Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 42
Total: 49

Multicast

Started by Aesl1982, January 21, 2016, 06:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbone321

Yes, that is exactly the point.  Normal usage can be significantly reduced when running the show on the home network using multicast.  This should not be an issue when using unicast unless your switch is a complete piece of garbage. 

Aesl1982

Quote from: tbone321 on January 21, 2016, 08:44:42 PM
Yes, that is exactly the point.  Normal usage can be significantly reduced when running the show on the home network using multicast.  This should not be an issue when using unicast unless your switch is a complete piece of garbage.
i have a seperate computer and got a network switch soley for the show. It's not connected to Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gadgetsmith

The point I was trying to make was that even in unicast mode, running your show on the home network will impact watching YouTube, Hulu, downloading files, etc, which is the biggest complaint. Multicast just makes the bad, that much worse.

This is why it is recommended to have a separate network for the show, regardless if your a multicast or unicast user.

smeighan

My fpp js connected to my home network of 20 devices. I had a 45k channel show. Falcon f16v2 set to static 10.0.0.20. Comcast modem is 10.0.0.1 . My shows ran 5pm-10pm daily. We watched streaming movies on amazon, no issues.  I do have a nice Comcast connection 85mbs download, 11mbs upload speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

tbone321

Quote from: gadgetsmith on January 22, 2016, 06:47:40 AM
The point I was trying to make was that even in unicast mode, running your show on the home network will impact watching YouTube, Hulu, downloading files, etc, which is the biggest complaint. Multicast just makes the bad, that much worse.

This is why it is recommended to have a separate network for the show, regardless if your a multicast or unicast user.

That really depends on the physical layout of your network.  A switch isolates its ports so unless your physical layout is using one or more of the same connections for both the show as well as non show network use, there should be no noticeable impact at all.  There are other reasons to keep your show on its own network with the primary one being security.  Unless you are using a rather expensive managed switch with its security options enabled, you are basically putting unsecured physical connections to your whole home network out in the yard for anyone with an Ethernet capable device to hook right up, especially at late night or in the morning when the show is not running.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

FPP 6.2 Video Issue by ppanelli3
Today at 12:04:54 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by rbarry1068
Today at 11:18:38 AM

Sequence freeze by Poporacer
Today at 11:04:54 AM

Beagle Bone Black for sale by ppanelli3
Today at 10:40:18 AM

Port 11 not working by rossg10
Today at 09:57:03 AM