' player on the network. So so you set the FPP on the BBB somehow in what I would call a pass thru mode? I just want it to pick up the DMX channel information off the network and then convert to the P10's.

AussiePhil

Quote from: lwillisjr on January 18, 2016, 03:17:16 PM
So is the FPP on the BBB just acting as a controller? I mean I want my P10 matrix to be just one element in my show. So I will still have a 'master' player on the network. So so you set the FPP on the BBB somehow in what I would call a pass thru mode? I just want it to pick up the DMX channel information off the network and then convert to the P10's.

I had two Signs as show elements, a 5x5 P10 matrix and a 3x1 P5 Matrix, both had a BBB running in slave mode with the sequences loaded on each BBB.
A Pi2 was used as the master, it output all normal E1.31 traffic with the BBB's driving the panels directly via the data in the FSEQ files.

Cheers

JonB256

Quote from: lwillisjr on January 18, 2016, 03:17:16 PM

You could set the BBB in "Bridge Mode" so that it becomes an E1.31 controller. A BBB/Octoscroller driving a P10 display will need many universes of incoming data. That is all possible, but you would not be able to do it via Wireless. It would need a CAT5 cable.

I have, for testing purposes, driven a 9 panel (3x3) P10 display in Bridge Mode, and it worked just fine. I even tried it with just wireless, which worked but skipped frames occasionally. If it had been larger, it would have been worse. As it is, a 9 panel P10 uses 27 DMX universes.

So, like AussiePhil, I went with the BBB running in Slave/Remote mode. Then you can keep them in Sync by Wireless without any problems.

lwillisjr

Both responses really helped. I was getting confused between the 2 modes. I was aware of the 3 universe per panel requirement. And it is clear that running a BBB in slave mode would greatly reduce the network traffic over using it in bridge and sending all the universe information continuously.

I just need to investigate a little further on how to have my 'master' controller trigger a sequence (FSEQ file) on the BBB. I assume you could have multiple messages (FSEQ) files loaded on the BBB and then trigger the appropriate one as needed?

I haven't built any of this yet but getting ready to place orders. I just like to have it all sorted a bit in my mind for the end result.

Thanks!

JonB256

Quote from: lwillisjr on January 19, 2016, 11:09:14 AM

I just need to investigate a little further on how to have my 'master' controller trigger a sequence (FSEQ file) on the BBB. I assume you could have multiple messages (FSEQ) files loaded on the BBB and then trigger the appropriate one as needed?

The "trigger" is purely by matching file names of the FSEQ files on the Master and Remote(s).  If the Master plays a specific FSEQ file, then any Remote with that same FSEQ file begins playing it in sync with the Master.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Think I found a bug/corner case...please help by breese
Today at 04:19:41 AM

Fpp 6.2 ui password by Mat-Moo
Today at 01:31:11 AM

Controller not keeping accurate time by jnealand
December 01, 2022, 09:38:16 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by Poporacer
December 01, 2022, 07:28:48 PM

BRP Voting Plugin - Allow others to vote for your songs! by Barkers Random Projects
December 01, 2022, 07:20:53 PM

All pixels group ON effect by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 06:48:00 PM

FPP 6.2 Playlist/FPP Command/Run Script vs. Playlist/Script by richardln2
December 01, 2022, 06:16:19 PM

Help--Can't Get Sequence to Output by Oxytousc
December 01, 2022, 05:07:12 PM

Set Time/Date by breese
December 01, 2022, 04:07:57 PM

Differential Receiver Board Ports w/ F48 corrupted data by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 02:58:25 PM