News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 7.5 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/7.5

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 16479
Latest: mike1809
New This Month: 11
New This Week: 1
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 132735
Total Topics: 16477
Most Online Today: 143
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 102
Total: 103

Cannot see F16V3 controller in a browser window

Started by ametsman, May 04, 2024, 01:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ametsman

I was running FPP 1.8 hardwired to a F16V3 up until now. I purchased a new Pi and installed FPP 7.5. I set everything up in FPP like the old one. The old FPP is not powered up. My sequences ran just fine. My problem is when I go to a new browser window the controller doesn't open up, it says timed out. If I start up the old Pi and and connect the controller to that thru hard wired it opens in a browser window.

tbone321

We are going to need a bit more information than this.  It appears that you are using a separate show network.  What exactly are these IP addresses pointing to?  Which address is your show network?  Your show network should not have a gateway address and it appears that both networks do.  Leave the gateway on the show network blank.  How did you configure your static route?  

Poporacer

Like was mentioned, you have a few networking issues going on and a description of your actual network would really help.

You should update your FPP to the most current version.

What it your router's IP address?
Explain how everything is physically wired and what devices you want Wi-Fi connected along with their IP addresses.

Here are a few issues I see:
On your eth0 interface you have a gateway configured. Delete that.
On the eth0 interface you have forwarding enabled. Turn that off.
On your Host & DNS settings, change one of them to 8.8.8.8
You didn't mention any other controllers of FPP devices but you have the Send Multi-Sync option selected? You probably do not want that.
It looks like you have the Wi-Fi enabled on your F16? You probably do not want that.
In order to access your F16, you need to configure some sort of routing. The easiest way is to define FPP as a Proxy host. It is described here:
https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual.pdf#page=83
You will also need to add your FPP's Wi-Fi address in the Proxy IP address in xLights for the F16
Your E1.31 outputs are not correct. You probably want to delete all 3 lines and save. Then in xLights make sure in your Controllers tab you only have actual CONTROLLERS. A controller is something that has some sort of light plugged directly into it. I have a feeling in your case it is just the F16. Then use FPP connect to upload the configurations. Set the UDP Output to Proxied.

This should get you close.

If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

ametsman

My pi is Running FPP 7.5. It is wireless to my home network. My home network is 192.168.86.XXX. The wlan0 is static with an ip of 192.168.86.226. The gateway for the wlan is set at 192.168.86.1.When I do an IP scan of my home network with IP scanner this instance of FPP shows up. The eth0 is static at 192.168.1.100 and no gateway. The DNS settings is set to manual and an ip of 192.168.86.1. The F16 is hardwired to the Pi thru the ethernet port. The F16 has an ip of 192.168.1.50. Like I said, I set everything thing up just like when I was running FPP 1.8. Everything worked fine this past Christmas. The sequences work fine with my new setup. I just can't get to the controller in a browser window. The FPP 7.5 is a lot different than the old version I was using so I could be missing something. I did attach some screen shots. If you need more info let me know.

ametsman

If I type this in the address bar then my controller shows up http://192.168.86.226/proxy/192.168.1.50/. If I just type the ip of the controller, it doesn't show up.

Poporacer

Quote from: ametsman on May 05, 2024, 09:11:41 AMMy pi is Running FPP 7.5
You should really update to the most current version of 7.5 if you haven't already.

Quote from: ametsman on May 05, 2024, 09:11:41 AMThe eth0 is static at 192.168.1.100 and no gateway.
That is NOT what the screenshot you displayed shows.

Quote from: ametsman on May 05, 2024, 09:11:41 AMThe DNS settings is set to manual and an ip of 192.168.86.1.
Did you see my comment about that?

Quote from: ametsman on May 05, 2024, 09:11:41 AMLike I said, I set everything thing up just like when I was running FPP 1.8.
That isn't actually possible because there are a lot of things that have changed and are now configured a little differently. But if you follow my previous suggestions you should be good or fairly close.

Quote from: ametsman on May 05, 2024, 09:11:41 AMI just can't get to the controller in a browser window.
That is likely because you are missing the Proxy Host configuration.

Quote from: ametsman on May 05, 2024, 09:11:41 AMThe FPP 7.5 is a lot different than the old version I was using so I could be missing something.
Yes it is. There has been a TON of improvements in a lot of areas. Refer to my previous post or jump in the Zoom Room. They can get you up and running in just a couple minutes. The Zoom room is probably the best and quickest way to get problems resolved.

Poporacer

Quote from: ametsman on May 05, 2024, 09:22:56 AMIf I type this in the address bar then my controller shows up http://192.168.86.226/proxy/192.168.1.50/. If I just type the ip of the controller, it doesn't show up.
That is the expected behavior. 

Let me explain. 
Devices in a network can only "talk" to devices that are in the same network. They cannot "talk" to devices that are not in the same network unless you tell your network how to get to the other network (this is called routing). Since the F16 is NOT in your local network, your router will not process requests for devices outside of the local network. This is by design to eliminate traffic and somewhat of a security issue.

