Members: 5
Guests: 43
Total: 48

vixenlights.com or vixenplus.com?

Started by rcowan, January 10, 2016, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcowan

Hello all,

First year pixel noob here. I've been playing around with the software from vixenlights.com. However, when I did a recent search for something I was looking to do I discovered vixenplus.com as well. I have seen the Vixen software mentioned several times which is why I decided to give it a try. So my question now is, am I playing around with the correct version? Are they a split of each other? Are they completely independent? When people talk about using Vixen sequencer which one are they (more than likely) referring to? My end goal is to use FPP so obviously whichever sequencer I choose it has to export to FPP. Lastly (this is going to open up a can of worms), is Vixen the better (I know, everyone's opinion is going to be different) of the (free) sequencers or should I be looking at something else?

I know I've got quite a few questions here and I appreciate any and all advice from you seasoned pixelers (is that a term?). I'm sure I'm going to have many more as I have decided to jump in with both feet and have ordered over 2600 pixels and 3 F16v2 controllers. I will basically be outlining my whole house, erecting a megatree, placing a couple of arches (the Johnson family kind) and a 4 x 42 net covering for each of my pillars. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew for my first year.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick Cowan

AussiePhil

Vixen and pixels in the same sentence usually means Vixen3 from Vixenlights.

I'm a huge fan of Vixen3 but even I swapped to xLights4 this year due to it's ability to handle much larger channel counts.

2600 pixels is less than 9,000 channels and well inside Vixen3's capability, my show this year was 80k channels and growing next year.

If you are looking at P10 panels or virtual matrix capability then swap to xLights4 now, your life will just be easier.

gadgetsmith

Just to add to the history.
Vixen plus was developed as a continuation of Vixen 2 when development stopped on Vixen 2.  These two versions are grid based style sequencers.  Vixen plus added the ability to handle pixels better, but development stopped last year, except for a few fixes/capabilities that the developer decided to release this year for the guys who still use this software.

Since you're looking like a pixel user who is going to want effects you can drop on a time line, I'd just follow Phil's advice.

rcowan

Thanks for the advice guys. I will download xLights and check it out. Luckily I haven't put in any major time in Vixen yet outside of adding a few elements and drawing a few strings.

It looks like xLights is by Nutcracker. So can I safely assume that anytime I've seen either xLights or Nutcracker mentioned that they are talking about the same thing?

Wow Phil! I'm just trying to organize power supplies and controllers for 9000 channels. 80k seems like a beast at this point. Although I'm sure it's like anything, after I get everything up and going this year and have a better understanding of how it all works then adding items in the future becomes a lot easier. I just need to take off the training wheels and go. At this point I've only ordered the items and most everything is pre-sale so I won't actually get to play with anything physical until March or so. I figured I'd at least try and get started with some sequences while I'm waiting.
Rick Cowan

toozie21

Quote from: rcowan on January 11, 2016, 09:00:17 AM
It looks like xLights is by Nutcracker. So can I safely assume that anytime I've seen either xLights or Nutcracker mentioned that they are talking about the same thing?
Yep. Nutcracker was started by Sean as an online sequencer.  Xlights was another guy's (last I heard LOR hired him to get their stuff up-to-snuff) scheduler software.  The XL guy rewrote Sean's stuff to make it faster and they combined both into a single application.  I am not sure that anything is getting done on the scheduler side of things for XL/NC (Sean is a BIG supporter of the Falcon software), but the sequencer is VERY actively being worked and enhanced.  So if you see XL, NC, or XL/NC, they are all the same thing these days.
~Jason
www.tooz.us

rcowan

Thanks for that Toozie. Since I plan on using FPP the scheduler isn't a huge concern.
Rick Cowan

AussiePhil

Quote from: rcowan on January 11, 2016, 09:00:17 AM
Wow Phil! I'm just trying to organize power supplies and controllers for 9000 channels. 80k seems like a beast at this point. Although I'm sure it's like anything, after I get everything up and going this year and have a better understanding of how it all works then adding items in the future becomes a lot easier. I just need to take off the training wheels and go. At this point I've only ordered the items and most everything is pre-sale so I won't actually get to play with anything physical until March or so. I figured I'd at least try and get started with some sequences while I'm waiting.

That 80k includes a 5x5 P10 matrix and a 3x1 P5 matrix, both of which eat channels, so the actual pixels was just under 6k roughly. video of the display here ->

I'm planning a 3rd Megatree this year and a new Matrix for the roof...... :) with P10's being so cheap some more of them.

rcowan

Nice! I love your mega trees. Thanks for sharing.
Rick Cowan

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

What am I doing wrong? FPP I’m ZCCP? by rudybuddy
Today at 09:01:26 AM

FPP Playlist by dkulp
Today at 07:14:42 AM

Setting up LOR to serial of F16v3 and configure in xLights by brmeadows
Today at 05:46:42 AM

FPP not releasing control to WLED when idle by Poporacer
December 06, 2022, 10:39:18 PM

1 player/2 remote by Poporacer