Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 98
Total: 103

rpi-28D+ and DPIPixels

Started by cabrio, June 11, 2022, 12:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabrio

Looking for a bit of help. If anyone has tried fpp 6 with an rpi-28D+. Specifically my problem is that I've got licenses to enable the DPIPixels yet I can't seem to get it to work.
If I wire up a test set of pixels to CN2 of the rpi-28D+ and do not enable DPIPixels driver and just leave it to standard rpi-28D+, I can get it to light up through the test section of the Ui.
If I enable DPIPixels and enable the exact same CN2 test strip I cannot get it to come on. If the wiring is the same like I assume and I have definitely enabled it, is there something else I might be missing
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

CaptainMurdoch

I may have an idea what this is and just pushed a new virtual EEPROM for the rPi-28D(+) capes.

I'm assuming you were plugged into the two WS281x outputs on the rPi-28D+.  If you were using the 4-port DPIPixels config, the WS281x connectors CN2 and CN3 were outputs 3 and 4 in the UI, but I just swapped the order around so that they are 1 and 2 and the WS2801 connector are outputs 3 & 4.

Can you pull in FPP updates on the About page and try again?  After you pull in updates, you'll need to re-install the virtual EEPROM on the Pixel String config page and re-sign it if it was already signed.  I added a new 2-output option and swapped the ports around on the 4-port option so double check your config, pick either the 2-output or 4-output option which applies, and let me know if it works now.
-
Chris

cabrio

Quote from: CaptainMurdoch on June 12, 2022, 12:09:01 AMI may have an idea what this is and just pushed a new virtual EEPROM for the rPi-28D(+) capes.

I'm assuming you were plugged into the two WS281x outputs on the rPi-28D+.  If you were using the 4-port DPIPixels config, the WS281x connectors CN2 and CN3 were outputs 3 and 4 in the UI, but I just swapped the order around so that they are 1 and 2 and the WS2801 connector are outputs 3 & 4.

Can you pull in FPP updates on the About page and try again?  After you pull in updates, you'll need to re-install the virtual EEPROM on the Pixel String config page and re-sign it if it was already signed.  I added a new 2-output option and swapped the ports around on the 4-port option so double check your config, pick either the 2-output or 4-output option which applies, and let me know if it works now.

Yes it was connected to CN2 and CN3.
I only changed the location of the the strings in the UI as you have stated above from 1 & 2 to 3 & 4 as applicable depending on the driver being used.
Physically always attached to the same CN2 and CN3 on the rpi-28D(+).

Will definitely do the updates and advise.

Just entered in to this stuff this year and plan to have a around a 5000 light, 15 song Christmas display this year. I'd be surprised if anyone in our town of around 35000 have even heard of something like this.

Thanks for your work!
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

cabrio

Tried it out. What is happening now when I enable 2xDPIPixels, it says to restart fppd. I comply. When it comes back it shows FPPD is stopped and the restart fppd yellowish pop up shows again. Clicking it does nothing and seems like it's frozen. It seems to maybe reboot. Then it's disabled again and back to where I started.
I also get a red pop up after reboot on main screen that says "Abnormal Conditions - May Cause Poor Performance - Could not initialize output type FBMatrix. Check logs for details.". If that's anything.

I also get a "Failed to save restartFlag setting" at the point where it says to restart fppd the first time

So far no matter what I seem to do i can't enable DPIPixels 2 or 4 ouputs.

CaptainMurdoch

If you had a Virtual Matrix configured, you will need to delete that and reconfigure. The Virtual Matrix now writes to a Pixel Overlay Model, so you will first need to create a Pixel Overlay Model set to output to your monitor/projector, then you can create a Virtual Matrix pointed at the Pixel Overlay Model.  I don't think that will prevent fppd from starting though, it should just warn.

Can you go to the FPP File Manager and the Logs tab.  View the 'fppd.log' file and copy and paste the tail end of that log file here in chat and we can see if there are any errors preventing startup.

I think the "failed to save" message is because the system is rebooting, the Pi is shutting down quicker then the browser sends the command to save the setting.  I'll take a look at that code.
-
Chris

cabrio

I forgot to inform you that I did catch that virtual matrix error, corrected it and it is gone. same problem persists. .
Another error i get from time to time is a GPIO pin error.

CaptainMurdoch

Can you go to the FPP File Manager and the Logs tab and click the button to download the logs zip and attach it here and I'll take a look at the config.
-
Chris

cabrio

Here you go.

Poporacer

Quote from: bradley.jc@live.com on June 13, 2022, 02:48:50 PMI can't for the life of me figure out how to attach the logs zip file I've now downloaded from fpp.
You can't use the Quick Reply, if you use Quick Reply, then Preview your message and you will get the option for attachments
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

cabrio

Poporacer

Did you recently delete your fppd.log? It is unusually small and no mention of any errors in gpio? 
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

cabrio

I may have inadvertently done that. The gpio is not all that consistent, but have seen it several times. Is there enough data to make sense of everything or should I maybe try and enable the rpi-28D+ box to record some mor data? Clean install?

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: bradley.jc@live.com on June 13, 2022, 04:47:40 PMI may have inadvertently done that. The gpio is not all that consistent, but have seen it several times. Is there enough data to make sense of everything or should I maybe try and enable the rpi-28D+ box to record some mor data? Clean install?

Yeah, we need a logs zip that was collected with the rPi-28D+ Enable box checked in order to debug the issue.
-
Chris

cabrio

In about ten minutes I will send new ones and a new logs zip...I will enable it and go through the motions several times before I upload it.

Also, what do you think of clean install and see what occurs?

Thanks to both of you for the help so far...I'm a bit of a fan of (b)leading edge stuff so anything new I like to try, regardless of the issues that come up. I find it all very challenging and satisfying.

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: bradley.jc@live.com on June 13, 2022, 05:09:21 PMIn about ten minutes I will send new ones and a new logs zip...I will enable it and go through the motions several times before I upload it.

Also, what do you think of clean install and see what occurs?

If you don't mind helping, we'd like to figure out the issue here in case it is something we can fix and avoid in the future.  If the newer logs zip doesn't help, then we may just say re-image, but for now hold off if you don't mind waiting just a little longer.
-
Chris

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics