Users Online
Members: 2
Guests: 23
Total: 25

Help with DMX setup

Started by tfischer, October 09, 2022, 03:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfischer

Hoping someone can help me with getting DMX working on a Falcon f16v3. 

This is the first time I've tried to set that up so I'm probably doing something dumb.  The address of the controller is 192.168.10.199, and I want Universe 19 to be the channel for DMX. So that (for example)when I send data to universe 19, channel 30, it should send data to channel 30 on the DMX line connected to the second RJ45 plug on the Falcon board.

When I plug in my test DMX light, it indicates it's receiving proper DMX signal from the Falcon, but I cannot control it. The falcon shows I'm getting data on Universe 19. 

I'm attaching my serial config plus the universe packet status. Any help would be appreciated.

You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.

tfischer

Things I've tried:
  • Updated falcon firmware to latest (after above screen shots)
  • New Cat-5 cable from Falcon to DMX device
  • Using several pieces of E1.31 software to attempt to control lights
  • Using Falcon's test mode to control lights
  • Several DMX fixtures.

Notes on above:
Since the DMX device is indicating it's getting a signal, I don't think the cable was bad but tried anyway. I can control pixels on the pixel outputs with all software I tried, but the DMX lights don't control. Test mode apparently should control DMX ports as well, but they don't light up.

I also have the jumpers on the proper "DMX" position for all ports.

jnealand

I struggled with this as well.  For this year I forced my DMX to universe 0 and dedicated the first 512 channels to any static things I currently have or will add in the future.  I Played around with this using a PiCap.  I could then go into test mode and turn all test channels on and get the lights to come on.  From that point I just starting turning on a single channel in test mode til I got exactly what I wanted.  I was getting totally flustered since my devices originaly had been in Universe 16 and channels 161-176.  I reset the device to be channels 1-16 and moved it to universe 0 and got it all working quickly after that.  I'm using FFP commands to turn on/off static items when the show starts/ends using the leadin and leadout sections of the scheduler.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

bloojoop

what is the actual DMX starting address on the fixture/dmx controller that you have connected... what type of fixture is it?  since the falcon is receiving the data, and the fixture is indicating that it is receiver data, it seems like it maybe the start address not what you think it is.  
--Ron A.

JonD

Your Falcon settings look good.  I have not used DMX in several years, but still had a controller with the config in it, so will attach print screen.  The Falcon appears to be receiving data for Universe 19, configured to send the data to the second DMX port, and since your DMX item appears to be confirming data, I would be looking at your dmx device, or your xlights configuration for the device.

You cannot view this attachment. 
You cannot view this attachment.

tfischer

I'm starting to think I might have a hardware issue on the Falcon. I am able to control the light via other means (LOR iDMX, Sandevices controller... unfortunately this is my only Falcon board). It's just a standard RGB fixture which I've used for many years... Channel 31, 32, 33 are RGB. I also tried another couple of fixtures just in case.

Dennis Laff

show how you have the dmx lights in x lights

bloojoop

Quote from: tfischer on October 10, 2022, 07:43:29 AMI'm starting to think I might have a hardware issue on the Falcon. I am able to control the light via other means (LOR iDMX, Sandevices controller... unfortunately this is my only Falcon board). It's just a standard RGB fixture which I've used for many years... Channel 31, 32, 33 are RGB. I also tried another couple of fixtures just in case.
you didn't say what the starting address of the fixtures are but let's assume that they are set to the correct start address.. how are you testing?  how is the model configured in xlights?  If you really suspect hardware issue, you could try to move to serial port 3.. Just configure the serial port 3 for serial data dmx universe 19 start channel 1, and move the cable to the bottom of the 3 rj45 ports.  
--Ron A.

JonD

Quote from: tfischer on October 10, 2022, 07:43:29 AMI'm starting to think I might have a hardware issue on the Falcon.
Could it be a hardware issue?...anything is possible.  That would not be my first guess. The Falcon appears to be working. 

I would post a print screen of your xlights controller and light configurations, just in case.  I agree with with Ron, it sounds like the DMX device is not at the start channel you are expecting, the channels are out of order, or something in the xlights configuration is causing the issue. 

On the Falcon side you just need to tell the Falcon to listen for the universe (which you have), and where to send the data when received (which you have).  The RJ-45 ports on the side are RS485 serial, and if you plugged a live ethernet feed into that port, you could have fried it, but I don't think the DMX device would show activity if that was the case. 

tfischer

Thanks to everyone who helped with this. Sorry I went silent for awhile, but I wanted to let folks know how this resolved.

I ended up getting some great support from David Pitts via email. He was very responsive, and had me give him screenshots and try various things. Eventually we were both convinced it was a hardware issue.

I replaced the serial driver DIP (right above the ports) and I'm back in business. WOOT!

JerryPlak

Jerry Plak

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

help getting started, next step? by Poporacer
January 28, 2023, 05:10:18 PM

Trying to configure LOR CF50D Floods on FPP Pi Player with PiCap by half.fast
January 28, 2023, 03:19:37 PM

wifi issues on BBB running fpp v6.3 by k6ccc
January 28, 2023, 02:04:23 PM

BBB / FPP sending data to ESP32 WLED by srwmemphis
January 28, 2023, 04:39:02 AM