Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 41
Total: 43

rpi-28D+ and DPIPixels

Started by cabrio, June 11, 2022, 12:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poporacer

Quote from: bradley.jc@live.com on June 13, 2022, 05:09:21 PMThanks to both of you for the help so far...
No problem

Quote from: bradley.jc@live.com on June 13, 2022, 05:09:21 PMI'm a bit of a fan of (b)leading edge stuff so anything new I like to try, regardless of the issues that come up. I find it all very challenging and satisfying.
And it is people like you that really help the developers to be able to put out a product that is as bug free as possible. We test every configuration that we know of before it is released, but there are probably a million different variables in configurations and usages so it would be impossible to test every situation. Your help, benefits not only you but the rest of the community!
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

cabrio

I tried to enable a few times over a 10 minute span.

I have a few different rpi's here as well so I can test it on several configurations. This current one is the newest rpi so I figured I'd start there.
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

CaptainMurdoch

According to the config file and the logs, it still doesn't look like you have the Channel Output enabled on the Pixel Strings config page.

{
    "channelOutputs" :
    [
        {
            "channelCount" : -1,
            "enabled" : 0,
            "outputCount" : 2,
            "outputs" :

Are you checking the "Enable" checkbox and then saving the config?
-
Chris

cabrio

This whole frustration stems from that I cannot enable it. As soon as I check the enable box and save, it suggests to restart fppd, so I do, then the fppd shows its stopped. After that i cant do anything for about a minute or so, it seems to reboot and when it comes back, the check box is empty...every time.
"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

cabrio

Is there a way to edit this file to set that as a 1? Too simplistic?

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: bradley.jc@live.com on June 14, 2022, 03:41:29 AMThis whole frustration stems from that I cannot enable it. As soon as I check the enable box and save, it suggests to restart fppd, so I do, then the fppd shows its stopped. After that i cant do anything for about a minute or so, it seems to reboot and when it comes back, the check box is empty...every time.

Restarting fppd can sometimes trigger a reboot if a reboot is necessary to configure the channel output.  In the case of DPIPixels and the legacy RPIWS281X 2-string Pi driver, they each require a reboot, so switching between them will trigger a reboot.

Can you confirm if you can save any other settings and if they are retained if you reload the settings page?  Also, if you save the pixel strings config, but don't restart fppd, can you reload the pixel strings page in your browser and confirm if the checkbox is checked and other string config options were saved correctly?
-
Chris

cabrio

If I check the check box and save, then reload page, it stays checked.

If I check it save it and hit the orange coloured box that says restart fppd, it restarts, reboots and then is unchecked.

If I check the box, save it and hit the fppd below with the other reboot/restart options, fppd restarts ok and I can navigate to and from other pages immediately.

When I reboot the last scenario, the box again is unchecked. The only thing I haven't done is tried the test section with this last scenario however, upon reboot it was unchecked so not overly helpful yet anyway.

Every other setting on any other page including the ones on the section that I am using the most retain all their settings as intended.

CaptainMurdoch

I have tried reproducing this using the rPi-28D virtual EEPROM, but haven't run into anything that resets the enabled checkbox.

Can you pull in the latest FPP updates on that system and go to the Cape Info page and take a screenshot of the About tab and post it here?
-
Chris

cabrio

cabrio

I have been trying a few different things

1) rpi4 with rpi-28D+
2) rpi3 with rpi=28D+
this problem is reproduced on both of these setups.

However,
3) rpi4 with virtual eeprom only
this one works although it states a fifty pixel limit and i understand why, at least it stays enabled

cabrio

I have also tried to reinstall the eeprom signature which wipes the license out.
Then it seems I can enable save reboot and all that while the rpi-28D still stays enabled for DPIPixels driver.
I can test the 50 lights and they work as well, but as soon as I apply a license and reboot, it no longer will stay enabled. maybe there's something in that?
This is true for all setups above.

CaptainMurdoch

In the screenshot the EEPROM location was listed as physical.  Did you use the EEPROM Upgrade UI to put an EEPROM .bin file onto the physical EEPROM?  Is there also a virtual EEPROM installed on these?  If so that may be the issue.

In your testing, did the Cape Info About tab or EEPROM signature tab show any message about an invalid EEPROM location?
-
Chris

cabrio

The only virtual eeprom was on the pi i have that actually doesnt have a cape.

the other two are pictured below.

cabrio

Quote from: CaptainMurdoch on June 14, 2022, 03:56:48 PMIn the screenshot the EEPROM location was listed as physical.  Did you use the EEPROM Upgrade UI to put an EEPROM .bin file onto the physical EEPROM?  Is there also a virtual EEPROM installed on these? 
Come to think of it, i might have done that. i have several sd cards here that i can test out a new image and see what happens if i do not upgrade with a file

cabrio

Just for reference, quickly did a clean install, no upgrade or install eeprom file via the ui.
I only applied a license which installed fine rebooted and try enable rpi-28D and restart, reboot and disabled again.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

FPP 6.x Debian MiniPC - Virtual Matrix issue by Sobal44
Today at 12:40:25 AM

Is a plugin approach suitable for GPU/framebuffer IO? by Cureck
November 28, 2022, 11:33:06 PM

FPP 6.x Matrix Issues by Poporacer
November 28, 2022, 08:32:23 PM

f48 and new differential receivers by yarhoward
November 28, 2022, 08:27:31 PM

RGBW on PiCap by EricD
November 28, 2022, 07:37:58 PM