News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.3 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.3

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
 
 
 
Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15659
Latest: PaulDzRGB
New This Month: 9
New This Week: 3
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 128431
Total Topics: 15791
Most Online Today: 37
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 30
Total: 31

individual Snowflakes, Stars and Candycanes

Started by sklankowski, June 08, 2018, 09:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

sklankowski

Creating various Snowflakes, Stars, and Candycanes with RGB.  Looking for an enclosure tha would be best to mount a RaspberryPi and a 4amp 12V Laptop Power Supply. smaller the better. 

Emuney18

Cg500
small bud box
6"x4" junction box
Tupperware


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnealand

I use marine battery boxes.  Here is an F16v2 and Pi with two power supplies underneath.


Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

rjhodgefamily

Hey Jim,


How water tight are the Marine Battery Boxes. They definitely are more affordable then the CG1500 cases I am using now. Plan on making a bunch to house an ESPixelStick and a power supply to run some of our display items in the cul-de-sac. You don't happen to have a picture of one of them with the lid on and the pigtails sticking out do you?


Your other post on mounting with all the photos certainly helped. (http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4789.15.html) Just missing the final piece on how the whole thing closes with the pigtails before I get a few of them.


Thanks,
Richard
Welcome to my insanity:
25 Lynx Expresses, 30 PiCaps, 32 Raspberry Pis. Running 36 sequences and about 300,000 lights across 12 houses.

k6ccc

Make sure to check the cover of the battery boxes.  A lot of them have a small vent or two on the top (generally looks like a tiny drain grate molded into the plastic).  The marine boxes usually don't, but make sure to look for it before buying!
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

Todd

Quote from: rjhodgefamily on June 11, 2018, 02:23:51 PM
Hey Jim,


How water tight are the Marine Battery Boxes. They definitely are more affordable then the CG1500 cases I am using now. Plan on making a bunch to house an ESPixelStick and a power supply to run some of our display items in the cul-de-sac. You don't happen to have a picture of one of them with the lid on and the pigtails sticking out do you?


Your other post on mounting with all the photos certainly helped. (http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4789.15.html) Just missing the final piece on how the whole thing closes with the pigtails before I get a few of them.



Thanks,
Richard

CG1500's are just slightly more than battery boxes. I get CG1500's from DF Countryman for $12.00 and CG500's for $8.50.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3,F48, Kulp 32A-B, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

rjhodgefamily

The problem with the CG1500 is shipping. To get 15 or so CG1500s is like $150 on shipping and tax bringing the cost to around $20. Where I can get the battery box for about $9 on amazon shipped free, and walk in to my local Walmart or Academy and pick them up for $9+tax. And while I love the CG1500s for their versatility, the battery boxes when making a bunch of them seem much cheaper even if they do involve a little more work to get ready.


Now I could just drive the 90 minutes to and from dfcountryman but finding the time to do that when they are open is just as hard, not to mention if they have it in stock in the quantity I want. And I don't think the CG500 can hold a 350 watt power supply but I may be mistaken. And I realize the original poster was asking about housing a 4 amp (48w) power supply. I figured I would try and get as much information on the battery boxes so I can figure stuff out this summer while I do have some time.


Sorry if this came out harsher then I intended.


Thanks,
Richard
Welcome to my insanity:
25 Lynx Expresses, 30 PiCaps, 32 Raspberry Pis. Running 36 sequences and about 300,000 lights across 12 houses.

jnealand

I have been using battery boxes for over 5 years.  I've only had a small amount of water get in a couple of times when the wind was really blowing hard.  I keep my power supplies at least an inch off the bottom just in case but never got more than a little in one end (the ground was slanted).  I seal the vents on top by covering them inside and out using a hot stick glue gun.  The one thing I have changed is to use longer pigtails as the shorter ones would jam up around the 4 openings that let cables out.  I have had pigtails for all 16 ouputs of an F16 plus a 12ga power cord going in with no issues what so ever.  I have no pictures of one with cables coming out, but I could dig one out of storage and take a picture if you need it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

k6ccc

Quote from: jnealand on June 12, 2018, 10:20:43 AM
I have been using battery boxes for over 5 years.  I've only had a small amount of water get in a couple of times when the wind was really blowing hard.  I keep my power supplies at least an inch off the bottom just in case but never got more than a little in one end (the ground was slanted).

Suggestion.  Drill a small weep hole in one corner of the bottom and intentionally slope the box towards that corner.  That way any moisture that gets in will sweep out.  If bugs are a problem cover the weep hole with screen or cloth.  Yes, you would still want to keep the power supply raised up as you already do.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

rjhodgefamily

Just picked up a couple of these at Academy for $7 Attwood Series 24 Battery Box. Now that I see the lid it makes perfect sense on how the pigtails come out of the box.
Welcome to my insanity:
25 Lynx Expresses, 30 PiCaps, 32 Raspberry Pis. Running 36 sequences and about 300,000 lights across 12 houses.

Todd

Quote from: rjhodgefamily on June 12, 2018, 07:43:42 AM
The problem with the CG1500 is shipping. To get 15 or so CG1500s is like $150 on shipping and tax bringing the cost to around $20. Where I can get the battery box for about $9 on amazon shipped free, and walk in to my local Walmart or Academy and pick them up for $9+tax. And while I love the CG1500s for their versatility, the battery boxes when making a bunch of them seem much cheaper even if they do involve a little more work to get ready.


Now I could just drive the 90 minutes to and from dfcountryman but finding the time to do that when they are open is just as hard, not to mention if they have it in stock in the quantity I want. And I don't think the CG500 can hold a 350 watt power supply but I may be mistaken. And I realize the original poster was asking about housing a 4 amp (48w) power supply. I figured I would try and get as much information on the battery boxes so I can figure stuff out this summer while I do have some time.


Sorry if this came out harsher then I intended.


Thanks,
Richard
You are correct a CG500 will not hold a 350 watt power supply. Maybe it's where I live, but I have ordered from them with minimal shipping charges.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3,F48, Kulp 32A-B, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

rjhodgefamily

Yeah I think it is just the number I wanted. If I order 2 or 3 the shipping isn't bad but if I increase to say the 19 I ideally need then shipping goes crazy. Probably because of the giant box. If the battery boxes don't work as we want I'll just drive down to San Antonio to pick them up.
Welcome to my insanity:
25 Lynx Expresses, 30 PiCaps, 32 Raspberry Pis. Running 36 sequences and about 300,000 lights across 12 houses.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Warning/Error: Network incomplete frames hit 250. by JonD
February 06, 2023, 04:10:22 PM

F16V3 with 2 expansion boards at 40 fps MAX PIXELS per output? by tbone321
February 06, 2023, 10:51:55 AM

F48V4-NS at 40 fps using all 48 pixel output ports? by Poporacer
February 06, 2023, 10:27:09 AM

Unable to update RPi 5.5 to latest version by JonB256
February 05, 2023, 07:23:16 PM

help getting started, next step? by rayster
February 05, 2023, 04:24:09 PM

F48v4NS - Pi or No Pi? by joeyblasko
February 05, 2023, 09:15:33 AM

Huidu Controllers LED matrix by CaptainMurdoch
February 04, 2023, 10:18:47 AM

FPP6.2 universes by darylc
February 03, 2023, 08:48:57 PM

F16v4 Ports vs Universe Configuration Question by k6ccc
February 03, 2023, 09:32:48 AM

Need Expert Advise on F16v4 Ports vs Universe Configuration by Kairus
February 03, 2023, 09:32:33 AM

Powered by EzPortal
Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod