News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15526
Latest: stooge
New This Month: 34
New This Week: 22
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 127394
Total Topics: 15639
Most Online Today: 111
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 79
Total: 85

Falcon smart remote "B" has limited pixels per port

Started by mcnugget, November 14, 2021, 08:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcnugget

AAAAAh, I swear I just had this working. Can someone pleas help me to track this down?

I thought i had my falcon F16v3 chained up properly to my 2 chained falcon smart remotes, but it's possible i only tested with 50ct strings on each port. Anywho, i now have started hanging up physical props a few at a time, and found that my second (B) smart remote on the chain is limiting all strings (tried multiple strings of lights) to the count scheduled for the first port on that smart remote. Smart remote "A" is working great and sending all the necessary pixels. When i use the B remote to test the lights via the Test button on the remote, the full counts works (100+), but when FPP (sequence or test page) sends anything all B ports stop at 59 lights. I have added some config screenshots below, but can't thing of any other place to look for limitation. I felt like i was sooo close to making this Dec ready time, but this one is killing me.

B has setting set to terminate as i am only using 2 smart boards, A configured to A via dip switches and B to B.

I feel like the first time i had trouble getting a smart remote running my issue was not having a physical string on the first port., however i feel I've tried to populate all the initial ports several times. is there any trick or tips someone can point me to? I'm definitely at my wits end.

Cory

EDIT*******

Both boards A and B limit each channel on the smart board to the number of pixels designated for the first channel on the smart remote board. Unfortunately when i checked the first time, my A had 97 pixels, so when i checked lower counts on that board, they worked, however, Board A is limited to  97 pixels on all subsequent ports.  While i don't feel it should be necessary, i an contemplating just ordering them by QTY...

Forgive me, i did cross post at doityourself... let me know if this is too much out there.

tbone321

The first thing that I noticed is that you have it configured for main board only.  I don't have one of these controllers but that doesn't look right.

JonD

Quote from: mcnugget on November 14, 2021, 08:53:05 PMfull counts works (100+), but when FPP (sequence or test page) sends anything all B ports stop at 59 lights.

I am assuming the last pixel in the string is always showing RED?   This is a known problem.  Just add one node to the count of your light strings.  If you have 50 nodes in your string, tell the Falcon that you have 51 and that should fix it.  David is aware of the issue.  I configure Falcons manually and adding the extra pixel fixes it every time.

If you are allowing xlights to make all the controller changes, I am not sure how xlights handles this.  If adding the extra pixel on the Falcon does not resolve, you might need to add an extra light in xlights as well.

mcnugget

Quote from: tbone321 on November 14, 2021, 09:49:58 PMThe first thing that I noticed is that you have it configured for main board only.  I don't have one of these controllers but that doesn't look right.
Hi tbone, the way i read the manual, the "expansion boards" only apply to the diff boards and not the smart receivers. it seems to function the same either way? i have anecdotal youtube research that also told me this, but i tend not to believe many of these as gospel.

mcnugget

Quote from: JonD on November 15, 2021, 04:34:11 AM
Quote from: mcnugget on November 14, 2021, 08:53:05 PMfull counts works (100+), but when FPP (sequence or test page) sends anything all B ports stop at 59 lights.

I am assuming the last pixel in the string is always showing RED?  This is a known problem.  Just add one node to the count of your light strings.  If you have 50 nodes in your string, tell the Falcon that you have 51 and that should fix it.  David is aware of the issue.  I configure Falcons manually and adding the extra pixel fixes it every time.

If you are allowing xlights to make all the controller changes, I am not sure how xlights handles this.  If adding the extra pixel on the Falcon does not resolve, you might need to add an extra light in xlights as well.
I'm going to give this a shot. I did try last night to re order them in the visualizer based on count for the two smart boards, and this got me a work around for testing (everything worked this way), but it doesn't seem like it should be necessary.

(BTS, last pixel was not red, just regular command color)

Thanks

JonD

Quote from: mcnugget on November 15, 2021, 07:47:11 AM(BTS, last pixel was not red, just regular command color)
Sounds like you are allowing xlights to configure the controller which is fine.  I can repeat this issue over and over on my display.  Usually remote A is fine.  Only an issue with remote B and only if remote A is a 1.3 board.  When the Falcon is manually configured and the ports on remote B are set at the correct amount of pixels, the very last light in the string is red.

Guessing by adding an extra light to the strings attached to the remote B in xlights will repair.  Worse case configuring the Falcon manually might be an option if you are desperate.  If you are attaching more than one string of lights to the same port, only add the extra node to the very last string.  I did get the feeling from David that it was on a list to get fixed, but since there was a workaround it was not a high priority.

mcnugget

Thanks, it makes me feel better that I don't have bad hardware or have some ghost in the machine. I'm thinking for this year, since the decending qty solves the problem for me, I may wait till next year to see if this is fixed in a patch. 

This tip is much appreciated.

mcnugget

Ok, I have found that I have a more systemic problem.  I tested all these channels with test streams and some basic whole house sequences, however,  not only are each channel per smart remote limited to the first channel per card, but the card are just putting out the same content on every channel.

If I have 4 props, one each connected to each of the 4 smart ports, the only output command that seems to work via fpp test or sequence is now the first port, and all 4 ports mimic the first port.

Any ideas on where to start with this one?

#####Found my probelm.....

I did not find any good direction on the serial output page for the f16, and wound up resorting to YouTube for this tab. The instruction I found was generally to set all 4 serial outs to #1, because of the way the string ports tab queues off of the plus button on the 1 of the 4 ports in each group. After I set the serial port tab to 1,234, all is good. Maybe the manual has been updated, but I'd suggest clarifying the stage of the serial port tab....

bloojoop

it looks like on the serial output page, you have all 4 set to port 1.  All ports on receivers would be the same as port 1 in this config.  You need serial 1 to port 1 , serial 2 to port 2 , serial 3 to port 3 etc.   right now whatever you have on port 2, 3, 4 are not going to the receiver chain at all.  only port 1
--Ron A.