Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 59
Total: 62

Expansion board or new F16?

Started by sawyerbrownlive, November 20, 2016, 06:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawyerbrownlive

I am in the beginning of year one with my first F16v2. It was easier than expected to set up and to run. I loved it. It is powering a 12 string pixel tree with 12 V pixels and a couple of straight runs along the driveway.  Next year I'm looking to add some mini pixel trees and possibly some arches on the opposite side of the driveway, approximately 50 feet from the falcon.  So I'm wondering as the title implies if I should buy an expansion board and keep it 50 feet away from the beginning of the rest of my yard. Or if I should purchase a new F 16.  I'm totally unfamiliar with power injection, but I would learn it. I'm unfamiliar with how an expansion board works, I will learn it.  If I do buy an expansion board, do I need to do anything to get my computer to see it or does it automatically see it?

ChristmasBug

What I did was bought the Expansion board, this will allow me to have 4 different setup in my yard over 100 feet from my main controller. I am not sure how it will all work because this is my first year with pixels. As for the power injecting I have read that each port on the controller with be able to handle 100 pixel with out power injecting.

I hope this help.
Raspberry pi - 1 Main
1 x F16V2-R Pixel Controller

sawyerbrownlive

I would run no more than 100 pixels per port, but probably only 50.  My distances would be around 100' from the main controller.  So is there concern with power loss from the main controller to 50 pixels off each port 100' away?  And what is the answer regarding the setup of the expansion board?  Once it's connected with the ribbon, does my PC immediately recognize it?

jnealand

If you are going over a driveway, I would buy another F16v2, but wait awhile to see if another updated version might surface before next season.  I put a Pi with each v2 and use the Pi's in a master slave relationship.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

jnealand

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

sawyerbrownlive

Good info, thank you.  Yes I currently have my only F16 on the opposite side of the driveway from my yard.  So I need something in my yard side of the driveway to drive the rest of my display.  I will definitely be waiting until pre-sales as I'm in no rush to have a second controller right now.  If I go the route of another F16v2 or F16v3, will I be able to daisy chain them together like I do my current LOR controllers?

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Think I found a bug/corner case...please help by breese
Today at 04:19:41 AM

Fpp 6.2 ui password by Mat-Moo
Today at 01:31:11 AM

Controller not keeping accurate time by jnealand
December 01, 2022, 09:38:16 PM

Raspberry PI 4 won't connect to WIFI by Poporacer
December 01, 2022, 07:28:48 PM

BRP Voting Plugin - Allow others to vote for your songs! by Barkers Random Projects
December 01, 2022, 07:20:53 PM

All pixels group ON effect by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 06:48:00 PM

FPP 6.2 Playlist/FPP Command/Run Script vs. Playlist/Script by richardln2
December 01, 2022, 06:16:19 PM

Help--Can't Get Sequence to Output by Oxytousc
December 01, 2022, 05:07:12 PM

Set Time/Date by breese
December 01, 2022, 04:07:57 PM

Differential Receiver Board Ports w/ F48 corrupted data by tkelba
December 01, 2022, 02:58:25 PM