News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15464
Latest: BroJam22
New This Month: 87
New This Week: 4
New Today: 4
Stats
Total Posts: 126805
Total Topics: 15541
Most Online Today: 107
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 70
Total: 78

F16v3 to LOR Quit working

Started by jimmyc4511, October 04, 2017, 11:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryPlak

Great question David ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jerry Plak

HeyRay2

Quote from: David Pitts on September 16, 2018, 05:07:56 AM
At any time did you ever plug the LOR controller into port #1? If so, it could quite possibly be the chip. LOR controllers have 10V power on pin 3. If you plug a LOR controller into port #1 on the Falcon it would damage serial port #2 and most likely if left connected for a extended period of time the complete RS-485 chip.

I don't recall ever having anything plugged into Port 1. I mirrored my jumper and serial config from my F16v2 when I upgraded this season to a v3. I always used Port 2 on my v2 and planned to do so on my v3 but haven't had Port 2 work ever since I've tried to connect my LOR to it.

JonB256

Quote from: HeyRay2 on September 16, 2018, 11:47:49 AM
Quote from: David Pitts on September 16, 2018, 05:07:56 AM
At any time did you ever plug the LOR controller into port #1? If so, it could quite possibly be the chip. LOR controllers have 10V power on pin 3. If you plug a LOR controller into port #1 on the Falcon it would damage serial port #2 and most likely if left connected for a extended period of time the complete RS-485 chip.

I don't recall ever having anything plugged into Port 1. I mirrored my jumper and serial config from my F16v2 when I upgraded this season to a v3. I always used Port 2 on my v2 and planned to do so on my v3 but haven't had Port 2 work ever since I've tried to connect my LOR to it.

That odd voltage that LOR controllers have can be a problem. Did you perhaps plug the LOR controller into Port 2 while it was still jumpered for DMX?
The easiest test to see if the RS-485 chip has been damaged is to swap the chips between Ports 2 and 3 to see if the problem moves.

The most common CAT5 wiring pattern is T-568B where the White/Green wire is on Pin #3. That is the 10vdc line from the controller.
If you make your own cables, you could cut or leave out that wire and you won't have that problem again.
For T-568B cabling, the "green" pair of wires are never used for data by LOR or DMX or Renard.
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

David Pitts

It is a single chip that drives all 4 serial ports. If you have a differential expansion board you could use one of those chips to see if it solves the problem than I could send out another.

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

HeyRay2

Quote from: David Pitts on September 16, 2018, 03:33:18 PM
It is a single chip that drives all 4 serial ports. If you have a differential expansion board you could use one of those chips to see if it solves the problem than I could send out another.

I don't have a differential board, but I do have functioning ports on my v2. Does it use the same chip as the v3? If so, I could just swap that one in for the time being and then maybe buy a new chip from you in the meantime.

Port 3 works fine for now, so I can even wait until after the holidays to work to get this fixed.

David Pitts

Hi They use same chip. Let me know if that fixes the issue. We can send you a chip if so.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

friskybri

Is this a standard chip that I can just buy from anwhere.  I see I fried mine lol.   Dumb tired move last night. 

JonB256

Quote from: friskybri on October 01, 2018, 01:06:42 PM
Is this a standard chip that I can just buy from anwhere.  I see I fried mine lol.   Dumb tired move last night.

AM26C31IN

Digikey, Mouser, even Ebay.   $1.44
Long time Falcon, FPP and xLights user

HeyRay2

The chip on my V2 is SN75174N, which appears to basically be the same thing, just more expensive:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SN75174N/296-1735-5-ND/277381

I'm assuming it is still interchangeable with the AM26C31IN?

Are there any differences I should be aware of?

HeyRay2

Quote from: JonB256 on October 01, 2018, 01:19:00 PM

AM26C31IN

Arrow has them for $1.14 each, with free overnight shipping:

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/am26c31in/texas-instruments

HeyRay2

Quote from: HeyRay2 on November 17, 2018, 01:27:54 PM
Quote from: JonB256 on October 01, 2018, 01:19:00 PM

AM26C31IN

Arrow has them for $1.14 each, with free overnight shipping:

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/am26c31in/texas-instruments

I ordered a handful from Arrow ( just in case =) ). They arrived earlier this week and I finally got a chance to replace the chip on my v3 today.

Removal / install was easy using the IC tool from my old Belkin computer toolkit:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8E060-10-Piece-Computer-Tool/dp/B00004Z5VS

All serial ports are working properly now, so I'm guessing I probably damaged the original chip at some point when plugging things in to test.

Thanks all!