Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 52
Total: 57

How to Program Ports & Pixels on 16v4

Started by Jack S, December 13, 2021, 03:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack S

I'm new to pixels and just received a new 16v4.  I looked at videos for programming the ports and pixels for the 16v3 but the v4 seems different. If I program using universe setup say for 100 pixels per port it insists on ending each port with 1 or 2 universes ahead of the starting universe. As a result when you get down to about 12 it starts giving you red blocks.
So I tried absolute address mode again with only 100 pixels per port and put in the starting channel 1 above each 300 channels per port. Well again once you get down to about port 5 or 6 it starts giving you red blocks. 
Anyone know of any Youtube videos on this or any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks Jack

Poporacer

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 03:24:13 PMI'm new to pixels and just received a new 16v4.  I looked at videos for programming the ports and pixels for the 16v3 but the v4 seems different.
It isn't really different, but you shouldn't be configuring your ports manually anymore, xLights will upload your configurations for you and eliminates many errors that happened before.

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 03:24:13 PMIf I program using universe setup say for 100 pixels per port it insists on ending each port with 1 or 2 universes ahead of the starting universe.
Without seeing a screenshot of this issue, we really can't guess what is going on here.

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 03:24:13 PMAs a result when you get down to about 12 it starts giving you red blocks.
That is typical when you don't configure your inputs first. Like I said, you should use the tools in xLights to configure your controller.

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 03:24:13 PMSo I tried absolute address mode again with only 100 pixels per port and put in the starting channel 1 above each 300 channels per port. Well again once you get down to about port 5 or 6 it starts giving you red blocks.
See above.

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 03:24:13 PMAnyone know of any Youtube videos on this or any suggestions would be appreciated.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Jack S

Don't know how to configure controller from xLights. I created a simple layout of an arch with 50 pixels and a sequence of a single string. This looks good in the preview but how do I setup controller configuration from there? I am using port 9 with 50 pixels only because that's where I have power connections for now. Have a 50 pixel string connected to port 9 which runs fine in test mode.

Poporacer

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 05:54:18 PMDon't know how to configure controller from xLights.
Did you watch the video I posted?

Jack S

Yes watched your video but visualizer does not show any layouts only port assignments. Obviously it appears xLights is not not talking to my controller although it appears the controller is there from xLights.  I'm really a novice at this.

Jack S

Also don't see auto layout only auto size.

Poporacer

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 08:09:19 PMYes watched your video but visualizer does not show any layouts only port assignments
I am not sure what you mean by not showing layouts? Show us?

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 08:09:19 PMObviously it appears xLights is not not talking to my controller
xLights doesn't really talk to the controller, you can have it pass communication if you tell it to.

Quote from: Jack S on December 13, 2021, 08:14:38 PMAlso don't see auto layout only auto size.
Did you set the Vendor, Model and Variant?

Jack S

I'm really at wits end here trying to get something working on my 16v4.  The computer through my router communicates fine with the controller. I have a string of 50 pixels connected to port 1. When I bring up the contoller from xLights and go to test after checking port 1 and enable, the lights do their thing just fine. Also under controller I entered Falcon Model and Variant (16 local ports). It's showing correct IP address and E131 protocol. Checked auto layout and it shows 50 channels per universe. Under models it shows Arches.
So in Layout I created a simple arch with 50 nodes. Click on Arches layout and it  maps to E131 with correct IP address universe 1 channel 1 nodes 50.  Under settings pixels it shows arches in port 1.   Then go to sequencer where I created a simple single strand under arches. When I run the sequence it shows up under model but not under house preview. And of course the lights don't light.  I have a feeling not showing up under house preview is a clue but don't know what.
Please help, i've spent hours trying to figure this out. Yes checked wiring under layout it it looks ok

Jack S

Now is showing in house preview but still no pixels lighting.

jnealand

I would suggest youmight solve this much faster by going to the zoom room.  It will become a very good resource for you.  Just joining the room and listening and watching as other folks have problems worked on will be very enlightening.  Heck, this is my 15th yr animated and I am still learning new stuff or different / better ways to do stuff.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Poporacer

Quote from: Jack S on December 15, 2021, 12:24:28 PMChecked auto layout and it shows 50 channels per universe. Under models it shows Arches.
You should really use 512 or 510 Channels per Universe, did you also select Auto Size and Full xLights Control?

Quote from: Jack S on December 15, 2021, 12:24:28 PMI have a feeling not showing up under house preview is a clue but don't know what.
Yes it is, do you have any models that are not assigned to a controller?

Quote from: Jack S on December 15, 2021, 12:24:28 PMPlease help, i've spent hours trying to figure this out.
Like Jim said, you can probably get your problem solved much quicker in the Zoom Room.

Jack S

Ok i'm also new to Falcon Christmas so how do I get to the Zoom room? Do not see anything like that listed at top of this page or when I click on Home.

K-State Fan

Link at the top of the xLights home page

Poporacer

Jack S

Well that was easy. Got help on zoom. All I had to do was turn the light bulb on in xLights to power the lights. Thanks everyone for your guidance. Shows how little I know at this point.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Standalone Mode - limitations? by boknows
Today at 07:19:32 PM

Pi zero 2w by darylc
Today at 07:01:52 PM

Controller not keeping accurate time by JonD
Today at 05:21:55 PM

VAST-FMT/Si4713 plugin 4.1 by sgmaitland
Today at 04:43:46 PM

FPP connect by LedMutt
Today at 04:23:40 PM