Users Online
Members: 6
Guests: 48
Total: 54

SanDevices E682

Started by breese, January 03, 2022, 06:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breese

I am interested in comments on the SanDevices E682 board.
Seems there are some available and I am interested in knowing if I can control them with my Pi 3B+ and support items like a Mega Tree, etc.
Thanks

k6ccc

Been running some (and the E6804 4 port version) since 2012.  There are standard E1.31.  The biggest limitation (by today's standards) is that each board is limited to 12 universes.  So packed universes would most likely be required unless you are not driving much.  
Highly recommend the Version 5 "beta" firmware - it's been in Beta for years and works fine.
Any other specific questions, just ask.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

breese

Quote from: k6ccc on January 03, 2022, 07:50:31 AMBeen running some (and the E6804 4 port version) since 2012.  There are standard E1.31.  The biggest limitation (by today's standards) is that each board is limited to 12 universes.  So packed universes would most likely be required unless you are not driving much. 
Highly recommend the Version 5 "beta" firmware - it's been in Beta for years and works fine.
Any other specific questions, just ask.
Thank you for the info.

As a Nubie and looking to get started, I turned to this because of the availability.
One thing I dont understand is the lack updates. Even the beta firmware is somewhat old.
Also, while I do not know what universes are (yet), I see the need for about 6000 pixels for my first display next year. Of that I am very sure the mega tree will be 1600 plus by itself.
Right now I guess (unless someone has a better option) is to get the 16 port version for now.

k6ccc

Quote from: breese on January 03, 2022, 08:06:51 AMOne thing I dont understand is the lack updates. Even the beta firmware is somewhat old.

Correct.  That's a good question, that only Jim from SanDevices can answer.

Quote from: breese on January 03, 2022, 08:06:51 AMAlso, while I do not know what universes are (yet), I see the need for about 6000 pixels for my first display next year. Of that I am very sure the mega tree will be 1600 plus by itself.

Universes are what DMX uses for organization of data.  E1.31 is DMX over Ethernet.  Each universe is limited to 512 channels (part of the DMX spec).  With each pixel taking 3 channels, that means 170 pixels per universe.  With the E682 limited to 12 universes, that means just over 2,000 pixels for each E682 controller card.  So your pixel tree is possible with your speculated 1600 pixels (plus typically 270 for the star on top).  Would require a little port creativity.  When my tree was 12 x 50 plus 360 or 270 for the star, I ran it on a single E682.  When I upgraded the tree to 24 x 100, I added a second E682.  After destroying both E682s (oops), that got replaced with a Falcon F16v3 and expansion board.

I still have a couple E682 controllers, but have migrated to Falcon boards except for one E6804 that is used as part of the year round landscape lighting, and will get retired in a few weeks.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
My show website:  http://newburghlights.org

Jim

Poporacer

Quote from: breese on January 03, 2022, 08:06:51 AMAs a Nubie and looking to get started, I turned to this because of the availability.
But depending on where you want to go with your show, you will probably need to upgrade in the very near future. Sometimes, waiting is a much better option. You don't need a controller to get started, there are a ton of other thing that you will need to do while you are waiting for availability. Like build props, sequence songs, etc.

Quote from: breese on January 03, 2022, 08:06:51 AMOne thing I dont understand is the lack updates. Even the beta firmware is somewhat old.
Since this controller is pretty much outdated, there probably won't be much in the way of updates. (yes, it is fully functional and works as designed but there are a ton of features that this controller is lacking)

Quote from: breese on January 03, 2022, 08:06:51 AMAlso, while I do not know what universes are (yet),
A Universe is the "packet" that the data for the pixels gest sent in, kind of like a bucket for carrying water. But with xLights and modern controllers, you don't even need to know or understand what Universes are.

Quote from: breese on January 03, 2022, 08:06:51 AMI see the need for about 6000 pixels for my first display next year.
If that is the case, you will need 3 San Devices controllers to control that many pixels (or one of the modern controllers)

Quote from: breese on January 03, 2022, 08:06:51 AMRight now I guess (unless someone has a better option) is to get the 16 port version for now.
Since the chip shortage and shipping status is unknown it is a hard place to be in. The controller is a very small part of the overall show and you can do everything else without a controller, or even knowing what controller you are going to use (create your layout, build your props, create your sequences, etc.)
Since the SanDevices controller is still available and I don't foresee a huge demand for them, I would suggest waiting a little bit and purchasing one of the more modern controllers like the Falcon or Kulp line of controllers when they become available. Is there a possibility that they won't get more before the end of the year? It is possible, but unlikely.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

breese

Thank you both!
I will wait.
Does seem better to get something later that has more support.
As I go over the pictures of my house and build out a list of what I Hoping to do, I will have a better plan.
Plus, I would like to get the Falcon controllers as this site has shown me some very good support.

Poporacer

Quote from: breese on January 03, 2022, 09:34:20 AMPlus, I would like to get the Falcon controllers as this site has shown me some very good support.
The Falcon controllers do have a ton of support but so do the Kulp controllers. Both are great controllers in my opinion.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics