News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.1 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.1

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15299
Latest: Psonic
New This Month: 2
New This Week: 1
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 125120
Total Topics: 15245
Most Online Today: 78
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 4
Guests: 55
Total: 59

Mac Ethernet F4v3 newbie help

Started by Robert`Schwarzbach, May 29, 2020, 06:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert`Schwarzbach

I hope I am posting in the correct discussion!
So I just finished up wiring my new F4v3 controller plugged in the Ethernet cable to my (Late 2014) Mac mini (OS 10.13) fired everything up and _ now what? From my reading of the manual and searching around here in the forums. Plugging the Falcon directly to my Mac is not standard. I should connect the F4v3 to my router and communicate thru the network. I really really hope I don't have to do that because my router is on a different floor of my house nowhere near my Mac.
So It appears that I need o create a Static  network rather than DHCP. On the Falcon, whose IP upon startup is 192.168.1.50, change network from using the buttons from DHCP to static. On my Mac, under system prefs, network, turn off WiFi, and Ethernet (which says cable plugged in but IP address wont connect to Internet) Change DHCP to Manually. My computers IP is 169.254.85.196, subnet mask 255.255.0.0, and then what for the router? and what for the DNS server?
I have tried typing in the IP of the controller into my Firefox browser with no results.
Have pity on a newbie and proffer some advice. I can only hope it is a little easier going once I connect up my lights and start with xLights
Thanks,
Robby Schwarzbach

Poporacer

Quote from: Robert`Schwarzbach on May 29, 2020, 06:58:29 PMPlugging the Falcon directly to my Mac is not standard. I should connect the F4v3 to my router and communicate thru the network.
Because it causes additional configurations that most people don't understand. Is this how you are going to run your show? Directly wired to your computer? You will only be able to run one controller that way.

Quote from: Robert`Schwarzbach on May 29, 2020, 06:58:29 PMI really really hope I don't have to do that because my router is on a different floor of my house nowhere near my Mac.
But you would only have to go up there once to connect it and then the rest can be done from your computer.

Quote from: Robert`Schwarzbach on May 29, 2020, 06:58:29 PMSo It appears that I need o create a Static  network rather than DHCP
Correct, because your computer does not have a DHCP server

Quote from: Robert`Schwarzbach on May 29, 2020, 06:58:29 PMOn my Mac, under system prefs, network, turn off WiFi, and Ethernet (which says cable plugged in but IP address wont connect to Internet)
You don't want to turn off the Wi fi or Ethernet, you will need to make the Ethernet address in the same subnet as the F4V3 but different than the Wi-Fi.

Quote from: Robert`Schwarzbach on May 29, 2020, 06:58:29 PMand then what for the router?
Your router isn't even involved, no settings there.

Quote from: Robert`Schwarzbach on May 29, 2020, 06:58:29 PMI have tried typing in the IP of the controller into my Firefox browser with no results.
Yeah, that won't work until everything is configured correctly.

Quote from: Robert`Schwarzbach on May 29, 2020, 06:58:29 PMHave pity on a newbie and proffer some advice.
My advice would be to use one of the standard methods until you understand how things work, even if it is a little more hassle, you will probably save yourself some headache because you are changing so much that there is more places to make an error. Kinda like not cutting the extra pixels off of a string, it causes way more headache and time.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Robert`Schwarzbach

AH yes. It looks like a little household rewiring must happen. Yes, I could plug in the controller and lights upstairs and run things from my computer downstairs, but I couldn't see them. And yes I had planned to run the show from my computer. This wasn't going to be displayed it was just for me. So I will have to figure out how to get the router downstairs and try again. Thank you so much for your time.
Robby

Robert`Schwarzbach

I want to thank you Poporacer for kicking me in the butt and making me rewire the router to downstairs. It now sits next to my computer. My falcon is plugged into it and everything works great! And, I get really fast downloads finally! Thanks again!
Robby

Poporacer

Glad it worked out and I didn't intend to kick your butt, sorry about that.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

F16V4 port 5 Lights flicker by Martin Lamers
Today at 10:59:19 AM

Advatek Vortex 48 channel DC controller by CeP
Today at 05:34:34 AM

Upgraded to FPP V6.1.1 - Network Settings do not have "Interface Routing" option by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 10:24:15 PM

FS Kulp K-8B Controller, Complete by poolprousa
October 01, 2022, 08:31:43 PM

60+ Ray Wu Cables, Pigtails, misc by jnealand
October 01, 2022, 08:57:49 AM

Sequence issues from Rasberry pi by Poporacer
October 01, 2022, 07:49:10 AM

New K4-PB wifi problems by fauxton
September 30, 2022, 07:19:15 PM

Projector video for just one video source by XmasInGalt
September 30, 2022, 03:54:30 PM

Smart receiver 2.01 on F16v3 not sending data by JonD