News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15484
Latest: MrCreed
New This Month: 106
New This Week: 20
New Today: 6
Stats
Total Posts: 126948
Total Topics: 15568
Most Online Today: 108
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 59
Total: 67

New K4-PB wifi problems

Started by bossier17, September 06, 2022, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnealand

An easy way to test the power question is to use a powered Hub for the wifi adapter.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

fauxton

A quick glance at this pocketbeagle schematic I found shows that when the USB host connector is connected in the way shown in the system reference manual, the USB power only comes from the USB device connector as a pass through.  Both the "VIN.USB" and normal "VIN" go into the chip, so I don't know if that is supposed to provide routing of power?  Dan would have to let us know whether the USB jack on his cape gets its power from his onboard regulator or more likely from the described symptom, is wired the way the SRM shows, getting it's power from the "USB1.VBUS" output on the pocketbeagle.

https://github.com/beagleboard/pocketbeagle/blob/master/PocketBeagle_sch.pdf

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/GHI%20Electronics%20PDFs/PocketBeagleSystemRefManual_Web.pdf

Seems like the short term solution is that the pocket beagle needs to be powered from the USB input to have power at the USB host jack.
I am building pixel interface capes for BBB - http://www.ledpixeldriver.com

Frankr

So I do not know if my issue with the K40D is the same or not but based on the discussion around power I decided to try a couple of things.

based on the suggestion of jnealand I decided to boot with the edimax wifi adapter attached to a hub. Doing this was unsuccessful at getting a wireless signal.

I then attached a tether cable and logged into the PB. lsusb showed neither the hub or the edimax. Hotswapping the hub or moving the edimax to the K40D board did not change this state. Only the two root hub bus devices would show.

I then rebooted with the tether cable attached along with the hub and edimax. In this configuration, everything worked perfectly. the  hub and edimax card both show up and I was able to log into the device from a separate PC no problem.

rebooting again without the tether cable resulted in the same behavior as the first time. So clearly the tether cable is making things work but I have no clue on how...

(note: tether cable is plugged into the PC for all the above test scenarios, just in case that was not clear.)
(note 2: hotswapping the usb devices after successful boot works as expected. Disconnecting the tether cable then results in the network connection to the wifi address failing. Reconnecting the tether cable I see the edimax and hub still listed by lsusb but removing the edimax or the hub physically does not result in changes to the output of lsusb).

bossier17

Quote from: fauxton on September 09, 2022, 10:03:06 AMSeems like the short term solution is that the pocket beagle needs to be powered from the USB input to have power at the USB host jack.

Does anyone know if I power the board with a 12V power supply while also having the PB microusb connected to a 5v output (so the wifi usb has power) would cause any problems?  

bloojoop

Quote from: Frankr on September 09, 2022, 01:29:26 PMSo I do not know if my issue with the K40D is the same or not but based on the discussion around power I decided to try a couple of things.

based on the suggestion of jnealand I decided to boot with the edimax wifi adapter attached to a hub. Doing this was unsuccessful at getting a wireless signal.

I then attached a tether cable and logged into the PB. lsusb showed neither the hub or the edimax. Hotswapping the hub or moving the edimax to the K40D board did not change this state. Only the two root hub bus devices would show.

I then rebooted with the tether cable attached along with the hub and edimax. In this configuration, everything worked perfectly. the  hub and edimax card both show up and I was able to log into the device from a separate PC no problem.

rebooting again without the tether cable resulted in the same behavior as the first time. So clearly the tether cable is making things work but I have no clue on how...

(note: tether cable is plugged into the PC for all the above test scenarios, just in case that was not clear.)
(note 2: hotswapping the usb devices after successful boot works as expected. Disconnecting the tether cable then results in the network connection to the wifi address failing. Reconnecting the tether cable I see the edimax and hub still listed by lsusb but removing the edimax or the hub physically does not result in changes to the output of lsusb).
I have a k40d-pb that is exhibiting the very same behavior... I've swapped the pocket beagle tried multiple usb devices.. If I leave the microusb connected during a reboot, or use a powered usb hub, and reboot, that is the ONLY way to get a usb device recognized.  I have another K40 (a k4pb, k8pb, as well) that do NOT have this problem.  
--Ron A.

fauxton

Quote from: jnealand on September 09, 2022, 09:24:21 AMAn easy way to test the power question is to use a powered Hub for the wifi adapter.
This is purely my speculation, but I would expect the USB hub to need to see *some* power on the bus to "enable" it

Quote from: bossier17 on September 09, 2022, 05:14:31 PM
Quote from: fauxton on September 09, 2022, 10:03:06 AMSeems like the short term solution is that the pocket beagle needs to be powered from the USB input to have power at the USB host jack.

