Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 59
Total: 67

How about a better DMX tester

Started by Nightowlz1966, May 17, 2013, 11:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightowlz1966

I bought a DMX tester from Ray Wu last year but not really happy with it.
I would like to see one like Mr Christmas has or maybe even something a
little better.
Wish List

• Be able to turn all on within a range
  • Be able to turn on every 2nd or 3rd or 4th channels within a range (better to test rgb's with )
  • placeholder for more ideas  ;D
Brian Flanders
Sharpsburg Ga. http://christmasonthecreek.com http://www.facebook.com/ChristmasOnTheCreek I Thought I Had More Extension Cords

TexasStingray

I know this is an old thread but how about a device that you could plug into you dmx or even pixelnet device that you could use a smart phone / tablet over bluetooth to communicate with and allow you to do that?

Question would be how much would you be willing to spend for a diy device you build to do something like that?

CaptainMurdoch

One of the things on my FPP TODO list is to create a test screen to allow toggling channels on/off for testing.  I already can toggle them via the command line on my development system. This means that once i create the user interface you'll be able to test any output method that FPP supports using your cell phone, laptop, etc..

-
Chris

David Pitts

Quote from: TexasStingray on March 07, 2014, 05:43:29 PM
I know this is an old thread but how about a device that you could plug into you dmx or even pixelnet device that you could use a smart phone / tablet over bluetooth to communicate with and allow you to do that?

Question would be how much would you be willing to spend for a diy device you build to do something like that?

For those that do not use the Falcon Pi, this seems interesting. You would pair it with your phone and anytime you get close enough you could control tester with bluetooth? I would think $40.00 or less would be a good target. 
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

arw01

There is a fellow on my Universal Devices forum that knows quite a bit about bluetooth on the pi and the ones that do and do not work.  He uses it with his phones to tell if he is home and have his alarm system arm and dis-arm, unlock the front door when he walks up etc..

You can add bluetooth to the pi for well under $10.00.

David Pitts

Nice. That is good to know, maybe there is a PI bluetooth project in our future. If I am following TexasStingRay's idea it would be a portable testing device used to test Pixelnet/DMX networks.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

TexasStingray

Right, I already have a device that I could add a bluetooth module to and develop new firmware for. Then all I'd have to do id create the User Interface.

TexasStingray

Ok, Looking for some feedback on what capability you are looking for for a PixelNet Signal Transmitter/Tester. Here is what I have working for PixelNet Testing only on the firmware testing with BlueTooth connection. I have not created the UI yet so Im just sending the codes over from my Android Phone.

1. Set Red, Green, & Blue Intensity values. 0 - 255 for each of the 3 colors
2. Set Start Channel
3. Set End Channel
4. Set Mode (P for Pixel, D for DMX)

Any feedback would be great.
Just in case anyone was wondering the Device that I am using is my Panther DMX Player V2 with a BlueTooth Module and new Firmware. Having exposed the extra pins out via the Reserved header pin was a good move.

Scott

arw01

Well maybe I should assemble mine  :)

When I do testing, I use the alternating rgb in nutcracker a lot, and some speed adjustments.  The second ones I really use each time is alternating and 3/5/ etc chasses.  I like to change the color, but not necessary.  I use it to count nodes on strings etc.  Again speed important there.

Ability to store channel ranges by a name are great, add devices by the channel range etc.  e.g. so I could have roofline as a test object.  or arches 1-4 etc.

Alan

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

FPP Settings dropdowns not populating by jacksonho
Today at 03:20:26 PM

USB Wifi Adapter by jem5136
Today at 02:15:45 PM

FPP 6.x Matrix Issues by cmndr brain
Today at 01:41:55 PM

String ports question by Santacarl
Today at 12:42:38 PM

new piCaps in the works? by Bwinter