Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 21
Total: 25

Video capture - HELP!

Started by gholm, August 24, 2022, 03:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gholm

I'm trying to learn how the Video Capture plugin works but I can't find any instruction or readme.

I've installed the plugin, I've trawled through the FPP interface and can't find anything that refers to it,  Pixel Overlay Effects anywhere or any indication of where I can activate it onto my matrix.

I'm using FPP v6.0.2.  Can anyone give me some instruction?

gholm

OK, it seems the Video Capture plugin doesn't work on fpp 6.0.2
It doesn't appear in the InputOutputSetup menu.

I tried 5.5, install the plugin, but DID NOT upgrade the plugin, and it all works as expected.

If I upgrade the plugin in 5.5, VideoCapture disappears from the menu.

dkulp

With the newer version, there should NOT be an option in the Menu.  It's completely controlled via the overlay effects.  This allows multiple cameras to be used, allows the on/off to be scheduled in a playlist or via push buttons/triggers, etc...

Basically, if you have an overlay model created, you setup an FPP command (or use the "Run FPP Command" button at the bottom) to output the video to a specific model.    You can create a Command preset for this if it's something you use often.   If you then also have a preset for Overlay Model Effect with the "Stop Effects" effect, it will stop the video.   This allows various levels of "interaction" that the former setup made very difficult.   A user can walk up and maybe a proximity sensor or similar could turn on the capture, do some things, then when the user walks away, it turns off. 

You cannot view this attachment.
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

dkulp

Note:  the new version also supports IP cameras.  There is a separate "IP Video Capture" effect that can be used with the URL to a IP camera stream.     
Daniel Kulp - https://kulplights.com

gholm

Thanks Daniel
I'll have to test this later as I'm on a deadline.

v5.5 is doing what I need although I realised it only captures a single row of pixels from the video.

By default it seems to capture the top row or wherever you start the X + Y crop.
The CaptureScreen function shows the whole screen with the green box in place, but it doesns't seem to use anywhere in that green box except the first row.

I can see my matrix in the MatrixTools plugin is seen as a 16x16 and not as a single row so I'm pretty sure my Pixel Overlay model is ok... all the xLight tests work well.

No real issue since I can get around this by mapping all the colours I need into the single top row using Blender. and re-encoded that into the video we're using. 

Thanks again for the speedy response and all the fantastic work you've done to get this far.
cheers

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

F16V3 with 2 expansion boards at 40 fps MAX PIXELS per output? by tbone321
Today at 10:51:55 AM

F48V4-NS at 40 fps using all 48 pixel output ports? by Poporacer
Today at 10:27:09 AM

Unable to update RPi 5.5 to latest version by JonB256
February 05, 2023, 07:23:16 PM

help getting started, next step? by rayster
February 05, 2023, 04:24:09 PM

Warning/Error: Network incomplete frames hit 250. by darylc