Most Online Today: 58
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 5
Guests: 34
Total: 39

Recent posts

Falcon PiCap / Re: PiCap abnormal conditions:...
Last post by Poporacer - Today at 11:34:07 AM
One thing that a lot of people just starting out in this hobby don't realize is that the WHOLE picture is very important and without all of the information, you can get incorrect advice, but now that we have a little more of the picture we can come close, but we still need some more information since we see more of what you have going on.

Quote from: rfillmore on August 16, 2022, 09:41:15 PMI am running a PiCap on a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B.
Per your xLights screen it looks like you have another FPP device (called FPP, which isn't recommended) and it has an IP address that would suggest that you have it connected directly to your computer? Explain this.
Now that there are more players in this game, explain how everything is connected/configured including network configurations.

Quote from: rfillmore on August 16, 2022, 09:41:15 PMwhen I play the sequence with the music (via a playlist I created),
How and where are you playing the sequence? Provide a screenshot of how you are playing it. You have 2 FPP devices so not sure how you are playing it or where. Did you Render and then Save your sequence? (that order is important!) Then upload the sequences to the appropriate devices?

Quote from: rfillmore on August 16, 2022, 09:41:15 PMthe music plays but the lights don't work.
That is odd that you would have music playing unless you have a SoundBlaster installed, again more info needed.

Quote from: rfillmore on August 16, 2022, 09:41:15 PMI get the error: "UDP Output set to send data to myself.
Ok, so looking at your screenshots, look at your Picaptest controller and the E1.31/Artnet/DDP outputs. This device has an IP address of 192.168.1.240 and then in the outputs you are sending data to PiHat for Rob at an IP address of 192.168.1.240 AND you are sending it out the wlan0 interface (E1.31/DDP data over Wi-Fi can be problematic) What the outputs on this page are for is if you need this device to "pass on" data to OTHER devices. Having it send data to itself will cause problems because this device will process the data it processes/receives and then sends the same data back to itself and process it again but just slightly after it had already processed the original data. This can cause flickering and the appearance of lag. You should delete this output and disable the E1.31/Artnet/DDP outputs on this device (or modify it to be correct for your use case, but we don't know that yet)

Quote from: rfillmore on Today at 10:29:25 AMAttached are some screenshots.
So some additional things I see is that on your picaptest in xLights, you do not have the Auto Layout Models enabled or the Auto Size enabled (This becomes available once Auto Layout Models is enabled.) Probably your FPP as well?
What is that FPP device for? Is it controlling pixels?

Also, it is possible that one or both of these controllers will need the Active setting set to xLights only, but without more information I can't say for certain.

I would suggest enabling the items mentioned, Rendering and saving your sequence and then uploading to the appropriate devices. Try it again and let us know, but there are far too many unknowns at this point to give a definite answer.
Screenshots of your Layout page in xLights and your Sequencer page might help as well.

Here is a link to the FPP Manual that might help?
https://falconchristmas.github.io/FPP_Manual(6.0).pdf

Also, there is another resource that is probably the absolute best way to get help and that is the Zoom Room. There are typically several people in that room 24/7 just waiting to help people. If you want more info on how to use the Zoom Room, here is a video

General Hardware / Re: Just putting this out for ...
Last post by Poporacer - Today at 10:53:09 AM
Quote from: Ronnie McCathern on Today at 08:40:23 AMI think you missed the point of what I am asking. Yes they all control the pixels, but charge you a included price for "add on's" some of us will never use!
Have you seen all of the requests for "all-in-one" controller boxes? It looks like they are filling a need. Do you use every feature on your vacuum cleaner, in your car?

Quote from: Ronnie McCathern on Today at 08:40:23 AMShould it be a master show controller in ever box at every mega tree, line of arches, house outline, and so forth.
No, and there are options for that, look at the K40 and F48.

Quote from: Ronnie McCathern on Today at 08:40:23 AMwhich seems is selling off inventory to close as no new controllers in months
He has had controllers several times throughout the year, he can't control the Worldwide chip shortage, governmental shutdowns, port of entry congestion and backlogs......
It the Raspberry Pi Foundation disbanding too? Have you tried to find one of those lately?

Quote from: Ronnie McCathern on Today at 08:40:23 AMand not once has the thought of linking my entire show to just one controller crossed my mind.
But hundreds of others have and that is why those controllers are on high demand.

Quote from: Ronnie McCathern on Today at 08:40:23 AMNor have I ever found a use for the WiFi or broadcasting features on any of them!
But then again, you are in the small minority and adding that convenience only adds about $5 to the cost, whether that cost is partially absorbed by the vendor or totally put on the buyer's shoulder, who knows.

Quote from: Ronnie McCathern on Today at 08:40:23 AMI basically pay a ballpark price for what I need, and then a lot extra for a bunch of fillers!
But that is your choice, you don't have to. And these "fillers" really don't really add that much to the controller cost and carrying multiple variations of controllers with different levels of "fillers" would cost the consumer more in the long run.

Quote from: Ronnie McCathern on Today at 08:40:23 AMAfter speaking with a lot of people, the hobby has just gotten to expensive for your average first timer's,
But you are aware that there is a HUGE Worldwide chip shortage and inflation going on right now? For example, the Raspberry Pis were readily available and in constant stock in every store for $35-$45. Tell me how much you can buy one for TODAY? If you can find one, it will probably be double the price. Controllers have not increased anywhere near that.

