Total Topics: 15590
Most Online Today: 98
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 44
Total: 49

F16V2 receiver and differential board question.

Started by abhijitz, November 09, 2016, 05:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhijitz

I have been experimenting with RGB lights for a while and using cheap controllers and wanting to move to a proper spine & leaf type setup. Came across the Falcon setup and looks like this will indeed save a lot of cabling for me.

Questions i have are :

1. The differential board is only supposed to work in tandem with receiver board? I mean, i cant hang 4 strings off the differential board (I believe, which is what the old setup was with an expansion board).
2. I assume the Cat5 interconnect between the differential baord and the receiver board is only supposed to carry Data,Clock and Ground? Can a Cat6 POE cable be used? (I have a bunch of leftover after my PoE camera installation).
3. What is the recommended power supply (in terms of amps) that i can connect to each differential expansion board and to the main controller board. (as i assume the main controller board can only be 50W)?
4. From the differential expansion board to the 4 strings (and, i assume we are talking of WS2811 30/10 16ft strings) what would be the maximum supported length of the pigtail. {As an example, lets say i use 1 differential expansion board for garage overhead which will have 4 strings, If i need to connect each string to the board, the board need to be strategically placed in the middle, but i still need to account for the distance from the port to the string input?}

I may not go big this year (only 4 windows and 1 garage overhead), but this setup does look to me very modular and i could expand it next year to house outline and pixel tree. Appreciate your feedback.

PeteyHall

1. The differential board is only supposed to work in tandem with receiver board? I mean, i cant hang 4 strings off the differential board (I believe, which is what the old setup was with an expansion board).
Correct, the differential board needs to connect to the f16v2 via a 50 pin cable.

2. I assume the Cat5 interconnect between the differential baord and the receiver board is only supposed to carry Data,Clock and Ground? Can a Cat6 POE cable be used? (I have a bunch of leftover after my PoE camera installation).
Just standard cat5 cable like wiring a computer to a switch.

3. What is the recommended power supply (in terms of amps) that i can connect to each differential expansion board and to the main controller board. (as i assume the main controller board can only be 50W)?
All depends on what you're trying to power.  You will need to calculate your power draw and then determine what/how many PSU's you'll need.

4. From the differential expansion board to the 4 strings (and, i assume we are talking of WS2811 30/10 16ft strings) what would be the maximum supported length of the pigtail. {As an example, lets say i use 1 differential expansion board for garage overhead which will have 4 strings, If i need to connect each string to the board, the board need to be strategically placed in the middle, but i still need to account for the distance from the port to the string input?}I
You'll need a receiver board via cat5e/6 cable to get the 4 ports at the remote end.  The length of the pigtail will depend on what you're putting out there.  Some may be as small as 5 feet where some may be 20-30' (or more).

abhijitz

Thanks Petey for your answers. I am just curious what is the real world number from the receiver board to the strip. Because, going to a "spine & leaf" kind of setup like this is beneficiary but tat the same time i dont want to loose signal strength because now i have a pretty long pigtail. (Wherein in a regular controller i would have needed to repeat the data signal via a null)

arw01

I am waiting for my differential boards to show up, but off the F16V2 I've driven 40' with cat 5e solder up with 3 for power, 3 for ground and the other orange and orange white as a single wire, so it makes it a 3 wire basically,  and nearly that with alarm 4 conductor wire.

Looking at changing my dozen mini trees and stars from old Zues equipment over to a single differential receiver with some power injection.  3 will run the trees and the 4th will run my arches, or if I don't rebuild my arches with pigtails out the end, will use a second receiver board and run the 4th output from the 4th to some large bulbs I am dropping frosted domes into.

The came out with the really big bulbs AFTER I bought all the stuff to convert the old style really big bulbs.. :P

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Think I found a bug/corner case...please help by breese
Today at 06:39:36 AM

Fpp 6.2 ui password by Mat-Moo
Today at 01:31:11 AM

Controller not keeping accurate time by jnealand
December 01, 2022, 09:38:16 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by Poporacer
December 01, 2022, 07:28:48 PM

BRP Voting Plugin - Allow others to vote for your songs! by Barkers Random Projects
December 01, 2022, 07:20:53 PM

All pixels group ON effect by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 06:48:00 PM

FPP 6.2 Playlist/FPP Command/Run Script vs. Playlist/Script by richardln2
December 01, 2022, 06:16:19 PM

Help--Can't Get Sequence to Output by Oxytousc
December 01, 2022, 05:07:12 PM

Set Time/Date by breese
December 01, 2022, 04:07:57 PM

Differential Receiver Board Ports w/ F48 corrupted data by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 02:58:25 PM