There are 3 basic ways to configure a route:

1. A proxy host where a device is configured to pass on the traffic it receives. Since the device itself it handling the routing, you have to use the "Proxy" address like you are using (http://192.168.86.226/proxy/192.168.1.50/) . You cannot access the controller directly since YOUR NETWORK does not know where the controller is. So your request is going to the FPP and FPP is handling the routing, not your network. With this configuration you do NOT need to configure any type of forwarding since the Proxy Host handles that.
2. A Static route in your router. This is a method to tell your router that you have a device that is NOT in your local network and what device (FPP) to send the traffic to. The device (FPP) that is getting this traffic normally doesn't know what to do with traffic that is not local to its interface (the Wi Fi interface) so you have to tell the FPP to forward the traffic to the etho interface. You would do that by the Forwarding setting in FPP.
3.  A Static route in your computer. This is a method to tell your computer that you have a device that is NOT in your local network and what device (FPP) to send the traffic to. The device (FPP) that is getting this traffic normally doesn't know what to do with traffic that is not local to its interface (the Wi Fi interface) so you have to tell the FPP to forward the traffic to the etho interface. You would do that by the Forwarding setting in FPP.

Using a Proxy host works but requires using the indirect IP address
Static Route in your router lets you use the IP address of your F16 without the strange proxy designation
Static Route in your computer lets you use the IP address of your F16 without the strange proxy designation, but will only work from that computer.

tbone321

One quick question.  Does your new 7.5 FPP setup have the same IP address as your older 1.8 version?  If not, and you have set up and forgotten a static route on your PC, that route will no longer function and will either need to be deleted and recreated with the new FPP IP address or change the PI's WIFI address to the one that the older FPP setup was using.

tbone321

Quote from: Poporacer on May 05, 2024, 07:43:42 AMOn the eth0 interface you have forwarding enabled. Turn that off.
You really shouldn't be making changes like this until you understand how their setup was configured.  I really doubt that he was using a proxy host back then and if not, then FPP forwarding needs to be left on and the static route needs to be reconfigured.

Poporacer

Quote from: tbone321 on May 05, 2024, 10:57:29 AMYou really shouldn't be making changes like this until you understand how their setup was configured.
Did you see his post that he could reach the controller using  http://192.168.86.226/proxy/192.168.1.50/ ?
That is only possible IF he has a proxy host configured

tbone321

I'm sure that he does now but the whole point of this post is that just typing in the IP address of his controller to access it no longer works but used to and he was questioning why.  From what I am seeing by his descriptions is that he is either using another PI for his new version of FPP or he is using a different SD card which is allowing him to switch back and forth.  He also said that when the old version of FPP is running, he is able to connect to the controller by entering its IP address directly and your are not doing that thru a proxy server.  Did ver 1.8 even have a proxy server?  To me, it appears that his new FPP may have a different WLAN IP address from the old one and if so, the previous static route will not function with that new IP address. 

ametsman

Quote from: tbone321 on May 05, 2024, 12:27:26 PMI'm sure that he does now but the whole point of this post is that just typing in the IP address of his controller to access it no longer works but used to and he was questioning why.  From what I am seeing by his descriptions is that he is either using another PI for his new version of FPP or he is using a different SD card which is allowing him to switch back and forth.  He also said that when the old version of FPP is running, he is able to connect to the controller by entering its IP address directly and your are not doing that thru a proxy server.  Did ver 1.8 even have a proxy server?  To me, it appears that his new FPP may have a different WLAN IP address from the old one and if so, the previous static route will not function with that new IP address. 
Exactly. It is a brand new pi, new SD card, installed FPP 7.5 on it. I did this so if I can't get it to work, I will go back to my old pi, plug it in, run my shows since I know it works. I am just trying to see my controller in a browser like I could in the old version by typing http://192.168.1.50/ which is what worked when I use my other pi running FPP 1.8

tbone321

As I asked before, is the WLAN address of the new PI the same one as the address of the old one.  If not, you either need to change the new one to the old ones address or you need to remember where you set the static route and delete and recreate it with the new PI's address.

ametsman

Quote from: tbone321 on May 05, 2024, 01:12:30 PMAs I asked before, is the WLAN address of the new PI the same one as the address of the old one.  If not, you either need to change the new one to the old ones address or you need to remember where you set the static route and delete and recreate it with the new PI's address.
First it was a different ip then I changed it to the original one. Couldn't access the controller using the old ip.

Poporacer

Quote from: tbone321 on May 05, 2024, 12:27:26 PMI'm sure that he does now but the whole point of this post is that just typing in the IP address of his controller to access it no longer works but used to and he was questioning why.    
His original post just said he couldn't connect. He didn't say how he was trying to connect. 

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

USB (and other) issues on Pi Zero 2w by zaicik
Today at 04:20:33 AM

do I need license for my picap New? by tbone321
July 13, 2024, 08:03:14 PM

Multiple text effects cause re-render by dkulp
July 13, 2024, 08:44:07 AM

FPP led Panel Troubleshooting. by Poporacer
July 12, 2024, 09:29:56 AM

output controller by JonD
July 12, 2024, 09:29:07 AM