Quote from: Ronnie McCathern on Today at 08:40:23 AMso why not offer a no frills controller to them and let them slowly get into the hobby like we all did.
But there ARE tons of those out there...just look! 
There is a potential problem with that concept, a "no-frills" controller will fit the needs for today, but tomorrow, next year, etc., might not work so now they actually need a controller that has some more features and the price paid for that "no-frills" controller was wasted.
The bottom line is that what you are asking/proposing is pretty much out there already.
Last post by rfillmore - Today at 10:29:25 AM
Thank you for your help! Attached are some screenshots. If I have not uploaded the correct ones, let me know. Thank you!

You cannot see attachments on this board. You cannot see attachments on this board. You cannot see attachments on this board.
Last post by rayster - Today at 10:20:11 AM
Please remember to use the Reply button and not the Quick Reply to upload your screenshots.

Ray
Last post by rayster - Today at 10:03:45 AM
Good points Jim. What I find interesting is some one that has been it the hobby since 2013 only has 4 post and is a newbie saying the that Falcon's are going away. The silicon shortage has made it very hard for small manufactures to make what they want to build. 

Pre covid you could start up for about $50 using the a PI-Cap and a RPi zero. Now RPi can not get the chips they need. If you can find a Pi anywhere they are marked way up in price.

Ray
Last post by k6ccc - Today at 09:20:39 AM
I think you are reading far more into some of the specs.  Essentially none of the controllers I listed have any of the capabilities you say are all included - or are EXCEEDINGLY limited.  None of them have built in FM transmitters.  None have a show computer.  None have a built in WiFi router (a few have limited WiFi capability).  A couple have limited capability to control another controller.

The closest to a truly dumb E1.31 pixel controller that I know of is the SanDevices line - which in my opinion are very nice controllers, although by todays standards are somewhat limited (used them for years).  The LOR Pixie line have NONE of the "extra" capabilities that you talk about (although note that they are LOR protocol only - not E1.31).  LOR designed them as a simple pixel controller with the specific intent of a simple to configure and inexpensive pixel controller.

As far as finding inexpensive controllers, it's not all that hard to find low end controllers on the used market as people move up - some at almost give away prices.
I think you missed the point of what I am asking. Yes they all control the pixels, but charge you a included price for "add on's" some of us will never use! It's fine say having one do it all controller, but what about the rest of them? Should it be a master show controller in ever box at every mega tree, line of arches, house outline, and so forth. I have been doing these displays since 2013 using falcons ( which seems is selling off inventory to close as no new controllers in months.) and light a Rama controllers and not once has the thought of linking my entire show to just one controller crossed my mind. Nor have I ever found a use for the WiFi or broadcasting features on any of them! I basically pay a ballpark price for what I need, and then a lot extra for a bunch of fillers! My concern is this. After speaking with a lot of people, the hobby has just gotten to expensive for your average first timer's, so why not offer a no frills controller to them and let them slowly get into the hobby like we all did. Happy Holidays my friend! 
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: FPP 6.0 Released!
Last post by Poporacer - Today at 07:49:44 AM
Quote from: virgil1 on August 16, 2022, 11:35:19 PMYes, UI Password enabled
Is there a reason for that?

Quote from: virgil1 on August 16, 2022, 11:35:19 PMHow would that stop the USB Sound Card from working?
There was a bug that would not allow a few settings options to be displayed because of the UI password.

Quote from: virgil1 on August 16, 2022, 11:35:19 PMI can try installing and disabling all passwords.
That should fix your problem.

Quote from: virgil1 on August 16, 2022, 11:35:19 PMI did update to the latest FPP and OS.
You probably didn't have the latest update, because it was fixed in one of the more recent versions.
Falcon Player (FPP) / Re: FPP 6.0 Released!
Last post by virgil1 - August 16, 2022, 11:35:19 PM
Yes, UI Password enabled.  How would that stop the USB Sound Card from working?  I can try installing and disabling all passwords.  I did update to the latest FPP and OS.
Last post by Poporacer - August 16, 2022, 11:02:01 PM
It sounds like you are allowing xLights to upload your controller configurations? (good idea) The error is because your PiCap was configured in your E1.31 outputs to send data to itself which is a bad thing and typically happens if you use FPP Connect and set UDP out to ALL which in your case it should be set to none. In regard to the lights not working, there is not enough info to tell.
How about some screenshots of your xLights Controller page, your PiCap's E1.31/DDP outputs page and your PiCap's Pixel Strings page? (Screenshots, not pictures of your screens please)

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

PiCap abnormal conditions: Disabling my IP address by Poporacer
Today at 11:34:07 AM

Just putting this out for research? by Poporacer
Today at 10:53:09 AM

FPP 6.0 Released! by Poporacer
Today at 07:49:44 AM

Chaining Two or more V2.01 Differential Receivers to a Kulp K16A-B cape by CaptainMurdoch
August 16, 2022, 03:21:41 PM

BBB Display by CaptainMurdoch
August 16, 2022, 03:02:07 PM

New to fpp. Having problems with multiuniverse string. by andmat
August 16, 2022, 02:16:56 PM

Matrix hang up solution by howdy10
August 16, 2022, 07:38:32 AM

Kulp f8 PB wifi by bloojoop
August 15, 2022, 10:38:55 PM

PiCap Slow DMX output? by bloojoop
August 15, 2022, 10:34:16 PM

Odd MultiSync behavior on FPP v6.0.2 by bloojoop