Members: 8
Guests: 39
Total: 47

dummy ports

Started by pomonabill220, July 22, 2022, 01:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pomonabill220

First post and new F16V4 user.
I have a small show but need to separate some of my props.  I have the F16V4 (using 5 ports so far), and two smart receivers.
So far, things seem to be working BUT this is what the visualizer shows in Xlights:  also, why are the props boxes offset from the ports on this second receiver?
You cannot view this attachment.  
and the controller is showing dummy ports that are using up some of the addresses:

Note the 21a, 22a,23a, 24a.... they do not exist and I cannot get rid of them.  I can delete the smart receiver 21-24a, but when I upload output from Xlights, they come back.
As far as I can tell, I have not assigned 21-24a to anything since it doesn't exist.
Vats goink on?

pomonabill220

ports 17-20 are receiver A and 21-24 are receiver B

Poporacer

You have your models on ports 17-24 configured that they are on Smart Remotes. 

TLDR: Right click your models in the Visualizer and set Smart Remote to None on everything on your ports 17-24.

If you want to understand why, then read on.

Smart remotes are remotes that "can" be Daisy Chained together (they don't have to be) but it doesn't look like you are actually daisy chaining anything? The Serial Output (where you plug in the network cable) will output 4 ports of data for a receiver (Smart or Normal Receiver). 

The Serial Output 1 is typically used for ports 17-20 (again for Smart or Normal receivers) and we will just be discussing Output 1 here (the rest behave the same way).

Let's start with Receivers set to Normal Mode (Smart Receivers have the option of being used as Smart or Normal Mode)
Normal mode receivers cannot daisy chain so they would be ports 17-20

Now IF you want to use them in Smart mode, then you are still using the same ports 17-20 but the pixel date output gets shared with the other Smart Remotes in the Chain
If you use the receivers in Smart Mode, they are still only using ports 17-20 (or whatever port you are using) but gives you the ability to spread the port data amongst more than one port. Each of the Receivers in the Chain will have a designator (a, b, c,...f)

Again IF you are using them in Smart Mode, then the first receiver in the chain will typically be ports 17a, 18a, 19a, and 20a. The second receiver in the chain will typically be 17b, 18b, 19b, and 20b, and so on through f. 

In xLights on the Visualizer it will show you what the Remotes are configured as, White is Normal Mode, Green is Smart Mode configured for board "a" (typically first board in chain), Purple is Smart Mode configured for board "b" (typically second board in chain) and so on.

Now to explain why you are seeing things the way they are.

Quote from: pomonabill220 on July 22, 2022, 01:22:00 AMwhy are the props boxes offset from the ports on this second receiver?
The props on ports 21-24 are configured as being on Smart Remote "B", this "chain" has no information for Smart Remotes "A" 
Smart Remotes "A" will show first but since you don't have anything on Ports 21-24 configured on Smart Remote "A" that line is blank.

Quote from: pomonabill220 on July 22, 2022, 01:22:00 AMand the controller is showing dummy ports
It is showing DUMMY because you have designated a "B" Remote and not an "A" remote so this is just a placeholder since you skipped a remote and an indicator that you might have configured something incorrectly.

Quote from: pomonabill220 on July 22, 2022, 01:22:00 AMthat are using up some of the addresses:
It isn't really using up any addresses, they are duplicate addresses, look at port 21a it is "using" channel 7639 but a pixel count of 0 so it isn't using that address, then if you look at port 21b, it starts at 7639 so no channels are "being used up"

Quote from: pomonabill220 on July 22, 2022, 01:22:00 AMNote the 21a, 22a,23a, 24a.... they do not exist and I cannot get rid of them. 
They exist, you are just not using them, you have Remotes configured on Remote Board "B" so you have to have a Board A Configuration available (whether you use it or not) You cannot get rid of your "A" Remotes if you have any "B" remotes.

Quote from: pomonabill220 on July 22, 2022, 01:22:00 AMI can delete the smart receiver 21-24a, but when I upload output from Xlights, they come back.
Because in xLights you have your models configured on ports 21-24 to be on Smart Remote B

Quote from: pomonabill220 on July 22, 2022, 01:22:00 AMAs far as I can tell, I have not assigned 21-24a to anything since it doesn't exist.
You haven't assigned anything to ports 21-24a BUT you have configured things for ports 21-24b, since this is not a normal method, it is showing your "empty" ports but with no assignment.

If you are NOT going to daisy chain your receivers (which it looks like you are not), then don't use Smart Mode, set your receivers to Smart Remote-None in the Visualizer (This is Normal Mode)

IMPORTANT!!! Whatever Mode you are using- you have to configure the Remotes to match how they are configured in xLights/Controller.

If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

pomonabill220

Quote from: Poporacer on July 22, 2022, 08:00:41 AMSmart remotes are remotes that "can" be Daisy Chained together (they don't have to be) but it doesn't look like you are actually daisy chaining anything?
Yes that is correct.  I am using the two ports off the main controller to EACH remote since I have 3 different areas that have props.
Quote from: Poporacer on July 22, 2022, 08:00:41 AMAgain IF you are using them in Smart Mode, then the first receiver in the chain will typically be ports 17a, 18a, 19a, and 20a. The second receiver in the chain will typically be 17b, 18b, 19b, and 20b, and so on through f. 
From your excellent explanation, it makes sense NOW!  Thank You!!!
Quote from: Poporacer on July 22, 2022, 08:00:41 AMRight click your models in the Visualizer and set Smart Remote to None on everything on your ports 17-24.
I did that and everything fell into place!

pomonabill220

After writing my quick reply, I couldn't insert my screen capture, so here it is:
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!  I see what I was doing and mis-interpreting how a smart/dumb receiver works.
Makes sense now!
Thanks!

and just for giggles, here is a shot of my F16 output mapping:

pomonabill220

A couple of things I did notice with my setup.
1) for ports 17-20, I must use the RCVR 1 output jack, and for 21-24 I must use RCVR 2 output jack, just like you said:
Quote from: Poporacer on July 22, 2022, 08:00:41 AMThe Serial Output 1 is typically used for ports 17-20 (again for Smart or Normal receivers) and we will just be discussing Output 1 here (the rest behave the same way).

2) in Xlights, for controller/variant, I must use 16 local ports + 2 Smart Receiver chains in order to get an output from the receiver board's ports, even though the receivers are operating in dumb mode.

I guess IF in the visualizer there were empty boxes on the unused receiver/ports, that could have indicated a problem, BUT if I knew what I was doing, that wouldn't be necessary..... hehe

Reading your explanation made me have a "light bulb moment"!

This is a learning experience for me (and everyone else I assume), and your help and detail really made a difference!
Thanks again!

Poporacer

Quote from: pomonabill220 on July 23, 2022, 01:32:38 AMThis is a learning experience for me (and everyone else I assume), and your help and detail really made a difference!
Glad it helped! Have fun with this new obsession Hobby
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

pomonabill220

Quote from: Poporacer on July 23, 2022, 07:31:35 AM
Quote from: pomonabill220 on July 23, 2022, 01:32:38 AMThis is a learning experience for me (and everyone else I assume), and your help and detail really made a difference!
Glad it helped! Have fun with this new obsession Hobby
Yes it did!
OOPS.... obsession   YOU BET!!!! :o :o
  My living room is my prop staging area... no access to chairs... ;D
When will it end?!?!?!