Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 64
Total: 71

What Pi's can the SD and USB swapped between

Started by AAH, December 06, 2017, 06:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAH

I have some Pi 2's and Pi 3's here and I was just wondering what would maintain compability for swapping the 2 media devices between with FPP 1.9. I'm hoping that the 1 SD image could be rapid swapped between all of the 2 and 3 varieties but I've never tried it.

Thanks in advance.

CaptainMurdoch

The SD image is compatible with all Pi models, it includes both the kernel for the older original Pi's and the newer quad-core versions and the Zero, etc..  You should be able to switch the image into any Pi and have it work.
-
Chris

jchuchla

I just wanted to chime in to make sure I understand the reply.  Chris, are you saying that an SD card that has the image installed and is running FPP in one pi can then be removed and put into any other pi? 

I always knew the installation image would work on any pi, but I didn't know you can move it back and forth between models after it's been set up and running.

CaptainMurdoch

Yes, you can move an installed image between Pi's.  Our next SD image for the Pi won't even have an installer, we will distribute the preinstallled image to save users time.  The BBB images don't use an installer unless you want to install to the eMMC.
-
Chris

jchuchla

That's good to know. Learn something new every day.  I guess i'm too ingrained in windows thinking that the installed OS is married to the hardware it's installed on. 

So is it possible to duplicate the installed SD card with all current tweaks and partitions and such?  (for backup purposes) How would one go about doing that?

jnealand

Two ways
1. Use win32imager to create an image file and then use the same program to burn it back to a new SD
2. Just install another copy.  I think this is far simpler and the steps are all well known.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

jchuchla

1) as soon as I place an SD card that's seen an FPP installation into a windows machine, it locks up the windows virtual disk service hard.  It doesn't make much sense to me why, but it's been rather consistent here even across multiple machines.  After putting the sd card into the reader, there's no browsing drives, accessing drives, diskpart, diskmgmt.msc, etc... until the machine is force rebooted.  So I don't think windows is a viable option for copying a FPP image SD.  At least not on any of the machines I have.
Have you tried this?  Does it work for you?

2) The reason for duplicating is it to preserve all of the edits on the running image.  The version I'm running live right now is quite a bit different than what you'd get from a clean installation.  And I'd be hard pressed to remember all of my steps so I could retrace them.

rmp2917

I do not have any issues with reading the SD card in Windows. Windows cannot read the Linux EXT partitions and will complain they are not formatted, but it can still read the Fat32 partition. I have successfully used Win32DiskImager to create and write SD card images from Windows 10.

If you create a Linux Debian Live boot disk on a CD or USB flash drive, you can also temporarily boot to Linux and create an image in Linux.

The image will be fairly large so make sure you have plenty of disk space.

jchuchla

The image can't be that big, the SD card isn't all that big.  I guess that's subjective though.

Any reason it can't be done on the pi itself?

LightsBySB

So with it being "swap-able" between PI hardware, i just want to check and insure it's me who has something messed up where i can not get FPP to work on a PI Zero W after executing rpi-update????

CaptainMurdoch

If you run rpi-update, you are on your own.  :) I am referring to the FPP SD image.  The only thing it might not work on is new hardware created after the SD image was created because the new hardware normally requires new firmware and kernel.
-
Chris

rmp2917

Quote from: jchuchla on December 07, 2017, 10:07:14 AM
The image can't be that big, the SD card isn't all that big.  I guess that's subjective though.

The size depends on the method used, but win32DiskImager does not compress the image so if you have a 32GB SD card, the image is 32GB.

There may be a way to do it on the Pi but it is generally more difficult to image an SD card that is being used by the OS.

LightsBySB

Quote from: rmp2917 on December 08, 2017, 05:15:48 AM
Quote from: jchuchla on December 07, 2017, 10:07:14 AM

The size depends on the method used, but win32DiskImager does not compress the image so if you have a 32GB SD card, the image is 32GB.

There may be a way to do it on the Pi but it is generally more difficult to image an SD card that is being used by the OS.
Thanks Captain, it appears that the new board requires the fw to get the on-board wireless working. figured I'd give it a shot and see.
i'll keep messing with it till i get to the point i need it for my display.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

What is the second best way to get rid of pixel gap errors? by JonD
Today at 10:35:44 AM

1st attempt success by ctmal
Today at 10:13:02 AM

show locks me out of falcon player by breese
Today at 10:08:21 AM

MultiSync copying of Show Files not working in FPP 6.1.1 by dkulp
Today at 12:12:07 AM

running event date from within xlights sequence. by Poporacer
November 26, 2022, 11:26:24 PM