Members: 5
Guests: 92
Total: 97

FPP playlist crossfading

Started by Setarcos, March 13, 2015, 02:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Setarcos

Hi folks,

I have a question about crossfading playlists when a trigger-driven event occurs. The reason for my asking is that I plan to use FPP to drive effects in our Halloween haunt this year, and plan to trigger event-driven playlists based on sensor inputs (motion/pressure pad sensors would invoke FPP events). Before and after the triggered event an 'ambient' playlist would run on a loop. To make the transition between playlists less jarring I would like to crossfade the ambient and effect playlists (fading in and out). Is this possible, and if so, how would one go about doing so?

I am a total FPP noob, so please excuse me if the answer to this is totally obvious.

Thanks!

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: Setarcos on March 13, 2015, 02:08:15 PM
I have a question about crossfading playlists when a trigger-driven event occurs. The reason for my asking is that I plan to use FPP to drive effects in our Halloween haunt this year, and plan to trigger event-driven playlists based on sensor inputs (motion/pressure pad sensors would invoke FPP events). Before and after the triggered event an 'ambient' playlist would run on a loop. To make the transition between playlists less jarring I would like to crossfade the ambient and effect playlists (fading in and out). Is this possible, and if so, how would one go about doing so?

This is not currently supported, but it is on the TODO list to look into it.  I am not sure if it will get done this year or not.  Sequence fading might, but audio fading would be a whole different issue and I can see some users wanting both.
-
Chris

Setarcos

Thanks for the feedback Captain!

Just for fun I mocked up a quick scene in xLights/Nutcracker last month that somewhat captures the effect I was thinking about. Here is a screencapture from the simulation window with four pixel (candles) in a row and a multi-level candle cluster on the right side. A trigger event would simulate the candles "blowing out" and other spot lights/audio/animatronics would fire as part of another sequence once a guest triggers a sensor. The crossfading and brightness levels of the "blow out" still need some work, but I think it gets the point across. You may want to view the video at full resolution, as YouTube's video transcoding has lost much of the original detail. Also, the audio track on the YT video isn't synced. The "blow out" happens just after the 16 second mark:

I'll have to figure out some other trickery to get the sequence transition less obvious. The audio crossfading portion can be handled independently from FPP as I can just drive the audio from Logitech Media Server (LMS) and Squeezelite players as I did last year.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Enable Routing by Poporacer
Today at 08:20:58 AM

Using LOR Lightorama and Falcon Smart Receivers together by jasondavid78
Today at 08:19:42 AM

[Solved] F16V3 with two 4-port Smart Receivers by K-State Fan
Today at 07:03:53 AM

Remote Pi connection issues by davdue
November 25, 2022, 11:41:30 PM

F16 V3 operational temp range question by tirebytrlights
November 25, 2022, 10:44:54 PM