Members: 5
Guests: 61
Total: 66

Differntial Board Expansion Board :)

Started by Wolfie, July 17, 2016, 04:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie

David,

Remember the guy that wanted to distro to 4 different points we were having a conversation at the Expo with?

I had an idea for a board I think is right up your alley if it doesn't exist already.

Sell the guy your differential expansion board.  That has 4 rj45's right?  Each carrying 4 channels.  Each cat 5 has 4 pair, 1 pair for each channel, right?

You have a receiver board that accepts that cat5 and breaks down the 4 back into ttl level pixel signals right?  Unfortunately he needs to go four places and now needs something to extend the distance from the 4 port receiver.

Here is my thought... An rj45 breakout board.  No real electroncis, no power needed.  just 2 4pin greenies and a rj45 socket.  Small and compact.  Fairly cheap to make and sell (hopefully you will do it!).

So, he plugs in a cat 5 into one port of your differential board.  Strips back the other end and connects each of the pairs to 4 greenies and plugs them into four of those new boards.  He could then even bring over some power into the remaining 6 pins on that board and combine power and a differential signal.  Then he has a nice bundled cat 5 port ready to go out to his display element.

Then we need a single port receiver board.  You could make one.  Or he could leverage one of the Max485 prebuilt boards or designs.

With the breakout board described, we could choose what signals to stuff into a cat 5 very cleanly and easily  The board would be universal to the extent its not just for use with your differential board.  It could be used to combine multiple outputs from the Falcon into a single cat5 and demux them at the other end.  It could be used for injecting power into unused cat5 pairs.  By using the greenies, it becomes immediately familiar.  Each 4p greenie feeds two pair of cat5 lines so you could send a differential signal and gnd and vcc in each.  Easy peasy.

Is there such a board already that I don't know of?  And if not, you willing to whip up a design and kick one out into your store?

dale

I would like to have a break out board that has just 2 RJ-45 plugs on it and a power plug it could be run from the Expansion Board or you could make a different kind of Expansion stipe the has them all in a line instead of 4 do 8 many people have single point things like wireframes or single windows or trees that are not close together that I don't want to buy a Receiver Board just to get over to it but just a small $5 board would be great

Dale

algerdes

I'm not sure if that guy lives at my house or not, but I was asking for it ...

The breakout board is a definite good idea.  To be able to send a single output using RS485 (for long transmissions) to any point in the display would be wonderful.  A receiver with a single channel input would really do the trick.

I have 8 locations along a 150 foot long stretch that I am having to send signals to.  The points are a bit past what a normal SPI signal can do from the current receivers location (placed as close to center that I can, running lines in both directions).  It would be wonderful to just run one to each location (along with a power feed) and cut out the long SPI line.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

show locks me out of falcon player by breese
Today at 04:11:38 AM

F48 with Daisy Chained Smart Receivers by Starry
Today at 03:18:05 AM

Unable to get DHCP after FPP install by Jlwright325
November 27, 2022, 11:31:30 PM

What is the second best way to get rid of pixel gap errors? by k6ccc
November 27, 2022, 10:32:34 PM

FPP connect by LedMutt
November 27, 2022, 09:29:34 PM