Total Topics: 15561
Most Online Today: 105
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 39
Total: 45

Glad I didn't cut up my pixel string (F4-B testing)

Started by JonB256, January 20, 2016, 06:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB256

I had a perimeter of Pixabulbs around my roof. Four strings connected to four SSCv3 controllers (running Falcon firmware, though).
With one week to go in the show, string #4 began to act up. It was 44 pixels long and would usually ignore commands after the 16th pixel.

I was tempted to get on the roof and replace pixels 15, 16 and 17 (just to be sure) but traffic was light and it was cold and .... it didn't happen.

Once I got the strings off of the roof, I wanted to test again and repair before putting them away. I had an F4-B handy, so programmed it with the same channel numbers and ran it through all the show sequences.  It will not fail.

Connect up the same SSCv3 and it does act up. Some times. I'm guessing that the controller may be failing (weak capacitor?)

So - moral of the story, I suppose, is that it may be the controller instead of the pixels. Next year I'll probably set it up differently, running the entire roof from a single F16v2. Just glad I didn't cut up an apparently good string of pixels.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user