News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15523
Latest: Stoneyman22
New This Month: 31
New This Week: 19
New Today: 5
Stats
Total Posts: 127320
Total Topics: 15628
Most Online Today: 86
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 35
Total: 43

FPP Custom HomeMade PiHat for Pi B RevB with 26 Pin GPIO Header

Started by tfmacz, September 20, 2022, 11:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfmacz

I Have a number of Raspberry Pi B with the 26 pin GPIO Header.
I will hand wire a custom Pixel String PiHat to fit these.  The GPIO Header does not have GPIO19 for the second string.  It is not convenient to put both models on a single string.  They a only 100 Pixels each but some distance apart.  How can I change the Pixel string output pin in the GPIO Header to something that is available on the 26 Pin Header?

If I buy a 2 pin DPIPixel-24 license can I change the pins there?

Thanks 
Ted

bloojoop

the standard output type uses hardware PWM which is only available on GPIO 18 ad 19.  Cannot get a second port using that output type.  Using the DPIPIXEL output type, you can define your pins by building a custom virtual EEPROM that defines what pins are used for which ports.  There likely would be instructional help in the fpp github page regarding custom eeproms.  I don't think DPIPixels was test on a PI B and it is very dependent on timing and uses the video frame buffer and the GPU so it may not even work on a PI B.  If it did and you wanted to use that output type, it would require a license to enable more than 50 pixels per port. 
--Ron A.

tfmacz

Could you provide a bit of help in where to look for info on creating a "custom virtual EEPROM"?  If I can get it to use a different pin I can test if it might work at 50 pixels.  If so It would be worth the $5 to buy a 2 port license to test further.

Thanks
Ted.

bloojoop

It's a bit technical for sure and I have not done it. I would search in the github repository... there are some docs samples about eeprom structure.   
--Ron A.

tfmacz

Thanks.  I have been searching through the git repository.  I have found the eeprom.txt explination of the eeprom structure.  it's the extra code that I am trying to decipher.  You suggest the gpio pins are in there somewhere.

tfmacz

As it turns out.  If I use the DPIPixel output type. Pay for an 8 port license.  I can use at least 6 ports with the standard GPIO header assignments.  So far, 300pixel strips are behaving.