Total Topics: 15585
Most Online Today: 66
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 33
Total: 34

Is it possible to display the same lights at two locations in xlights preview?

Started by JonD, July 10, 2022, 01:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonD

Is there a way to make a dummy prop in xlights that will just mirror what is playing elsewhere in another preview location?

My display covers both the front and back of my house.  I own empty lots on each side of the house, so my display is fairly wide as well.  To fit everything in a background picture for the preview, I had to use the panoramic feature.  The picture ended up being long.  It did not work well as a background picture, and having the back of the house in a separate view was not ideal either.  I ended up combining both the front and back into one picture as a split screen.  The front house on top, and the back house on the bottom.  With both pictures combined it made a nice 16:9ish picture of the entire display that worked well.

We are going to add a string of lights on the peak of our roof this year which will be seen from both sides.  Everything looks great on the top split screen, but I would like to add the same lights to the bottom split screen to have an idea of what it will look like.  The front and back of the house have different center points for entire house effects.  I had to create two "entire house" groups.  (One for the front, and one for the back)  This allowed me to center both and it worked great.  With the peak lights being shown on both sides of the house, I am not sure how this will impact the group effects on the back side of the house.  I would like to create dummy lights that will only mirror what is playing on front of the house.

LOR had a "Uses the same channel as" that you could use to create dummy props.  For example you had two bushes next to each other and you were going to plug both AC lights into the same outlet.  The same feature worked for more advanced pixel configurations as well.  The programming would be applied to the primary prop, and the secondary prop would just mirror what the primary light was doing in the preview.  Anything like this in xlights?

CaptainMurdoch

Create a duplicate model in xLights and set the start channel to the same as the other model.  xLights will warn you about a channel overlay if you have that setting enabled, but otherwise it should work fine I believe.
-
Chris

Poporacer

You can manually assign the Start Channel to match the other string. (have to disable Auto Layout models first if you are using that.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

jnealand

Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

jem5136

As mentioned above, you can duplicate your prop and set the start channel as the same channel. These are referred to as shadow models. I use a few of them for my pixel tree. They can be helpful in a number of reasons, such as display previews, controller setup, and controlling effects. 

JonD

Thanks Everyone!

I had ran across a "shadow model" video made by Keith on youtube, but it was talking about making it easier to upload controller info and was discussing dividing the channels between two mega trees.  The above worked for the most part and is exactly what I was looking for.  The mirror does not play the same thing on some effects, but it is probably just an effect math thing that I have not got my head around it yet.  Thank you!

The other roof strings in the back are playing backwards now of course.  Am I the only person that can't get xlights preview to play some props in the correct direction?  On some props it does not matter if the starting point is green or blue, and reversing the pixel order has no impact.  The only way I can make the preview look correct is to configure the prop backwards in xlights and then reverse the order on the Falcon controller.  It is usually single lines such as arches and roof lines, and when the controller is on opposite sides.  Thanks to the Falcon reverse feature I have been able to work around it.

Poporacer

Quote from: JonD on July 12, 2022, 07:58:53 AMAm I the only person that can't get xlights preview to play some props in the correct direction?  On some props it does not matter if the starting point is green or blue, and reversing the pixel order has no impact.
This has been a known issue for a while and only affects a couple models in a couple effects. All models need to be drawn with the same reference. That means all models need the green starting point in the same relative position. Start all single lines on the left or top, etc.

JonD

Quote from: Poporacer on July 12, 2022, 08:08:37 AMThis has been a known issue for a while and only affects a couple models in a couple effects. All models need to be drawn with the same reference. That means all models need the green starting point in the same relative position. Start all single lines on the left or top, etc.
Good!... it is not just me.  I had seen some past threads discussing the issue several years ago, but nothing current.  Did not know if this was fixed, or people just accepted it and moved on.

Poporacer

As long as you "draw" things with the same orientation, then it should all be good!

JonD

Quote from: Poporacer on July 12, 2022, 02:03:28 PMAs long as you "draw" things with the same orientation, then it should all be good!
With both the front and back of our house in the same preview, that is easier said than done.  A left to right wave in the front, is a right to left in the back.  Green on the left plays fine in the front, but green on the left in the back plays in reverse.  I can fix it by reversing it on the Falcon, but it has been a pain to get the preview to work correctly. 

I could probably create additional shadows for everything in the back, and then apply the programming to the mirror instead of the primary.  Appreciate the info!  Thanks!

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Unable to donate on PayPal by Mat-Moo
Today at 01:10:10 AM

Fpp 6.2 ui password by Mat-Moo
Today at 12:42:53 AM

Pi zero 2w by Sawdust
Today at 12:25:33 AM

I'm Stumped by saleencb
November 30, 2022, 11:49:40 PM

FPP not releasing control to WLED when idle by cwr89
November 30, 2022, 10:58:43 PM