Does anyone know if I power the board with a 12V power supply while also having the PB microusb connected to a 5v output (so the wifi usb has power) would cause any problems? 
From everything I see on the pocketbeagle schematic, there shouldn't be a problem with powering both simultaneously.

bossier17

Thanks for the help all - I think it must be a bad board.  I was going to order a buck convertor and try to power the microusb from the 12v power supply, but I emailed Kulp Lights about a replacement first before I start trying to tinker around with a work-around.  I feel like I shouldn't have this problem with a brand new board.   I'll see what they say...

bossier17

So I haven't been able to get any support from kulplights.  I've emailed them twice with no response, and I've PM'd dkulp on here without a reply.  It's kind of disappointing to have a new board that isn't working properly, but I'm going to try to figure out a way to get the usb hub powered on my own.   Does anyone know where a safe place to jumper 5v from on the PB or K4-PB?  It looks like GPIO P1-1 has 5v - would it be fine to jumper the power for the usb from there?  

fauxton

Wow, sorry to hear that he has not responded.  Normally he gets back to people right away.  I think they are rather busy with all of the V6 conversion stuff.

I would worry about powering the hub from the 5v source on the board.  I don't know the spec of the regulator he has used.  

P1-1 would be the correct place to pick up 5v.  At that point I would be tempted to just solder a small jumper wire on the board between P1-1 and the 5v pin on the USB jack and then you don't need the hub.  Skip whatever is not passing the power along to the connector.

ybjr38@yahoo.com

I just got offline with the Xlights zoom room.  They just announced 6 hours ago that you can not use the usb tethered mode to setup the K4 as it does something to the USB port on the cape redering it useless in any other mode other than tethered mode.  It will no longer work with normal power.

bossier17

Quote from: ybjr38@yahoo.com on October 05, 2022, 05:19:28 PMI just got offline with the Xlights zoom room.  They just announced 6 hours ago that you can not use the usb tethered mode to setup the K4 as it does something to the USB port on the cape redering it useless in any other mode other than tethered mode.  It will no longer work with normal power.
Did they have any solutions?   How are you supposed to set it up, and what do you do if you already set it up through usb tethering?   

darylc

Quote from: bossier17 on October 06, 2022, 04:34:49 PM
Quote from: ybjr38@yahoo.com on October 05, 2022, 05:19:28 PMI just got offline with the Xlights zoom room.  They just announced 6 hours ago that you can not use the usb tethered mode to setup the K4 as it does something to the USB port on the cape redering it useless in any other mode other than tethered mode.  It will no longer work with normal power.
Did they have any solutions?  How are you supposed to set it up, and what do you do if you already set it up through usb tethering? 
My understanding is that you'd need to contact the vendor you bought the board from and arrange for it to be replaced.

Soundman6990

I just received a K4-PB and I'm having the exact same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

fauxton

It sounds like there is some sort of unforeseen problem with the way that the USB power is distributed (see early posts on this thread)  Amazing that it could result in damage of the board.  Without knowing anything about the design of the kulp board, but having investigated the beaglebone schematic, I would be inclined to think there would be damage to the beagleboard and not the cape.  There is no way of knowing this for sure because we don't know how the connector is wired on the kulp board.  The beaglebone designs seem to be full of surprises!

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

FPP Settings dropdowns not populating by jacksonho
Today at 03:20:26 PM

USB Wifi Adapter by jem5136
Today at 02:15:45 PM

FPP 6.x Matrix Issues by cmndr brain
Today at 01:41:55 PM

String ports question by Santacarl
Today at 12:42:38 PM

new piCaps in the works? by Bwinter